Locked squads Good Idea or bad idea?

Squad locking   

400 members have voted

1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

• Yes
    • No
    • I am going to comment anyway!

Just now, Waldo said:

Huh? Stop focusing on the word "tons"... something that's used in a broad sense can never used for 100% accuracy... but it doesn't mean that its the wrong assessment.

Fine, let's call it hyperbole.

Facts, if you have smaller squads (as in the number of players per squad), either "locked" or not, there will more squads or as i put it.. tons of squads (in relationship to what we normally see...)

If its true, why would they put a limit on the number of squads that can be ceated?

Because there needs to be a simple and intuitive way to communicate between individual squads leaders and the numpad system works well, it also serves as a incentive to keep squads bigger without limiting the meta.

Squad sizes have traditionally been regulated by admins / rules and it has worked well. It sounds like you're looking for a server community with a leaner rule-set and casual setup, but there's no point in limiting the capabilities of others.

3 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

@Valdr, have you played Project Reality?

Also, there's no teamwork on a comparable level to PR/Squad in the BF series, with or without squads. Your examples are invalid.

Project Reality? Hmmm... sounds familiar.... Oh yeah, you mean that mod for Battlefield.

Your second paragraph pretty much renders anything you've ever said invalid. Talk to me when you can form an argument instead of vomiting fanboyism everywhere.

Just now, Valdr said:

Project Reality? Hmmm... sounds familiar.... Oh yeah, you mean that mod for Battlefield.

Your second paragraph pretty much renders anything you've ever said invalid. Talk to me when you can form an argument instead of vomiting fanboyism everywhere.

You do understand what mods do, right?

20 minutes ago, Valdr said:

False, PR is a standalone game today. It startet out as a mod for BF2 but it has nothing to do with it any more, and the gameplay has been completely seperate for years. Would you say Dota is the same as Warcraft 3? Or that Counter Strike is the same as Half Life? Because they both started as mods, same as PR.

Apart from that, you have so far made 2 posts on these forums, both have been very hostile. On top of that youre commenting on things you obviously dont have any experience which "pretty much renders anything you've ever said invalid".

way longer than ment to be. but i needed to be clear on what im noticing and why i feel the way i do.

i voted yes, but im worried that this squad lock will be abused.(example. 7 squads of 5 all locked. what is the last guy that joins the game suppose to do.  run from main?)

What do you guys think about a command role that could lock and unlock squads.  He would act as a leader for the squad leaders.  this would put one person calling the shots instead for X amount of SL's all barking at each other. This command role would have to be an elected position, and not just grabbed by first come first serve.

I often try to make this role and name my squad FOB/SUPPLY/RECON.

it allows for those that want to build at base, those that want to run supplies and those who want to scout/snipe.  i keep constant contact with my squad members, and ask the recon portion to keep me updated on enemy sightings, marking enemy on map can be extremely hard for SL's if they are leading a squad on an offensive.  This allows SL that is building to open map with ease and not have to worry about getting shot while marking locations on map.

Noticed that some times the squad fills up pretty quick and i end up having to coordinate a small assault squad on top of relaying recon, building fob, and running supplies.  this makes things a lot more difficult and it reduces the effectiveness of the assault squad, being as i'm usually at the fob and can not set down rally's, Ive been trying to set rally points down as something i can do mid supply run, but it can get out of hand pretty fast, i will eventually have like 4 people on my squad barking different things asking for this asking for that. at this point my COMS are just straight blowing up with things that need to be done.  One SL cannot drop rally's build up fobs shoot their guns while running supplies with their map open marking every single contact. i often have to put my squad members on hold communicate with other SL's, when they are set to go, i can then divert my attention back to my squad members and my duties as a builder/supply runner.  I oddly like running supplies and driving the truck and don't mind doing it but it is only worth it if you have a strategically placed FOB, Ive joined quite a few games where a team will just use FOB's as rally points i usually just disconnect and find another server at that point. FOB's are not Spawn points.  the FOB and Rally system, is probably the most crucial part about the game,  and it is sad to see them used and abused this way.

The reason i started this FOB/SUPPLY/RECON in pretty much every game i play, is these roles are over looked and people rarely want to play them the right way.   building up a strategically placed fob, can often come in handy numerous times in a battle,  just because you take the next point doesn't mean you need to discard your old resources and work, MG's can most of the time reach 2 positions ahead, but if people cant directly see the enemy they don't want to be firing suppression (they want to be that guy that goes 30/0, instead of the guy that suppresses those 30kills, and goes 0/0,  there have been a few maps where, we struggled to take an objective because people just want to spear head it with all 36 people, my initial reaction to this is i tell the other squads to wait until we can get some MG's up for supresson.  after a successful supply run i throw up some MG's up and i get my squad to start hitting the objective way in the distance for suppressing fire, with in 10-15mins we those squad are succesfully swarming that objective because they got the suppression they needed to storm up the hill.

The idea is that this game has many aspects.  People that play "Company of Heroes" and other RTS's are needed on the battle field,  Also we could use a few minecraft payers, "those kids know how to build" ;) .  we have an abundance of FPS players we just need some to fill those other roles.

Razor-OUT

Edited by Stepping Razor

It should be possible. Though server admins should be able to set in on/off for the servers, and override a locked squad and open it up.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Quick story: I was playing with my pals in a squad named HUNGARIANS. As some of you might think we were talking hungarian as a 6 man party. Random dude joins in. I ask him if he talks hungarian, he answers no and I politely tell him that he should find an other squad and ask him to leave. It does not happen so I kick him. After 2 minutes he walks up to my squad, kills both my medics and me as SL and DCs. 

While I understand that I might just ended this dude's squad carier but in our case I need to stop every five minute to ask ppl if they are hungarians and deal with them if they are not. 
Souliton? Let me lock my squad. 

well I understand your question to him. 

I dont understand why he TK your squad mades but I understood his feels. 

sometimes I just play squad randomly and join some squad. If you would ask me if I understand hungarian I will answer no. But iam pretty skilled and intuitive team player so you will not see difference. And thats true. If you would kick me. Well I will say hmmm. Shame for you. 

also you could have him in squad if he is in silent and not disturb its totally fine isnt it ? Even if he become lone wolf. 

Edited by elerik

1 hour ago, elerik said:

also you could have him in squad if he is in silent and not disturb its totally fine isnt it ? Even if he become lone wolf. 

No, it isn't fine.

What if you can lock a squad, but if it is ever under say 7/9 (maybe 6/9?) for say 300 seconds, it auto-unlocks with a cool-down on how long until it can be locked again.

This would allow groups to form up without randos dogpiling instantly, but would prevent the tiny locked squads.

I think having the option for the SL to lock support kits, or even assign them would be awesome too.

Edited by 80hd

On 2016. 11. 21. at 6:59 PM, Darthy said:

Locked squads shouldn't be a thing that you can turn on and off

Care to explain? Have you read my little story?

On 2016. 11. 21. at 7:15 PM, 80hd said:

What if you can lock a squad, but if it is ever under say 7/9 (maybe 6/9?) for say 300 seconds, it auto-unlocks with a cool-down on how long until it can be locked again.

This would allow groups to form up without randos dogpiling instantly, but would prevent the tiny locked squads.

I think having the option for the SL to lock support kits, or even assign them would be awesome too.

How does that stop randoms from joining my 6-man-hungarian squad? They harm me rahter than help. They teamkill me when I kick them, they take rally spawns away, they make me communicate in one extra channel on top of officer chat, teamspeak and my girlfriend yelling at me for playing that stupid game again. 

Edited by ukigumo
spelling

The people making those squads that doesnt talk to the rest of the team should be something that the dev's look into. There is nothing worse, and locked squads gonna compound this issue when you have 5 difference languages spoken, with SL com being completely silent cause people can't speak english.

Please God give us locked squads soon devs! Today I got permabanned on the =MM= servers for having made a "locked squad" for a few clan mates and myself, as appearantly it was against the server rules lol. Its getting ridiculous.

I cant even begin to count how many times Ive been team killed after kicking someone out of my squad, even when I politely ask them to leave first. Appearantly people see it as their right to play with you, if they so wish. Sorry, sometimes I just wanna play in a smaller squad with friends, together with a few cool randoms at most.

Edited by plissken

3 hours ago, Devastation said:

What  is the point of locking squads when you can kick people from the squad ?

So you can play the game instead of  kicking people that join your squad, all the time.

Edited by Peerun

10 hours ago, Voice said:

The people making those squads that doesnt talk to the rest of the team should be something that the dev's look into. There is nothing worse, and locked squads gonna compound this issue when you have 5 difference languages spoken, with SL com being completely silent cause people can't speak english.

This is an issue with server rules and has nothing to do with locked squads. People are already making language squads. It is up to the individual servers to set a policy related to language use.

Most well-admined servers require SLs to use english only, and others enforce english server-wide.

13 hours ago, Voice said:

Are you real? If we speak hungarian in our squad that makes us not be able to speak english? Huh... I must be using google translate a lot than to be able to respond to you I guess. 

13 hours ago, Devastation said:

What  is the point of locking squads when you can kick people from the squad ?

-Randoms usually take kits without asking and sometimes it is really important to be able to pick up an AT from an ammocache. Got wiped at least once because of this.
-Randoms like to teamkill ppl when they are kicked from the squad EVEN after I apologize, tell them what to do, ask them not to spawn, etc. 

-Randoms take up spwanpoints from your rally BEFORE you can kick them

10 hours ago, plissken said:

Please God give us locked squads soon devs! Today I got permabanned on the =MM= servers for having made a "locked squad" for a few clan mates and myself, as appearantly it was against the server rules lol. Its getting ridiculous.

I cant even begin to count how many times Ive been team killed after kicking someone out of my squad, even when I politely ask them to leave first. Appearantly people see it as their right to play with you, if they so wish. Sorry, sometimes I just wanna play in a smaller squad with friends, together with a few cool randoms at most.

Did you get a warning first or were you just insta banned? Was it really because you were "locked Squad" or because you didnt speak english in sl chat or something else?

I dont wanna go into it here, but what I can tell you for certain is that the server doesnt allow for locked squads whatsoever, practically forcing everyone to play in a 9 man squad. in the end the reason for my ban was violating this server rule.

Fyi I was playing with 3 friends, and I was using SL chat, all that stuff. They just dont allow people to play only with friends on that server (unless you are enough buddies to fill up a whole squad I guess... retarded rule is retarded rule).

Edited by plissken

Name of the game is Squad, and the strength of your team is based on these squads.  Most people are playing the game like battlefield or some other FPS.  To join the game and understand your role is crucial. here are a few things that will improve our experience.

FILL YOUR ROLE AND PLAY IT WISELY. DO NOT OVER EXTEND.

The order that your squad is moving on a target is super important and varies depending on what your squad is tasked with. Here is an example of a 9 man squad. just moving through some trees.

B4631BE76023CA7153F25433AB66C612481A69E8

The issue with straight up locked squads is it takes this perfectly rounded Squad and turns it into a Squad that has a very specific role, say like AT, or Fire support being you will no longer be able to fill all the positions needed to combat everything you face.  At this point the coordination between the Squad Leaders will have to be spot on, example "enemy BTR inbound Requesting AT support from Squad 5" ,  or "Squad 1 Assaulting point Alpha Requesting fire support from Squad 3".  If this coordination is not there, it will be just about impossible to deal with these 9 man squads. this leaves the experience of the game diminished because coordinating 7 squads will be more difficult than 4.  If you are just here to play with say like 3-4 of your buddies this might not be the game for you unless you plan to fill a team role and make it clear to the other squad leads what your plans are like running supplies, fob protection, artillery Support or other vehicle support, etc.  other than that these small squads are just hurting the battlefield with out proper communication,  A small squad also puts more pressure on squad leads being they have less protection when carrying out a slew of activities that are crucial, this entails relaying information to other squad leads, marking enemy on map, dropping rally points, building etc.  i feel like Command chat is super quiet some times because the SL's are spear heading the front lines.  this is ok in a specific situation, but if all your SL's are on front lines, this leave no Communication between the squads, and a bunch of duties left undone.  As an SL your map should be going up roughly every 30 seconds weather it be to mark an enemy position or to check progress of other squads on your team,  you cannot do this and assault at the same time, can get you killed easily if you don't have eyes up or enough squad members to cover you.

A locked squad is just going to make the battle more difficult if your team is not super coordinated.  this is why i vote yes for locked, but only under the lines of a command role, if the team is organized enough this commander can lock/unlock as he deems fit given these locked squads have a role to play.

If they just want to play with their buddies this to me is not a good enough reason to lock a squad.

Edited by Stepping Razor

Dude 9 guys clumped up like that is incredibly ineffecient in this game, even if you have some spacing.. youll see, once fireteams will be introduced in this game, groups/lines of 4-5 guys is all you gonna see. working towards an objective alongside other small fireteams.

The game will never look like real life as long as you can respawn after 1 minute x)

Edited by plissken

how are they clumped, this was a quick example of positioning, its only clumped if you think its clumped, they could be a mile apart.

" The order that your squad is moving on a target is super important and varies depending on what your squad is tasked with. Here is an example of a 9 man squad. just moving through some trees. "

edit-in the end its up to us as the gamer's to improve the gaming experience, yes they can tweak this they can tweak that, but if we just continue to play the game like any other FPS we will always have issues, and complaints.  Its like saying something is broken when you don't know how to use it, instead of saying to your self i'm gonna learn to do this as hard as it may seem.

Edited by Stepping Razor

If you are trying to tell me Stepping Razor that a 5 man buddy team with 4 randoms will be more useful than my 5 man buddy team plus the other 4 doing other stuff than you are wrong. Heck I'd even say that a 5 man buddy team will do better with the other 4 dc-ing than the 9 man messy squad. Your WOT is really nice on paper but this is a game.