Angry Mexicans

Bullets and Explosions Knocking Players Down? Ragdoll Effect

So, I tried to search for suggestions like this one, but perhaps due to poor search terms, I found nothing relevant, so bear with me if this has been suggested before. 

This is also a suggestion, in addition to my recent loadout/weight suggestion, that might be relevant to my discussion on how body armor might be properly added to the game

I think that it would add some flavor to firefights if players could be knocked down temporarily by explosions or small arms fire.  Keep in mind, I don't suggest that every explosion and small arms impact would knock a player to the ground.  Rather, a player within a certain radius from an explosion could be knocked down, and a hit from a rifle bullet, depending on where the hit is taken, might knock a player to the ground. 

Imagine something similar to this: 

This would be different from being incapacitated, in the sense that the player would not be unable to move unless treated by a medic.  Rather, a player character would, upon being hit, enter a ragdoll phase, exactly as he would if properly incapacitated.  However, after a brief countdown of 1 to maybe as long as 3 seconds, the player would get back to his feet.  Usual effects of bleeding would take place where appropriate.  That is, some hits that do not immediately take a player down might still cause bleeding, even if the player is able to get to his feet again. 

I think this would improve in firefights the need to avoid taken any hits, even more than the fact that only a few hits are capable of scoring a kill.  I also think the tension of taking an unexpected hit and having the misfortune of that temporary knockout would make the overall experience more exciting and allow it to feel more dire. 

I assume it has been suggested before, but in conjunction with this, I would love to see a more complex approach to injuries taken to different parts of the body.  That is, hits to the arms could be less immediately critical, in the sense that a shot to the arm is not likely to knock me on the ground and immobilize me, but they might drastically increase weapon sway, and perhaps reload time and grenade throw distance, or completely inhibit grenade throwing.  Shots to the legs, meanwhile, could prove far more capable of incapacitating a player, since I'll be damned if you are going to stay on your feet after a 7.62mm projectile has slammed into your femur. 

Overall, I think making the consequences of taking a hit of any sort more varied and severe would give firefights a more exciting feel. 

They do it in arma, the ragdoll physics, and it's absolutely horrible. You just flail around and it looks god awful. The way it is now is fine.

I would personally like to see this effect, is also sure ue4 is clearly a better engiene for this. Should you then stand on a tall roof and falls down, it could of course also give some damage. Cool proposal hope dev's sees this.

They do it in arma, the ragdoll physics, and it's absolutely horrible. You just flail around and it looks god awful. The way it is now is fine.

What?  No, no.  This game has ragdoll physics as well already.  I'm suggesting we use the same thing to add an additional instance in which the player can fall down but then get back up. 

What?  No, no.  This game has ragdoll physics as well already.  I'm suggesting we use the same thing to add an additional instance in which the player can fall down but then get back up. 

If you notice in Arma you just pop up after going down. It would be very hard to add a good looking animation from being rag dolled in any way shape or form because there are SO many possibilities. It'd be a pointless feature and would take away from other things, dev wise.

Currently as it is, you die and just pop up after revive.

this makes sense if they'll add more firing positions. I don't think an actual ragdoll is good, just force a player to switch positions in a way that makes it look like they were knocked down (eg. if you take a hit from the front, you're forced from standing to supine). A different animation would be played as opposed to purposefully switching postions, but in the end when the short falling animation ends, the player ends up in the firing position. This eliminates the stupidity that you'll get going from ragdoll to regular animation stance as we see all the time when we revive someone.

this makes sense if they'll add more firing positions. I don't think an actual ragdoll is good, just force a player to switch positions in a way that makes it look like they were knocked down (eg. if you take a hit from the front, you're forced from standing to supine). A different animation would be played as opposed to purposefully switching postions, but in the end when the short falling animation ends, the player ends up in the firing position. This eliminates the stupidity that you'll get going from ragdoll to regular animation stance as we see all the time when we revive someone.

Hmmmmm, good point.  Perhaps some mix of the two would be best, in the sense that when shot people (from what I understand, at least) tend to just collapse instead of falling in one particular direction.  But yeah, popping back to fighting stance would be a bit clunky, visually. 

EDIT:  Oh!  I know!  What if the player ragdolled normally, and then there could be an animation where, when recovering, they roll over into prone position.  From prone, we already have all we need in terms of animating getting up.  So, really, all we need is to get a means of getting the ragdolled body to roll over onto its belly and automatically return to the position the player was in, either automatically returning to a crouched position, standing, or remaining prone. 

Surely, that wouldn't be too clunky. 

If you can knock down other players in let's say, soccer and American fodblod, hockey games, then they rise up again without dying, or respawn, so why should it be impossible here. Now I am not programmer or so, tell me so I understand why, because I dont right now.

If you can knock down other players in let's say, soccer and American fodblod, hockey games, then they rise up again without dying, or respawn, so why should it be impossible here. Now I am not programmer or so, tell me so I understand why, because I dont right now.

they have a higher animation budget lol

adding a supine firing position makes more sense. Ragdolling to animated is shit and there's never a game that's done it right.

GTA V was mentioned, and while it isn't perfect (nothing is perfect, obviously), it damn sure doesn't look bad if you ask me.  What's stopping Squad from having a similar setup?  Maybe to keep it simple, set up the rolling to prone animation to end up with the player facing the direction that his ragdolled camera is facing.  That is, while down, we can see very plainly that the camera is still viewing in a particular direction.  So, perhaps the game can simply make note of that direction and then, when rolling the player over, do so in a way that has the player ending up prone facing that direction. 

But adding a supine position, if only for these rarer situations, would also help keep things looking smooth. 

What's a ragdoll?

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but here I go... rag doll is the effect of your avatar or character in game, gets killed or like in arma where you get knocked down, you're not dead you just lost your "balance" let's say... 

<--- This is called a ragdoll physics game... 

I hate the knocking down effect in Arma 3's WASTELAND is god awful. I think that little animation where you just fall on your back and have to wait till revived, really detracts from the immersion, the game provides. Also another little arma feature that I hate so much is the flinching effects of taking bullets, due to armor. That really just fucks me off the game... I hate that shit. 

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but here I go... rag doll is the effect of your avatar or character in game, gets killed or like in arma where you get knocked down, you're not dead you just lost your "balance" let's say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trya3YSoxd0 <--- This is called a ragdoll physics game...

I hate the knocking down effect in Arma 3's WASTELAND is god awful. I think that little animation where you just fall on your back and have to wait till revived, really detracts from the immersion, the game provides. Also another little arma feature that I hate so much is the flinching effects of taking bullets, due to armor. That really just fucks me off the game... I hate that shit.

I honestly didn't know what it means, I already heard it but without knowing what it means.

Thanks

<--- This is called a ragdoll physics game... 

I'm not suggesting that you have to wait to be revived here.  This would be less severe than waiting for a medic. 

But as for flinching, that's sort of how that would work.  You just got shot.  it would be worse if you could just take any non-vital shots without any reaction whatsoever.  It doesn't need to be jarring, either.  Red Orchestra incorporates flinching just fine. 

Yeah but the way the arma physics does it, it's really... just no... You should take the hit and gain negative effects to your aim or walking or stuff like that, but that specific little flinching animation is horrible, ruins the  immersion for me 

Yeah but the way the arma physics does it, it's really... just no... 

Too clunky and jarring?  Yeah, I believe it.  Arma was never a favorite of mine in terms of smooth, accessible gameplay. 

Don't get me wrong, Arma really does a lot of the things they do in game, really fucking amazing, I don't have over 1400 hours on arma for no reason, it is a really amazing game... Though no game is perfect. It has it's downfalls as with ANY game... 

Arma is bassed on a relly relly old and badly optimised engine from last century lol

Obviously, I wouldn't want to see a mechanic that would make things too jarring or clunky looking.  I'm looking for simple ways to make this work.  Our ragdolling already doesn't look bad, so I don't think there's any need to use anything other than that.  And between the suggestions that Trotsky and I put forward, regarding a supine position after being knocked down and my idea to simply automatically roll the character over into prone and automatically stand from there, I don't think it would end up being a bad effect, aesthetically. 

And as long as that's the case, I really think adding more little details like this could go a long way toward giving some extra flavor and character to the already intense firefights in Squad. 

I think a supine postion is appropriate since soldiers train to shoot from that position specifically in the event that they fall down and need to engage

Arma is bassed on a relly relly old and badly optimised engine from last century lol

yeah lol, arma's engine does pretty much everything on a single thread.  if you pull up the windows performance monitor you'll see that it uses only one core.

meanwhile they keep releasing DLC and expansions, but people on beast rigs are still getting 30fps because their engine is recycled from operation flashpoint which is literally 15 years old now.  it's like building a house on a foundation made of twigs and mud