Ryan250995

Idea - Backup/CQC Sights

As i am a player from Project Reality, i am really anxious to find out if a single feature will be brought into Squad. With many weapons in PR such as the L85A2, and the Russian AK74M, there was an ordinary battle scope (3x/4x) although they were great at long range engagements they did become a hindrance during room clearing and CQC. These weapons were fitted with a backup option, for example - The L85A2 and the ACOG on some the American M4's had a backup red dot sight seated on top of the scope itself (Cycling between sights would of been used with "C" - Cycle camera" and the AK74M basically utilized its ordinary sights, since the scope is side mounted. I do hope this idea will be hard thought through as i hope to see that element of diversity and realism between long and close range engagements within this game. Please leave feedback below, as i am always interested in what others may think.

I would also like to see backup sights and to the best of my recollection, they had been confirmed as an intended feature at some point last summer. If so, I'd expect to see it when the animations are completely redone as I think since we have a single true 3D character, your head would actually have to move to switch positions instead of a simple camera switch.

So would it be game breaking if every scoped weapon had "back up" iron sights? So with a 12x scope you just keep your eye at the top of the rifle, say an acog doesn't have that little iron thing on top you just do the same thing, 

I would love back up irons too, not for all weapons, but most. It guess it's a trade off in gameplay though. If you choose an optic you know what you're setup for and have made a decision to suffer in CQB... so i could understand a decision either way on this one.

Even a point aim type system that is not as accurate at BUIS but looks along the rifle would be pretty cool imo.

looking above the scope even with iron sights makes you less accurate anyways, your head is even further above the barrel. Think of the implications for that on an AR15 where you are already like 2 inches above the barrel. 

Wow, a question that isn't about SF groups or suppressor, I still might be dreaming. 

I'd really like the answer to this as well.

looking above the scope even with iron sights makes you less accurate anyways, your head is even further above the barrel. Think of the implications for that on an AR15 where you are already like 2 inches above the barrel. 

I don't know about you, but I see no reason to believe these backup sights not be sighted correctly. But even in the event that they aren't quite correct it doesn't matter much. Let's say for argument's sake the sight should be 200m, but is incorrectly dialed on 170m in reality and you aim for upper body on a target 200m away. Calibers like 5.56Nato or 5.45x39mmR will still be on the chest area of your target, 7.62Nato and 7.62x39mmR will still be on your target's upper body. If the sighting is 2 inches above the barrel, then your shots will be 2 inches higher than normally, which is negligible, really. A bigger factor here would be knowing the exact range to your target, and you hardly ever know that. I mean, if you're trying to shoot on a score target, then yes, not accounting for it makes it impossible to score 10s, but against a human opponent you'll still end up hitting.

I asked about this before and no one replied :'(

But I hope for weapons with no backup sights like that TA31 and Mk 4 you can't aim above the scope, but you can easily use the peep sights on the SUSAT and the iron sights on the SVD.

I hope to see not only back up sights on top of scopes (so long as they're actually used, such as the USMC putting RMRs on their optics for the M249 and M240) but also for the models themselves. You have no idea how grating it is to see an M4A1 with an ACOG and a rail that has no back up iron sight under the ACOG. Just feels weird, especially since the ACOG isn't all the way back as it would be if there's no rear sight to block it.

I asked about this before and no one replied :'(

But I hope for weapons with no backup sights like that TA31 and Mk 4 you can't aim above the scope, but you can easily use the peep sights on the SUSAT and the iron sights on the SVD.

I hope to be able to aim above the scope for the TA31 and others just because it's easy to use the top of the fiber optic strip as makeshift trench sight for short range engagements. 

The problem is that it might induce gameplay issue as the high magnifier scope would be as efficient as a red dot or iron sight.

The problem is that it might induce gameplay issue as the high magnifier scope would be as efficient as a red dot or iron sight.

But it is.

In fact, I think it would help squad cohesion, since right now, the impulse is to treat the DMR role like a sniper and head off into the hills since you're far more effective there than in CQB. If you could be as effective as irons in short ranges, you'd stick with your squad and use the extra magnification only when it was advantageous. As long as scopes are limited, then gameplay will remain more or less like it is.

I think that's sort of the point

I understand your issue of "Using a 12x power scope and having backup irons". I assume if you utilize a scope with such a magnifier, that you're more than likely a sniper, an individual who DOES NOT deal with room clearing/building entry. I am talking about Scopes the average infantry soldier would use such as the standard Russian INF scope (most of which sit above the iron sights, so backups would be below), the ACOG for M4/M16 and the SUSAT for the L85A2/LSW. These scopes DO have back up irons in real combat. Most of them actually utilize a backup red dot (Reflex sight). I will provide images below.

TA31RMR_additional_popup_1.jpg4X-Elcan-SpecterDR-Type-Tactical-Red-Greares-sc-02_2_mark.jpg

We have it in PR, I can't find a reason we could not have it here in the future. Devs? Is there a reason? :/

If there's no backup for the ACOG I'm sure a backup will be featured on the SUSAT and ECLAN once the British are added.

10172985145_8b14289c91_b.jpg

SA80wspectre.jpg

LDS_01.jpg

If there's only one type of optic for the British I'm hoping It's the ECLAN, It outdoes almost all modern optics.

If there's only one type of optic for the British I'm hoping It's the ECLAN, It outdoes almost all modern optics.

+1

Not to mention it looks bloody awesome

Taking a weapon with an optic on it is a choice and you should have to suffer some sort of penalty for it. There is nothing stopping you from taking a standard rifleman kit if you plan on being in a CQC environment. Plan ahead.

Taking a weapon with an optic on it is a choice and you should have to suffer some sort of penalty for it. There is nothing stopping you from taking a standard rifleman kit if you plan on being in a CQC environment. Plan ahead.

I highly disagree. With the whole idea that shooting while not aiming down your sights throws your weapon skyward does not fit.

Simply having your vision above the optic with no sights is perfect. Just because I take a rifle with an Acog on it does not mean I should panic at the idea of room clearing.

I highly disagree. With the whole idea that shooting while not aiming down your sights throws your weapon skyward does not fit.

Simply having your vision above the optic with no sights is perfect. Just because I take a rifle with an Acog on it does not mean I should panic at the idea of room clearing.

I play on 400DPI @ .3 in game sens and non-ads recoil is controllable through practice. Being accurate enough to clear rooms without using ADS is also something that you can get good at through practice. No need to panic if you have put in effort to learn how to do something.

I play on 400DPI @ .3 in game sens and non-ads recoil is controllable through practice. Being accurate enough to clear rooms without using ADS is also something that you can get good at through practice. No need to panic if you have put in effort to learn how to do something.

You're missing the point entirely, also the dev design for that was to make you ineffective without aiming.

Now, I love the idea of simply looking above your optics for a roughly aimed shot. It's very simple and you're still supporting the rifle and can brace yourself for the recoil.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting those with magnified optics roughly aim in close quarters.

Here's me with my vz58 but pretend I have a magnified optic on it instead of my comp m2. Easy.

gVE1zFR.png

No, I got your point. I really don't care about how realistic the game is, it just so happens realism makes for some interesting gameplay. Kits with optics are already the most coveted kits in the game. It is rare to see a single medic yet you will see people arguing over optics. Why? Because optics are powerful even in the hands of completely mediocre players. Why should they remove one of the small downsides that weapons with optics have?

From what I understand they have only upped the recoil because it was too easy to hipfire. Even if they add free aim clearing houses without using sights is still plenty doable.

Why should they remove one of the small downsides that weapons with optics have?

The downside is that there's not enough to go around for the whole team.

So you're telling me that there's one or two guys with magnified optics in the squad and because they have such a great advantage there must be something around to ruin their day? Not every advantage has to have a disadvantage accompanying it.