Locked squads Good Idea or bad idea?

Squad locking   

387 members have voted

1. 1. Locked squads will be good for the game

• Yes
    • No
    • I am going to comment anyway!

Dubs   

Just like most things they come with positives and negatives.

Positives
- Play with mates without the hassle of a mic-less, lone wolf random joining
- You can reserve slots for mates without the hassle of having to kick someone and them getting salty
- Will be useful when more roles are in place such as crew and pilots etc

Negatives
- Multiple small squads
- Entices experienced players stacking into squads and new guys left to figure things out themselves
- Secondary effect of noobs being left to fend for themselves, chaos with SL communication and team co-ordination due to experienced players being in their own squads and noobs be like "WHAT DO I DOOOOO?"

I didn't vote, split between it being both good & bad.

Locked squad are an essential tool required for the advanced organizational structures required in the game. FOB Hunters, Recon, Logistics, Artillery Support, and practically any vehicle squad requires locked squads. Most of the 9-man squad in the game currently are generally wasting manpower. Taking 9 people to do any job is more often than not overkill, and it usually ends up being too many or too few for the task. Not to mention the organizational skill required to keep 9 guys together, something that is sorely lacking in the player base.

I would say locked squads are generally a good idea, especially once we get vehicles in the future, but we need to set some conditions under which you'll be able to lock. If you're leading an ifantry squad 4 players seems like a sensible minimum for locking the squad.

Karm   

I voted both.

I would like to be able to have smaller squads to do certain things such as backcapping. But as said in that other topic, I'm scared of new players having no place left to learn as all truly good squads will be locked.

I would say locked squads are generally a good idea, especially once we get vehicles in the future, but we need to set some conditions under which you'll be able to lock. If you're leading an ifantry squad 4 players seems like a sensible minimum for locking the squad.

First of all, that would necessitate defining an "infantry squad". Secondly, 2-3 man infantry squads are an important niche. FOB hunting, Ambushing, Recon, etc. This is just something that's left up to server administration.

What would be helpful, that I've suggested previously, is the ability to set your squad size so that you don't have to lock the squad to keep it at a certain size.

Mad Ani   

No harm in having the option. Doesn't have to be used.

I agree with a post above, where people get salty about being kicked out of the squad. Had people TK me for it!!! I tend to say on comms making space for a friend, sorry if you're removed, want to have the same squad I had last round.

I voted NO

Only a small percentage of players will ever come here to the forums and be active and i would like to think that most of us share the same views regarding the game. So yes small locked groups of interacting players playing for the team sounds good. Sadly in reality I do not see this happening.  

Deadduck   

That is my fear ! 

If your a new guy or late to the server and the only option is to start a squad because all others are locked then we arn't going to encourage more to join or stay 

Mad Ani   

That is my fear ! 

If your a new guy or late to the server and the only option is to start a squad because all others are locked then we arn't going to encourage more to join or stay 

What about when you get some joker joining and leaving constantly? If he joins and TKs. If he joins and craps up comms?

Speaking of which, had 2 guys join from the enemy team and spawned on our super FOB, they TK'd everyone and then changed back to the other team. Votekick needs to be implemented!

I think that we need squad locking the moments vehicles hit, transport squads, tank squads... it´s just annoying to have to many people in those squads sometimes. (At least in PR, and thats why squad locking is a thing in that game)

Deadduck   

What about when you get some joker joining and leaving constantly? If he joins and TKs. If he joins and craps up comms?

Speaking of which, had 2 guys join from the enemy team and spawned on our super FOB, they TK'd everyone and then changed back to the other team. Votekick needs to be implemented!

As not everyone will squad lock ,squad locking wont solve this and anyway  they can join alone and still be a knob head

Also team switching is now not so easy as it incurs a large (not large enough) spawn timer

Knob heads are dealt with buy Admins

The game or any rules wont make an arsehole a nice guy

What happens if you have 8 teams of 4 and your mate wants to join do you kick someone from the squad and hope he leaves because hes now a lone ranger

Endgame   

Voted "Yes" because of some obvious reasons.

BUT i think there should be a option for the Server host/owner to turn this off/on. So we have possible servers without and with locked Squads available.

Endgame   

No locked squads for me! You'll just end up with 8 locked squads with 4 people in each one! When getting in a full squad is promoted

just to add this: i don't think this will happen that often. Since you're very limited in your kits with only 4 people in your Squad. It luckily pays off to have a full Squad, rather than "lonewolfing with your 1337_friend" :)

Karm   

I think it's a good idea as long as admins have an option to enable or disable the feature for their servers.

I fear that most 'good' players would migrate to the servers with the option to lock their squads enabled. Because if the option is in the game, then why not use it? What's the advantage of allowing random people to join if you can choose to impose a restriction on it? It may be a server setting, but in practice, if all servers end up using the same setting, it's not much of a choice any more.

Mad Ani   

As not everyone will squad lock ,squad locking wont solve this and anyway  they can join alone and still be a knob head

Also team switching is now not so easy as it incurs a large (not large enough) spawn timer

Knob heads are dealt with buy Admins

The game or any rules wont make an arsehole a nice guy

What happens if you have 8 teams of 4 and your mate wants to join do you kick someone from the squad and hope he leaves because hes now a lone ranger

Not many admins are around to assist. Server / Game rules can help protect somewhat from arseholes...

• Only able to change teams once during an entire round.

• Mute button to silence the ones that like to be a kid in global, squad and local chat as well as the text window.

• TK more than 3 people in 1 round = kick. TK more than 5 in 1 round = temp ban for the day. Additional rule such as TK 5 or more in less than 5 minutes = temp ban. If a server can keep track of TK'ers that'd be great too, then any active admins can look at the log and see some idiots simply doing it for fun.

In Battlefield I hardly seen many squads being locked, but the option was there. You really think there's going to be an entire team locking squads? No harm in having the option there so if you get some joker joining, you have a tool to block him.

Definitely have the option to lock squads. I always keep it open, as it's how I meet new players, but have it there to block the idiots. That's all I'm saying.

Ryoz   

Just like most things they come with positives and negatives.

Positives

- Play with mates without the hassle of a mic-less, lone wolf random joining

- You can reserve slots for mates without the hassle of having to kick someone and them getting salty

- Will be useful when more roles are in place such as crew and pilots etc

Negatives

- Multiple small squads

- Entices experienced players stacking into squads and new guys left to figure things out themselves

- Secondary effect of noobs being left to fend for themselves, chaos with SL communication and team co-ordination due to experienced players being in their own squads and noobs be like "WHAT DO I DOOOOO?"

I didn't vote, split between it being both good & bad.

100 % my opinion! 

Vex530   

I fear that most 'good' players would migrate to the servers with the option to lock their squads enabled. Because if the option is in the game, then why not use it? What's the advantage of allowing random people to join if you can choose to impose a restriction on it? It may be a server setting, but in practice, if all servers end up using the same setting, it's not much of a choice any more.

That is unfortunately very true, but then again I'm sure even good players will want to form open squads to help out new people since everyone's goal would be to have populated servers with a lot of action. Well that's my view on it, I understand that everyone who plays doesn't share the same view on it.

It be in many serverhosters and their respective clans interest to make room for new players.

They all want players visiting and for recruitment. Some servers will ofc be very elite but that's how it should be IMO.