MoronicAcid

Operation Golden Dogtag Playtest Review

I am fortunate to be one of the few members of the community be invited to play Operation Golden Dog Tag. The purpose of this post is to describe my experience of the game in the hopes that the devs gain valuable insight on the design of the game, and where it is headed. Throughout the rest of this post, I will be describing the events that unfold, as well as my reactions/experiences with those events.

As the match started, the entire team proceeded to cross the poppy field near our main. As squad leader, Z-Trooper notifies us that we will push past the first objective, while Squad 2 holds to cap. Our whole team pushes through a compound. I sprinted around one of the corners and made a wrong turn. Upon trying to reorient myself in the right direction, I was taken by surprise by the momentum system. It took a good second or two to change directions, while my body turned in a wide arc within the central part of the compound. I knew I wouldn't be able to get away with such a maneuver in a firefight, and proceeded to coordinate my movements from there on with a little more caution.

After about three minutes into the game, our Squad finally pushes into the long strip in the center of the map from the East, while Squad 2 pushed in from the North. We were expecting to make contact with the insurgents any moment now. I play it cautious by bringing up the rear of our squad, checking every corner, and providing overwatch as our squad pushes up into the next cap. Two minutes later, the first shot is fired, and Squad 2 is engaging the enemy on the hills to the West. At this point I start to feel rushed, and my palms began to sweat. We continued to push west into the cap, unsure if another enemy squad would strike from the South. Surely enough, Z-Trooper informs the rest of our squad that the enemy has just capped the objective to our south.

Noticing that our eastern flank was exposed, I break my silence announcing to the Squad that I would be holding down the compound to the East, effectively holding down that flank. Two minutes in, I spot two insurgents pushing in from the South-East. Immediately, I break line of sight and notify my squad of their presence, knowing full well that I was not in a good enough position to take them out. Worst of all, I was concerned that the rest of my squad did not have line of sight on the enemies. Fortunately, Z-Trooper spots them. Now that my squad is aware of their presence, I feel confident enough to now engage. I peak the corner, spot an insurgent, and open fire. The insurgent pushed west out of my line of sight into cover, and I notify the squad to watch the road to the South, just in-case he decides to popup there. The insurgent does pop out, and Z-Trooper engages (I am unsure if he actually got the guy or not), and gets wounded in the process. As the teams medic, it was my job to attend to Z-Troopers treatment, though I neglect treating him under the circumstance that the eastern flank would be exposed with 1-2 Insurgents unaccounted for. Seconds later, WarEagle751 was downed by what sounded like a 'nade fired by an enemy cell leader. Unfortunately, reviving hadn't been implemented in the build we were playing on, so I felt useless and under powered as the squad's only medic. (Hopefully, implementing a revive system is high on your list.)

Now 10 minutes into the game, QualityHD crosses the road and assists me to the East. Meanwhile, Z-Trooper gets taken out to the West, our rally point goes down, and enemies start breaching the western compound. I tell QualityHD, to watch south, while I watch the western compound. I try to cross the road to reinforce the west flank, yet Z-Trooper advises against him, and so I stay put. I hear explosions and gunshots behind me. As I turned around, there was an insurgent pushing north, unaware of my position. Panicking, I unload a full magazine into him, kill him with the last few shots. As I move into cover and reload, I began to wonder what had happened to QualityHD, and concluded that he got taken out by the guy I killed. I ask QualityHD over the radio if he's still up, he replies that he is, and that the insurgent ran passed him before he could get a shot off.

In the events that follow, my whole squad except for me gets wiped out by the enemy. Squad 2 apparently came into reinforce, though I didn't really notice, as I was too focused on not getting gang-raped by five insurgents. If I remember correctly, we lost eventually lost that objective to the enemy, and I proceeded to get five kills on my first ever life in Squad ramboing.

I wouldn't mind continuing writing what would probably result in a five page report, but unfortunately college is calling, and I must answer. Please note that events portrayed are not 100% accurate, rather it is based off what I believed at the time while playing (I believe this will give devs better insight anyways). Questions? Bad grammar/spelling? Feel free to comment.

Edit: P.S. If you are dev, feel free to give me constructive criticism on how to give better playtest feedback.

Very nice and scenic after action report!

My only regret about the event is that I was super tired, having only slept a couple of hours after an all nighter, and thus I wasn't thinking quickly nor enthusiastically.

My squad leading could have been way better and I did take a lot of rounds that fight, cheers for patching me up repeatedly.

I remember looking at the scoreboard at one point, the entire squad had numerous deaths, myself included and you were still deathless. Very impressive. I guess I have played it so much that I am getting reckless, especially with the ease of spawn accessibility in the current build (before limitations to Rally Points and Patrol Bases). Nice to see a fresh take on it and playing it cautious and slow.

We are will be taking a lot of measures to slow down the game play in the coming weeks. We have many small things that will contribute to the overall pace of the game and we should see good improvements here. Hopefully also make me less reckless ;)

It was indeed quite fast paced, so much so that I think communication was sometimes lacking on both sides. Lack of Communication, I think, was the reason I was able to kill 4 US while camping a building before they threw a nade in. I think the eventual implementation of scopes, medic revives and more limited spawning abilities will make everyone play more conservatively and slowly

It was indeed quite fast paced, so much so that I think communication was sometimes lacking on both sides. Lack of Communication, I think, was the reason I was able to kill 4 US while camping a building before they threw a nade in. I think the eventual implementation of scopes, medic revives and more limited spawning abilities will make everyone play more conservatively and slowly

Were you by any chance the guy who rushed the last US personnel (me), and I shot at you as you were running for the stairs? Then US reinforcements arrived and killed everyone in the AO, including throwing frags into second story?

I don't think so, I was part of the squad that was defending the south flag, and ended up fighting on the east side of the village