Jump to content
Deadduck

Locked squads Good Idea or bad idea?

Squad locking   

398 members have voted

  1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

    • Yes
      276
    • No
      118
    • I am going to comment anyway!
      11


Recommended Posts

Have locked squads. 1 reason, when I play with my mates I want to play with my mates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thenis said:

Locked squads confirmed for the next hotfix! 

 

 

Unless there is a decent boost to Squads choppy performance in v10 I am not sure why that's crossed out (animations?). I am sure locking squads wouldn't be as difficult as gaining performance in UE4 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

 

Unless there is a decent boost to Squads choppy performance in v10 I am not sure why that's crossed out (animations?). I am sure locking squads wouldn't be as difficult as gaining performance in UE4 though.

There was an optimization pass in v8 IIRC, which would explain it being crossed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dubs said:

There was an optimization pass in v8 IIRC, which would explain it being crossed out.

 

I'd say there is still a way to go on the performance front yet. Maybe animations will be the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

 

I'd say there is still a way to go on the performance front yet. Maybe animations will be the thing.


Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

 

I'd say there is still a way to go on the performance front yet. Maybe animations will be the thing.

Sure they do. More optimization passes will come once all the foundations are down. No point optimizing things when they're going to change or be completely overhauled in the future. Waste of time and resources.

Animation system will give a performance increase. They state less character bones are being used, that alone will increase performance. Less bones per character = less performance cost = more performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dubs said:

There was an optimization pass in v8 IIRC, which would explain it being crossed out.

 

hopefully, well see some improvement when devs update to UE4 v4.16.

 

Bug found in UE4 4.14 slated for 4.16 fix: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42956

 

I personally notice the greatest loss in fps performance after update from Squad v8.11 to v9.xx. Reading the Squad release notes for v9 in March, that's when they went from v4.13 to v4.14; v4.14 is when the bug was introduced that has a performance hit (per UE4 staff).

 

Excerpt from bug review comment:

 

I've tested this across multiple versions and it appears to break from 4.13 to 4.14. Which happens to be when we upgraded to PhysX 3.4. There isn't really any immediate fix for you, but I've entered UE-42956 for investigation. You can track the report's status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff. Please be aware that this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.

-Matt W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 11:52 AM, Major Trouble said:

 

Maybe animations will be the thing.

 

If anything the animations will make it worse. IMO this whole animation overhaul should have been done a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shadow_ said:

 

If anything the animations will make it worse. IMO this whole animation overhaul should have been done a long time ago.

 

It should in fact make it a whole lot better. The animations we have now are based on some early work that turned out not to be very efficient. It's had to be scraped and reworked. It's a big job and has taken the devs some time but there is light at the end of that tunnel. The full dev type details I have no clue about but I do know the animations we have now cause performance issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for locked asset/specialized squads, but not for standard inf squads.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Squad leaders should be free to kick members of their squad for any reason they choose.

 

2. The wait is over! It is now possible to lock squads. We urge veteran players to not lock themselves away from the community at large, especially during times of influx.

 

3. Admins are allowed to enforce a server wide rule disallowing locked squads if they so choose.

 

...am I the only one a little confused here? I guess so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locked squads are only good for clans imo.
 

Locked squads are only good for clans imo.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, -MG said:

Locked squads are only good for clans imo.

 

No, they're good for everyone. Logistics squads. Armor squads. Transport squads. Recon squads. Light Infantry squads. All kinds of squads. They're good for fostering teamwork, communication, and coordination.

 

If all you have is a bunch of 9-man squads, you usually end up with a team of self-contained groups that rarely cooperate. The total level of communication is "Squad A and B are on defense, Squad C and D are on offense", and then the teams just engage in a mosh pit battle for the rest of the match. What assets are used are used sporadically and poorly.

 

With locked squads, you have dedicated asset squads that all SLs can communicate with for support. Intel about enemy assets can be fed directly to your own assets no matter what squad has that intel, and your team's assets can then act on that information. Individual squads can have transport capabilities available without having an embedded vehicle that, if they lose it, also loses them any transport capability. Teams can more effectively distribute their manpower for specific purposes.

 

For instance, you give me a HMMWV and three guys and I will do 100-150 tickets worth of damage to the enemy team with only a few tickets lost. Dragging 9 people with me for that would not only be a waste of manpower, but would also make me less effective.

 

To me, it seems like anyone opposing locked squads have an infinitely tiny amount of imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locked squad are normally self centered individuals that don't want to work as a larger group and want to be classed as special.   Lets see the other night 4x 2 man squads and all claiming to be special and working to their own agenda.  Locked squad do not add to more co-ordination. (Public gaming).  So the result is a  third of the team pisses around anywhere but the flags. giving a massive advantage to manpower to the other side.

 

Only time see that can be useful on public servers is Admin and casters. Maybe it stops the moaning " I've been kicked from that squad " but then you get the single guy claiming to be recon, and admin getting the nark over single man squad. 

 

At the end of the day your never make everyone happy. Because if Disney cant do i what chance does OWI have.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Smee said:

Locked squad are normally self centered individuals that don't want to work as a larger group and want to be classed as special. 

Personally I think you're making an exaggerated incorrect generalization. Furthermore, I've experienced quite the opposite actually in my observations of other players and our own results where my little kid and I can destroy 6-10 vehicles with a body count in the 40-50 range because of other squad leaders calling for help or commanding us.

 

My experience is since the implementation of locked squads I've seen a dramatic increase in teamwork overall in Squad. Several 2-3 player locked squads combined with full infantry squads consistently win games due to the fact that there is a lot more coordination of the vehicles and also typically the driver or gunner is a squad leader directly linked in command chat and can react instantly to the needs of the infantry squad leaders. Logistics and Mortars can be directed where they are needed instantly without a communications chain as well. 

 

So yeah, isn't this exactly why locked squads were implemented into Squad in the first place? So can no one else see my confusion of why a feature that moves the game in a positive direction would be seemingly contridicted by allowing servers to both forbid it and other servers make it compulsory?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Personally I think you're making an exaggerated incorrect generalization. Furthermore, I've experienced quite the opposite actually in my observations of other players and our own results where my little kid and I can destroy 6-10 vehicles with a body count in the 40-50 range because of other squad leaders calling for help or commanding us.

 

My experience is since the implementation of locked squads I've seen a dramatic increase in teamwork overall in Squad. Several 2-3 player locked squads combined with full infantry squads consistently win games due to the fact that there is a lot more coordination of the vehicles and also typically the driver or gunner is a squad leader directly linked in command chat and can react instantly to the needs of the infantry squad leaders. Logistics and Mortars can be directed where they are needed instantly without a communications chain as well. 

 

So yeah, isn't this exactly why locked squads were implemented into Squad in the first place? So can no one else see my confusion of why a feature that moves the game in a positive direction would be seemingly contridicted by allowing servers to both forbid it and other servers make it compulsory?

 

 

 

I will generally echo your sentiment. Even though I'll say that on a lot of pub servers assets are still used poorly (you inevitably get a mortar squad that enthusiastically shells some random zip codes, generally getting 8-10 kills between them while also hogging a logi, etc), at least now the SLs who misuse assets are only removing 2-4 people from the fight for objectives, as opposed to 9.

Edited by tatzhit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good when it's used appropiately for clans and such, bad when there's idiots making 1-2 man squads and just ****ing around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, nicoX said:

So is it added? 

yes unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 4:01 AM, Draco said:

Good when it's used appropiately for clans and such, bad when there's idiots making 1-2 man squads and just ****ing around.

 

Well there's the other perspective which is that... at least now there are only 2 of them messing around, rather than before when new players might join their squad and get caught up in some useless strategy/griefing and get turned off of squad because of that ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Psyrus said:

Well there's the other perspective which is that... at least now there are only 2 of them messing around, rather than before when new players might join their squad and get caught up in some useless strategy/griefing and get turned off of squad because of that ;) 

 

Well...... If you think about it, only people that has no knowledge what-so-ever will be greifing. It's either gonna be A. Join that squad and stick with other squad leader explain the situation. B. If the players no their shit, they are going to leave the squad ASAP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, samwiseOrigin said:

If you think about it, only people that has no knowledge what-so-ever will be greifing

 

I feel like if you honestly feel that way, you have a rather naive view of people on the internet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×