Squad locking   

383 members have voted

1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

• Yes
    • No
    • I am going to comment anyway!

386 posts in this topic

why ?

we do it at least and we never kick out people.

even if they joined while squad name was  "do not join".  

but it is a fact that it adds additional stress if you must switch between voice activation and push to talk in the game.

and additional to that, sometimes you must switch from your mother tongue and a foreign language (in my case english obviously) because some members of your squad cant understand the foreign language. 

squad leading can be really stressful in the heat of the game. especially if half of your squad is relativ new to the game.

a close function would had made it easier for me. i cant explain how badly i wished a close function in the last weeks.

particularly at the free weekend xD

and the election results says that a majority want a close function also. maybe because of other reasons, but yeah :

• Yes  218
  • No  99
Edited by desen
putting in the vote results

I can't even count how many people got mad at me since the start of Squad because I kicked them out for reasons of: 
- wanting to choose who I will Squad Lead and play with (my friends and unit members only)

- wanting to keep people who are able to follow simple commands like "come here", "follow me", "mount up/dismount" and kick people who can't

- people with no microphone (very hazardous people to the whole squad in some situations)

- mic spam

- or just wanting to keep the squad small

I think every squad leader should be able to choose who he will play with and who he will not play with. There are sessions where you want to be as serious as possible, in our case, 90% of our play is like that. We have already got used to stuff that comes with playing with public players becuse we are unable to lock our squad. I will give just 1 example out of hundred others. We are holding a building with 2 entrances. I am holding west entrance and some random public player (if he finally agrees after telling him 15 times and does it) holds the east entrance. Couple of shots on east entrance are exchanged, and then comes dead silence ingame and comms. Couple of seconds later, I am dead. That public player did not say a word that he is down or wounded or the enemy is at his door, NOTHING. My point is, about public average players is: as a (good) squad leader, you got to NOT rely on public players in combat, only rely on your friends and unit members who understands your normal operating procedures. As in 80% public players is lacking off, brevity, map understanding and knowledge, situational awareness, no microphone, lack of english knowledge, lack of vision, your units understanding and interpretation of combat and movement, and most important lack of discipline in combat.

However with all this being said, new players that we meet on public servers, that like the game and are enthusiastic about it make for the best recruits.

Please give us locked squads, it is time... We need to be able to be in control, and trough that control fully enjoy what the game has to offer us, and to prevent possible hard feelings of kicking some players out of our squads.

The people saying that locked squads are bad for teamwork have no idea what teamwork is.

Teamwork isn't cramming 9 people into a squad and then being barely able to keep track of what they're doing. Teamwork is multiple squads of different functions working together towards a common goal. Those squads may be composed of a 1-man squad driving logistics ALL GAME, a 4-man squad operating behind enemy lines to ambush enemy supply routes and tear down FOBs, two 2-man APC squads providing fire support and transport for the team, and a mix of 5-9 man infantry squads communicating together. Thinking that having just a bunch of 9-man squads instead somehow leads to superior teamwork just flies in the face of what we see in the game.

Not having locked squads is what is antithetical to gameplay because it doesn't allow the kind of complex team organization where communication and teamwork becomes important to success. Right now we have 9-man infantry squads rolling Strykers and BTRs straight into an objective and dumping it there, or having them lonewolf because the infantry squad leader isn't able to command his infantry while keeping track of the APC in his squad. You have vehicles strewn across the battlefield because you don't have dedicated transport, so infantry squads take a vehicle to where they're going, dump it there and move on foot, then are unable to reclaim it later because they've pushed far away from its position and can't be bothered to return it.

9-man squads are bad for teamwork, both within the squad because most SLs can't manage 9 people, and within the team because there's no squad specialization, resulting in poor use of assets, an inability for squads to effectively communicate, and a lack of structure within the team, leading to confusion about who's doing what and who can do what.

The word TEAMWORK is a meme at this point to be honest.

"Some people are bad players so we should be allowed to lock EVERYONE out of our squad."

Yeah, it's totally the rest of us who don't get teamwork. You've got it down.

On 11. 4. 2017 at 10:30 AM, desen said:

but it is a fact that it adds additional stress if you must switch between voice activation and push to talk in the game.

Here's an idea for you - only use in-game voip and english - no stress.

1 hour ago, Valdr said:

"Some people are bad players so we should be allowed to lock EVERYONE out of our squad."

Yeah, it's totally the rest of us who don't get teamwork. You've got it down.

It's not about skill, it's about mentality.
When I first started playing Squad I tried to make it very clear that I had no prior experience with milsim multiplayer games of any degree beyond singleplayer of Arma 2.
Lo and behold people were patient.

It's a different situation, when people come in screaming and thrashing like it's CS:GO.
There are two types of people. People who read the store page description and people who read the store page description, but don't care.

48 minutes ago, Peerun said:

It's not about skill, it's about mentality.
When I first started playing Squad I tried to make it very clear that I had no prior experience with milsim multiplayer games of any degree beyond singleplayer of Arma 2.
Lo and behold people were patient.

It's a different situation, when people come in screaming and thrashing like it's CS:GO.
There are two types of people. People who read the store page description and people who read the store page description, but don't care.

It doesn't even matter if it is about skill, the rules say a squad leader can kick someone for any reason and I support that. The problem is you are doing nothing to promote or reward good play when you lock everyone out. It will be no different from BF where every squad is a group of 4 friends doing their own thing and not cooperating with anyone because they are uber leet pros who are better than everyone else, and not communicating either because apparently it's just SO incredibly stressful to have to use a whole extra button to chat in game.

And you said it yourself: when you first started you told people you had no experience and they gave you a chance. Now explain to me how you are going to do that when everyone is in a locked squad and the only open one is full of people screaming and thrashing like it's CSGO? Who is teaching players in that situation how to properly play the game when they are all in locked squads?

Edited by Valdr

Not being able to lock my squad, so often makes me not wanna SL. I can deal with having 2-3 newbies in the Squad. I cant deal with having 6-8 newbies in my Squad. Or rather, I dont want to SL 6-8 newbies, as at that point, it just becomes baby-sitting.

Then youll tell me that I shouldnt be SL, and that I should just join someone elses squad. Well, it just so happens that most SLs in Squad are newbs themselves, and after 1300 hours in the game, I dont want to play under a newbie SL every time I play.

So a lot of the time, I just opt to not play Squad on public servers at all.  Which I think is a shame, because I think the constant stream of new players could need an SL with some experience in the game, someone like myself.

If I could lock my Squads (or limit the size of it), I would make 6-man for the most parts. If I would have enough players in the squad that I could trust (friends for example), then I might go bigger as I would probably be able to handle a few more newcomers.

Edited by plissken

My clan SH (Spearhead) welcomes random players when we play Project Reality or Squad. Even newbies as long they are willing to learn and have a microphone.

But even we want to lock our squad at some point. For instance if we do assets in PR where you may want to keep another asset in reserve and just don't need more people. Another case is when we do infantry and need space for a mate. And the last most frequent case, especially in Squad, when players with usually no mics keep joining and spawn in nowhere with limited kits. It is really not easy to keep track of it if you are already busy with squadleading and you want to rely on competent members for it.

There is a minority of small elite clans which are not very hospital towards new people but we still don't need to reinvent the wheel. In PR all servers normally have admins, an anti nomicers policy and a rule which states that you cannot lock a squad below a certain amount of players. In special cases admins can just force you to unlock.

The solution would be to actively administrate and finally allow server hosts in Squad to kick people for not having microphones. Now I know some DEVs are against this idea because it could scare off some players. Nonetheless, a bad gaming experience for current active and experienced players causes the worst marketing you can possibly get. Gameplay should have highest priority since it means happy customers which market your product for free among their friends and this is much more profitable in the long term. ;-)

6 hours ago, Peerun said:

Here's an idea for you - only use in-game voip and english - no stress.

because some members of your squad cant understand the foreign language. 

=

some other good ideas from your side ?

Is it my imagination or in previous versions once you booted somebody they couldn't rejoin your squad? I for one personally can't wait to be able to lock my squad down to just my friends.

When I had my squad locked in PR, sometimes people asked in chat if i can open it for them, and if i had room (aka not waiting for someone else) i opened it.

That way i had only people in my Squad that actually tried to be in my squad. If they asked i knew they are interested in playing in my squad and are able to communicate, even if it is just chat.

A locked squad doesnt mean your are not wanted, it just means its not open for everyone. Asking if you can join doesnt hurt anyone. A good squadleader either opens the squad for you, or respond the reason why he doesnt. If none of the last is the case, you should be glad you are not in his squad.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Is it my imagination or in previous versions once you booted somebody they couldn't rejoin your squad? I for one personally can't wait to be able to lock my squad down to just my friends.

It's server dependent. Admins can set a timer on how soon someone can rejoin a squad they've been kicked from. I think the default is zero though.

it goes against the concept of the game; a squad based tactical shooter... how does allowing 2 man "squads" become a good thing?

Edited by Errand_Boy

13 hours ago, Errand_Boy said:

it goes against the concept of the game; a squad based tactical shooter... how does allowing 2 man "squads" become a good thing?

2-3 organized people that are friends or family and are well disiplined plus focused on a specific mission can do way more damage than an entire full squad of 9 random potatoheads is why. 

My biggest reason i want to lock squads is exactly to not ruin other peoples experience.  No matter how many times ive put it in the name (mortar 3 people max)  i end up getting a 9 man squad.  Which im not going to lead.  So those dudes that joined a squad under automatwd threat to do so end up with an SL that is manning the mortar with a small dedicated crew, and they end up being randoms that dont help the team, because they cant use rally points.  

The mortar can be immensly effwctive and its a full time job measuring out shots,  coordinating calls for fire and getting the needed supplies to continue that effort.  

Some will say "well dont run a mortar squad".  Well you are dumb.  The only way to make them effective is to be constantly engaged in that pursuit.

Just allow me to make a 4 man squad.  Lock it, and let us do our work.  

Of course locking comes with join requests and recruiting requests.

Hooves 

What if locked squads were limited?

Let's say, the developers came up with a way off the start of the map where there was already "pre-made" squads.

What I mean by this is, when the match starts, you have the option to either "Create Squad" with your own name, etc. OR, there is a drop down menu of pre-made squads which are the only squads that may be locked, I.E. Mortar Team, Logi Team. And once someone selects those pre-made squads, no other squad may be that role. 

17 hours ago, Errand_Boy said:

No, it doesn't. A 2-man squad that communicates with and assists their team is just as valuable a squad as a 9-man squad.

When I take a 4-man Recon squad behind enemy lines, taking out 5-6 enemy vehicles, cutting off their supplies, and tearing down their FOBs/Mortars, are you saying that I'm not contributing to my team? That I'm not an effective squad? Would I be a better squad if I accomplished the exact same thing, but with 9 people instead of 4?

When I'm running a 3-man Mortars/Logistics squad, building and supplying FOBs, and providing fire support as requested by other squads, am I not contributing to my team? Would it be better if I had 6 guys defending the mortar FOB perimeter, instead?

It is your way of thinking that goes against the concept of the game.

On 5/23/2017 at 2:21 AM, Errand_Boy said:

Because not every Squad will be a standard infantry squad. 

9 man infantry squads are all nice, but having 9 guys in a mortar or logistics squad is pointless. This is obviously compounded tenfold when dedicated asset squads start appearing when tanks and helicopters eventually come out. You wouldn't want to be playing in a dedicated tank squad to find an extra 4-5 guys are just lone wolfing in the squad and taking up comms space.

Yes we need locked squads. We need to have small squads like command, logistics, mortars that can be locked down so noobs won't join them. Currently over the last few days if I join late there will be 4 full squads and no one else enough to make another. It kind of sucks.

Lmfao I can't wait for locked squads because I noticed lately people are really getting super triggered & frosty about getting booted out of our clearly labeled private squads. Its like people go out of their way to join when they see the squad labelled as private. Bottom line, a long time ago I got tired of playing in random squads with Noobs, Neets, Weeaboos and some of the clan folks with their elitest attitudes and questionable activities.

First and foremost is the fact that more than often people continuously mic spam total garbage I could care less about and it gets real old real quick hearing about their sexual preferences and the amount/type of drugs they like to injest plus other weird millennial pop culture garbage I could care less about.

Furthermore, trying to squad lead for these same randoms is really frustrating and toxic as most folks just scatter like a billiard break and do their own thing only later to whine about either the lack of rally point (because they bailed lol) or the position of the existing rally (again because they bolted away from the point). Nobody wants to execute any kind of strategic plan they just want to run n' gun.

Thats why from now on until the locked squads arrive I will pretty much only play in private squads with my family & friends and kick the randoms throughout the entire game. Often times this results in me or all of us being revenge TK'ed sooner or later or occasionally you get the random SJW who goes bananas and threatens you on command chat to report you to the "administration" etc. etc. but it's well worth it to maintain my sanity plus have an enjoyable & productive game with family & friends.

Locked squads in the next patch please.

Edited by Zylfrax791
Speeling