Deadduck

Locked squads Good Idea or bad idea?

Squad locking   

398 members have voted

1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

• Yes
    • No
    • I am going to comment anyway!

If I'm leading a squad then I'm in turn taking personal lesponsibilty for everything my squad does on the battlefield. Therefore if I find out someone just doesn't fit in my squad for whatever reason, be it lack of experience, trolling, not communicating or just lonewolfing on his own with a kit somebody else might have put to good use, I am within my rights as a SL to kick said person and keep him from rejoining my squad by all means necessary. People often assume they have the right to be in every squad, which is just wrong.

You may not think about it, but squad leaders are doing everybody a huge favor. They are willing to take on a responsible role which vast majority of the people simply don't want to do, because being a sniper or grenadier and killing people is just so much more fun, right? Why are we trying to put more on their (our?) shoulders? Why should every squad be open to newbies? I've led several squads filled with people who were quite new to the game, and I have to tell you, one game with such squad is often enough to drive me to the edge of my self-control and drain me of will to live. I'm sure there are still plenty of squad leaders out there who don't mind having a newbie squad and are willing to teach people, but why should every SL automatically have to do it? I'm sorry but there are squads which simply require experienced players whom the SL knows and can rely on. If I want to go FOB-hunting and flanking, I will not take a dude who will probably shoot at everything that moves with me. I also wouldn't take a full squad, because it's unnecessary and the people I take with me would be missing at the control points.

Squad leaders should be able to decide how large their squad will be, period.

Sounds like you need to join a clan which can fill whole squads at a time and stop playing in public rooms if the above is your outlook. Lucky score, kd,  win // lose does not mater so what is the problem with having a bad game?

I have voted for yes, mainly because i don't want to get teamkilled or fool people.

Nice videos ever thought of using the in game chat rather then team-speak?. How do you know your not ruining others game play by being a mute? Clearly more then one person asking for a RP so whats the issue with dropping one and having your squad group up? Also I did not hear you answer them and tell them the reason why you just stayed silent. Get off team speak and you may find more people interact with you and play the game how you want!

Only for future vehicle squads or future sniper teams, but for infantry i don't think its a good idea. I hate it how in PR the only squad left available is a locked infantry squad with just 3 people.

I only lock my squad to keep people I've kicked from rejoining or to size my squad for the task we're filling. It's definitely needed.

Nothing quite spikes my blood pressure like a SL that takes a full 9-man squad to go play FOBcraft in the middle of nowhere. Taking that kind of manpower away from the objectives just hurts the team. Now if he could lock his squad to say 3 people so they can run a proper FOB support role, then I wouldn't mind.

if he could lock his squad to say 3 people so they can run a proper FOB support role, then I wouldn't mind.

Exactly, nobody needs a mortar-squad or trans squad of 9 people.

PR 101

This is exactly the kind of game play that is present in BF. You are welcome to play how you like on random servers but don't be surprised when other try to join and remind you it's meant to be a team game. Your squad is off doing their own thing, not communicating or coordinating. You have also taken the m4 to aid you in being undetected while you lone wolf it out. I very much doubt this is the way OWI intend for people to play

By all means flank the enemy and find their fobs, get all those kills you are trying for but have the rest of your squad provide overwatch ready to move in and cap that point you either cleared out single handedly or, most likely, revive you. You can't cap on your own and taking out a fob alone is very risky in case they spawn.

Take note guys, this is exactly the type of play those who desire locking squads want from the game no matter how they dress it up.

I only lock my squad to keep people I've kicked from rejoining or to size my squad for the task we're filling. It's definitely needed.

Nothing quite spikes my blood pressure like a SL that takes a full 9-man squad to go play FOBcraft in the middle of nowhere. Taking that kind of manpower away from the objectives just hurts the team. Now if he could lock his squad to say 3 people so they can run a proper FOB support role, then I wouldn't mind.

Sorry DesmoLocke but that isn't a great reason. Being able to split your squad for different missions is a sign of a good SL from what I've experienced. This is a new game to many and it's really only recently I have found SL that will do that even on non clan servers. They are obviously learning and becoming more comfortable in the role so now are having the tactical awareness that's required to operate that way. Given time I hope it becomes the norm.

If you do have to kick someone I really don't understand why the game allows them to rejoin for the rest of the round.

I'm talking about the future when you're the tank squad and only need 4 or 6 guys to crew 2 or 3 tanks. It's a great reason.

By the way, I frequently split up my squad into fire teams. Especially on the nightmare that is Logar PAAS.

I'm talking about the future when you're the tank squad and only need 4 or 6 guys to crew 2 or 3 tanks. It's a great reason.

By the way, I frequently split up my squad into fire teams. Especially on the nightmare that is Logar PAAS.

Excuse my ignorance as I was not a PR player. Surely a vehicle based squad would be limited to the numbers actually required in the squad so you wouldn't end up with 3 crew and 6 others running around doing god knows what?

I am glad you're one of the SLs who can do that. I hope others learn from your experience and OWI grant you the tools to make that job easier in the future.

Excuse my ignorance as I was not a PR player. Surely a vehicle based squad would be limited to the numbers actually required in the squad so you wouldn't end up with 3 crew and 6 others running around doing god knows what?

There is no ingame limitation to what a "vehicle" or "infantry" "mec inf", "mortar", "recon", "transport" etc etc etc -squad is. Its all up to the individual squad leader to decide what his squad does, and how many players he needs to get that job done, which is excatcly the point some of us are trying to make here. 

I am glad you're one of the SLs who can do that. I hope others learn from your experience and OWI grant you the tools to make that job easier in the future.

The way squads worked in PR is im assuming how they'll work here. In that you lable a squad TANK / APC / HELO and its nothing more than a regularly created squad utilized by crew members. Why would you dedicate more effort to coding UI elements to create dedicated squad types, when you can just clearly label as you wish and lock / unlock.

Lot of good points. Nice to read that so many are for open squads for anyone to join in anyhow. It's s nice outlook.

I'm thinking though that since I can name my SQUAD "4 man AT", "4 man FOBhunter" and kick any surplus joiners, that it's just more practical to be able to lock it from the start.

Practicality, if we can't lock them, are admins on servers gonna enforce squadsize and that SLs don't kick surplus joiners?

@ Frontliner. It's a good discussion with a lot of good points on both sides. I have never played PR (missed out) so can only base my experience from when I find locked squads with BF games. It may be bad to base an understanding on how it will work from a different style of game but that's all I have to go by.

You install PR tomorrow and we play some just to show what you could've been playing for the past 5 years or so :P

The way squads worked in PR is im assuming how they'll work here. In that you lable a squad TANK / APC / HELO and its nothing more than a regularly created squad utilized by crew members. Why would you dedicate more effort to coding UI elements to create dedicated squad types, when you can just clearly label as you wish and lock / unlock.

Because the game is being built from the ground up so this can be added. I think having in game set squads would be better then allowing players to chose there squad size and locking players out. 

What happens if squad 1 and 2 both want to do the same roll and drive a tank and squad 3 and 4 both want the hummers. Set squads allows everyone to know where they stand and if you join a room to see that role/squad filled your have to choose something else. 

2 men to crew a tank say 3 tanks = 6 man tank squad. Open for all clearly labeled. 

1 man for non firepower transport say 4 = 4 man squad. 

2 men for a hummer 4 of them = 8 man squad. 

Then the 9 man squads we have now. 

I always end up kicking more than half the people off my squad when I play with public players other than with propper people of my own. Its those three things, 1st people who are out there just to cause trouble, 2nd people with no microphone in 21st century and 3rd people who don't wan't to do any form of teamplay.

We need Squad Lock function as soon as possible.

What happens when someone takes the dedicated tank squad, and someone else wanted it? You're not fixing the root problem by screwing around with squad sizes are you?

You still know where you stand when you look at the squad list and see TANK SQUAD and hey if you dont see it, go a head and make one then?

Its easy to implement squad locking, it's proven to work as intended; seriously why fuck with it and make extra work?

I'll bet that the Army lets squad leaders customize their squads. :D

It depends on what you mean by customisation. Since there are no higher ranks than SQLs yet in the game one might argue that SQL 1 has been tasked with Anti-Armour duties. As such his squad will receive more and better Anti-Armour weapons than most squads by comparison. A defensive squad will gear itself differently than an assault squad, both in Squad and in reality. You don't get the ultimate freedom that you can see in Squad if we're talking about extremes, but you can get some of it depending on task, mission, terrain, type and gear of the enemy and so on.

I'd rather it be coded into the game designated mortar or logistics or armoured squads or what have you that you can be SL of rather than free for all squad making with squad locking.

Think of the corollary, people join a squad that ends up deciding to play the transport role, because nobody else wants to do it. Now you've already got too many players or the players who weren't expecting to fill this role.

You dont join a squad that ends up being transport if its labeled TRANS, which it would be; the SL would also say "Hey by the way, this is a transport squad dude".

Also: what if you want to co-ordinate two vehicles under one squad, but you only have two dedicated seperate vehicle squads. Are you now forcing two vehciles to operate in seperate squads because of capacity based squad size restrictions? Its pointless.

What happens if squad 1 and 2 both want to do the same roll and drive a tank and squad 3 and 4 both want the hummers. Set squads allows everyone to know where they stand and if you join a room to see that role/squad filled your have to choose something else.

Here's where server rules come in, correctly named squads, and "first come first serve" principle worked pretty good in PR.

This only applied to heavy vehicles and aircraft. Hummers and logi trucks where free for all, but most server has rules against taking a hummer by yourself.

What happens when someone takes the dedicated tank squad, and someone else wanted it? You're not fixing the root problem by screwing around with squad sizes are you?

You still know where you stand when you look at the squad list and see TANK SQUAD and hey if you dont see it, go a head and make one then?

Its easy to implement squad locking, it's proven to work as intended; seriously why fuck with it and make extra work?

What happens now when someone takes the sniper or rpg? Tough, you choose another role and just get on with the game. (not that there my first two of choice) Same would apply if the "tank squad" or "hummer squad" was filled. You cannot argue or complain if this is full. Better luck next time. Rather then 2 squads arguing at the start of every game who is doing what. 

You dont join a squad that ends up being transport if its labeled TRANS, which it would be; the SL would also say "Hey by the way, this is a transport squad dude".

Also: what if you want to co-ordinate two vehicles under one squad, but you only have two dedicated seperate vehicle squads. Are you now forcing two vehciles to operate in seperate squads because of capacity based squad size restrictions? Its pointless.

Two guys at the start of a game make a squad and both name it "transport" Que arguments, where if its coded into the game the first come, first served applys. And the rest just have to deal with it. 

Unsure of this, but wont they stop any none transport players from entering and using them? if so then set squads would be needed. Dont know why I think this maybe i read it and maybe its wrong and anyone will be allowed to use.

You install PR tomorrow and we play some just to show what you could've been playing for the past 5 years or so :P

Thanks but if this was 2 or 3 years ago I would jump at that offer. I can't believe they never actually sold PR as it looked like a quality product. I only learnt about PR from that Squad was going to be its spiritual successor. Now I can't get past the graphics style of BF2. I've been spoilt by modern fidelity and I can't go back. Besides I have Squad to play.