Captain_Spoon

APC Interiors confirmed... Tank.. Unknown

Interiors (Just curious what community thinks)  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Interiors for tanks?

• Yes Interiors for Tanks
    • No Interiors for Tanks
  2. 2. Front inteirors for APC

• No Interiors for front of APC
    • Yes Interiors for front of APC

As someone avid for Tanks/APCs I asked a dev on a live stream about inteirors... Untitleddd.png

What do you think? Should Interiors for tanks be added or? What about front seat APCs?? Please discuss :D

Ofcourse... who wouldn't want that? But they should add that later. It's ok for start to be without tank's interiors...

I actually made the Pershing m26 tank I'm working on with a hollow turret and hull so I can add the interior.  I'm still looking for interior pics so I can start on it.  so, I'm sort of for interiors even though they are more time consuming to design and implement in a game.

limited interiors, not full. You can lock the camera on the interior to only the area with viewports similar to how they did it in RO1. While full interiors are cool (see SABOW for the definitive full interior tank sim) a lot of stuff isn't required. In SABOW I find most of my time is spent staring down a periscope or sight orunbuttoned. Sometimes I look through a small window. Very rarely do I ever look around the interior of the tank at the other crew members... because it's simply not necessary. Thus a camera lock would work.

For APCs, full interior for the troop bay.

I wholly support the idea of interiors for guys riding in an APC. It is very enjoyable in Arma (apart from dying while inside).

Tank interiors I support too, but I completely understand the time it would take to model the inside as well. I would hope it's one of those "We will do it for sure, just not for a while" kind of things.

I see very little benefit to having tank interiors... I mean you're going to be looking through the view port/optic pretty much the whole time so why would you need an interior?

If anything i hope they allow you to turn out from every position that realistically should be able to.

Interiors would certainly be neat, altough I do not find them to be necessery. 

Pfft, just do what Battlefield 3 did and everyone will be happy. In any case, the question is not if they are going to do it or not, it's if they have the time and resources or not.

https://youtu.be/QGPNmGLFFcE?t=332

We only ever saw the inside of those tanks during the single player campaign, multiplayer would immediately set you on the turret camera.

Interiors of tanks isnt particularly necessary early on. We are still in early alpha stages, and seeing as how they are currently looking to improve performance, i doubt loading a series of high-res textures in addition to a second rendering of the exteriors would be beneficial to that.

But damn, would it be sweet. I doubt id ever walk in that game again. =:3

Pfft, just do what Battlefield 3 did and everyone will be happy. In any case, the question is not if they are going to do it or not, it's if they have the time and resources or not.

https://youtu.be/QGPNmGLFFcE?t=332

at 5:53 the guys climbing out of the tank on fire--EPIC! i think violence like that--although realistic--wont be in Squad though...

I really hope they aren't in. It will make it take so much longer to make new vehicles, RO2 is a prime example of this. If they are in, I at least hope that Squad doesn't opt for animated interiors. 

polished for after beta, maybe release or after. We don't need it, but its always nice.

Anything to save FPS i am happy.

I would prefer if there were as little interiors as possible. The APC transport interiors are necessary but crew interiors aren't.

The time spent on developing an accurate interior would be better spent on anything else in my opinion.

I really hope they aren't in. It will make it take so much longer to make new vehicles, RO2 is a prime example of this. If they are in, I at least hope that Squad doesn't opt for animated interiors. 

This cannot be said enough. Interiors are super cool, but they take so much time and effort to implement it just isn't worth it considering it has no real effect on the gameplay beyond some added immersion. 

When Red Orchestra 2 launched they promised two light tanks and two armored transports would be added to the game within six month. You know how long it took them to put those in? Over two years! Now a big part of that was Tripwire being super dishonest and shady, but it was clear that the amount of time it took to implement those vehicles was far, far longer than they anticipated.

If they had just skipped the interiors they could have had all the vehicles in the game at launch, which is exactly why we don't need interiors beyond the APC for Squad and they should be at just about the very bottom of the priority list. 

I would prefer if there were as little interiors as possible. The APC transport interiors are necessary but crew interiors aren't.

The time spent on developing an accurate interior would be better spent on anything else in my opinion.

they kind of are, 360 cupolas enhance awareness in ways periscopes and sights can't. Hence why i'm in favor of a view locked partial interior system.

m1a2_details_052_of_125.jpg

kind of a big deal :)

T72 has it too to a lesser degree

kdt-luke%2Bt-72.jpg

in a game:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530641289982560575/B502D482317FC6EF151074C8FC3E950B0D16DBFD/

though precautions should be taken to prevent "Fw190" syndrome where thick frames obscure more of what is visible than in reality

they kind of are, 360 cupolas enhance awareness in ways periscopes and sights can't. Hence why i'm in favor of a view locked partial interior system.

though precautions should be taken to prevent "Fw190" syndrome where thick frames obscure more of what is visible than in reality

Well you can still have the same effect without doing actual inferiors using a simplified geometry method.

I can't find the reference so I'll try to explain.

Basically the system uses blank geometry to represent the complex view-ports that are found in armoured vehicles. The result is the player can see through the view-port but everything around it is black, this way you can still manoeuvre the camera however you wish but it's an hour of work to create rather than fifty hours. 

Well you can still have the same effect without doing actual inferiors using a simplified geometry method.

I can't find the reference so I'll try to explain.

Basically the system uses blank geometry to represent the complex view-ports that are found in armoured vehicles. The result is the player can see through the view-port but everything around it is black, this way you can still manoeuvre the camera however you wish but it's an hour of work to create rather than fifty hours. 

well a limited interior is also a lot less effort then full interiors, similar to what you describe, and more aethetically appealing.