Locked squads Good Idea or bad idea?

Squad locking   

387 members have voted

1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

• Yes
    • No
    • I am going to comment anyway!

Deadduck   

Not many admins are around to assist. Server / Game rules can help protect somewhat from arseholes...

• Only able to change teams once during an entire round.

• Mute button to silence the ones that like to be a kid in global, squad and local chat as well as the text window.

• TK more than 3 people in 1 round = kick. TK more than 5 in 1 round = temp ban for the day. Additional rule such as TK 5 or more in less than 5 minutes = temp ban. If a server can keep track of TK'ers that'd be great too, then any active admins can look at the log and see some idiots simply doing it for fun.

In Battlefield I hardly seen many squads being locked, but the option was there. You really think there's going to be an entire team locking squads? No harm in having the option there so if you get some joker joining, you have a tool to block him.

Definitely have the option to lock squads. I always keep it open, as it's how I meet new players, but have it there to block the idiots. That's all I'm saying.

Admins are needed to enforce the rules

Admins will silence The "kid" in local

1 grenade dropped as you were shot/bounced of wall Kicked .? great teamplay..flying a chopper crash = kicked driving humvee IED = kicked (see the issue here yet) BAN REALLY 

"Definitely have the option to lock squads. I always keep it open, as it's how I meet new players, but have it there to block the idiot"

so you meet him decide you dont like him and then kick and lock ? what happens if its the third player you meet and squad lock dont start till 4?

what happens if everyone decide YOU are the idiot and your locked out of every squad on your own server ?

Insano   

For vehicle squads, absolutely. Infantry squads should be allowed to be locked, but they should have their special kits limited to dissuade having a bunch of locked squads.

Mad Ani   

Admins are needed to enforce the rules

Admins will silence The "kid" in local

1 grenade dropped as you were shot/bounced of wall Kicked .? great teamplay..flying a chopper crash = kicked driving humvee IED = kicked (see the issue here yet) BAN REALLY 

"Definitely have the option to lock squads. I always keep it open, as it's how I meet new players, but have it there to block the idiot"

so you meet him decide you dont like him and then kick and lock ? what happens if its the third player you meet and squad lock dont start till 4?

what happens if everyone decide YOU are the idiot and your locked out of every squad on your own server ?

"Decide I don't like the kid"? If I am squad leader and this kid is crapping up comms, shooting friendlies etc. I want the option to mute and keep him out thanks.

If I'm being a douche then by all means lock me out, I`ll deserve it! That's the whole point. Why you trying to spin this around?

Why you getting so defensive about this? You're typing in capital letters, you're saying I could be the idiot. Can we not talk civilised and discuss pros and cons? lol wow...

Something bad must have really happened to you if you think everyone in the game is going to lock the squad. As I said look at other games that have this feature implemented, it's not over utilized but nice for those that need/want it. I've had 54 people adding me to steam for being a fun, but objectively focused squad leader. I encouraged and help new players. So you're barking up the wrong tree mate. I just want the option to mute and lock when it's required.

I voted yes but there are some conditions. Servers must have rules in place for minimum infantry sizes and defined asset use. Also, we need to know if SQUAD is going to be stuck with the same 9 squad limit that PR had. If not then more small squads are acceptable. If yes then admins must make rules to ensure that there will always be space available for newcomers in their servers to join squads.

Shortfox   

How about we keep the open squad system, but implement a "temp ban" system for individuals who are kicked from a squad (aka, they can't rejoin the squad for a certain amount of time). That way, you can get rid of people who aren't team players/mic-less individuals, but keeps the ability for squads to make new friends / remain open to players who mean well.

In this system, it creates a hassle for squad leader for "locking" their squad by forcing them to individually kick everyone who wants to join their squad ... that or implement a "kick counter" where they can only kick an X amount of players, so that they can kick people who are detrimental to the team, but not everyone

How about we keep the open squad system, but implement a "temp ban" system for individuals who are kicked from a squad (aka, they can't rejoin the squad for a certain amount of time). That way, you can get rid of people who aren't team players/mic-less individuals, but keeps the ability for squads to make new friends / remain open to players who mean well.

In this system, it creates a hassle for squad leader for "locking" their squad by forcing them to individually kick everyone who wants to join their squad ... that or implement a "kick counter" where they can only kick an X amount of players, so that they can kick people who are detrimental to the team, but not everyone

The Squad Leader has more important things to focus on than constantly kicking players as they join.

Locked squads work perfectly fine in PR, it's not going to be an issue in Squad.

Tilen   

No. The option to kick is enough. That way anybody gets a fair chance at proving their worth to the squad. If it's meant to be a private squad the leader can still make room. And 2-man locked squad really piss me off.

No. The option to kick is enough. That way anybody gets a fair chance at proving their worth to the squad. If it's meant to be a private squad the leader can still make room. And 2-man locked squad really piss me off.

You are wrong, sir. A squad leader shouldn't have to spend his time kicking excess people out of his squad just because he doesn't have the ability to lock. Asset squads usually don't need more people than is needed to operate said assets. Transport squad with 3 helicopters only needs 3 guys flying the helicopters, why would they have to put up with another 6 who are just in it for the kits and lonewolfing? A squad dedicated to hunting enemy FOBs doesn't need to have 9 players in it, it could very well make due with 5. The other four can be contributing to the team effort in other ways. 

Every unnecessary person in your squad detracts from the overall pool of infantry your team can throw at the objectives. I don't lead the 'specops' squads myself, but I don't wanna underestimate their effectiveness when they're being led by an experienced and competent SL. And such SL should be able to lock his squad so he doesn't need to put up with people who will not help anyone by being there.

2 man locked inf squads don't make sense, that much is true. Nevertheless, locking squads is an important feature.

Tilen   

So then let there be a dedicated asset squad in the game with less possible members. Maybe there should be a set number of squads that can be made if people intend to form their spec ops teams or whatever. Furthermore you're making it sound like there's incredible cohesion among any team so that there could be dedicated squads with their assigned roles which would complement the team. Yeah, I don't think so and if there ever is such a thing it will be with organised teams--those do not need squad locking in the first place. We are looking at a feature that would affect public games and public games will likely have those four locked 2-man squads with somebody and their friend looking at foliage at a corner of the map. Even so what's to stop 4 pairs of people forming their assets teams, fighting over the transport vehicles and locking their squads? I think this works in PR because its player base is very narrow and--for the lack of a better word (I'm not native ENG)--on point.

Also you make kicking players sound like a major time investment, It's actually like one click?

While I see your point I don't think it stands in this case... sir. :)

Have you ever played Project Reality, Tilen? Public server teams do exactly what you think can't possibly happen in the game. With locked squads.

Locked squads are not an issue. They're essential to attaining the same level of teamwork and gameplay that is already present in PR.

So then let there be a dedicated asset squad in the game with less possible members. 

That would require precisely defining which squads can be asset squads and how many each team needs for every map and such. Quite a complicated endeavour in some cases. Squad Leaders can get very creative with defining their squad's purpose

Also you make kicking players sound like a major time investment, It's actually like one click?

Two clicks for each player. And two clicks for every subsequent player that joins your squad in place of the ones you just kicked. And you'll probably have to check every now and then if somebody else joined. I'm not sure for how long you can't rejoin the squad you got kicked from to be honest, but I think the players can try to rejoin after a few minutes. The SL shouldn't have to dedicate time to keeping his squad at the desired number of players. If you need further convincing you are free to try out Project Reality, where locking squads is used for quite some years and it's still working well.

Tilen   

Have you ever played Project Reality, Tilen? Public server teams do exactly what you think can't possibly happen in the game. With locked squads.

Locked squads are not an issue. They're essential to attaining the same level of teamwork and gameplay that is already present in PR.

Yes I see that. However Squad is a different beast. It's on Steam and it boasts modern graphics. It will and it does attract a wider audience, majority I assume not familiar with PR's community's arrangements and dynamics, and a lot of them directly from other shooters like Battlefield where lonewolfing is a thing.

PR has a much more narrow community and I'd wager that if they can attain such level of cooperation locking is redundant.

Yes I see that. However Squad is a different beast. It's on Steam and it boasts modern graphics. It will and it does attract a wider audience, majority I assume not familiar with PR's community's arrangements and dynamics, and a lot of them directly from other shooters like Battlefield where lonewolfing is a thing.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for them, they will have to learn and adapt, as we all have. As you said yourself, Squad is an entirely different beast :) I view it kinda like DOTA of the first person shooters. You get smacked a few times before you learn the ropes, and you either persist or you leave.

It's a bit crude, I know. But this really isn't a game I would recommend to an average 13 year old.

Tilen   

That would require precisely defining which squads can be asset squads and how many each team needs for every map and such. Quite a complicated endeavour in some cases. Squad Leaders can get very creative with defining their squad's purpose

Two clicks for each player. And two clicks for every subsequent player that joins your squad in place of the ones you just kicked. And you'll probably have to check every now and then if somebody else joined. I'm not sure for how long you can't rejoin the squad you got kicked from to be honest, but I think the players can try to rejoin after a few minutes. The SL shouldn't have to dedicate time to keeping his squad at the desired number of players. If you need further convincing you are free to try out Project Reality, where locking squads is used for quite some years and it's still working well.

That's two clicks he makes at the start of the game, possibly 2 more during the 15min game. In terms of time let's be generous and say that of those 15 minutes 1 will be spent kicking players. If the SL can't make stuff happen with that kind of "distraction" in 14 minutes then he isn't fit for the job anyway.

MultiSquad I meant different than PR in terms of player base.

Tilen   

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for them, they will have to learn and adapt, as we all have. As you said yourself, Squad is an entirely different beast :) I view it kinda like DOTA of the first person shooters. You get smacked a few times before you learn the ropes, and you either persist or you leave.

It's a bit crude, I know. But this really isn't a game I would recommend to an average 13 year old.

Yes but DotA for example is filled with selfish teen pricks... the point is, people will most likely selfishly lock themselves into squads and be a detriment to the team. Right now you're almost forced to join a squad (hence the name), play with them and, as you rightly say, learn the ropes.

When people go Rambo though, the opposite happens.

Gorzu   

PR has a much more narrow community and I'd wager that if they can attain such level of cooperation locking is redundant.

I totally see your point, and 2 months ago i would have agreed with you. But amazingly and dispite all ods Squad has actually survived the transistion to Steam while still keeping the spirit and player mentality of PR :) And i know it will be an ongoing battle to teach the continuous stream of new players the ropes, but this past 1½ month shows its possible!

warpigau   

Because why keep kicking when you can lock once you're happy with the squad? If you don't want to lock, then don't. I honestly don't get the confusion.

Maybe the devs need like a dot pointed list of features with "HEY THIS SHIT WORKED IN PR OK, TRUST US?" on it.

I am not keen on locking squads by SL as I don't think it promotes the team play mechanics the game and community is striving to achieve. Maybe it could be a commander option in future so he can organise the squads under his ultimate leadership. That role would need thrashing out a lot more though and is not for this thread.

Disruptive player/s can only really be dealt with by admins so I try to only play on administered servers. Kicking those kind of players and locking your squad doesn't get rid of them and closes the squad to that star player who just joined the server or the noob who's eager to learn. I am not sure but does kicking a player then lock them from the squad for the rest of the round?

If you need to remove a player to make way for a friend at least have the curtisy to explain your reasons. You may find they will leave on their own if asked nicely. I know I do, but then I try to make myself invaluable so I am less likely to have to go.

When I played BF and saw locked squads I'd really just think of them as not wanting to play with anyone else, which for that game was probably true, but Squad is that real team player game from the ground up.

A good many occasions recently I've had SLs split their squad for fob hunting / building, capping etc as they're becoming better at the role and they then become more useful as a nine man squad for assault / defence.

Why lock squads when you can simply kick someone out of a squad that is not a team player ?

1. They can simply rejoin.

2. Locking is more convenient as it shows that you don't want or need more players in your squad.