YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

A friendly reminder to VFX artists when tanks come out.

In videos, I see a modern tank (About 1960's on onwards) fire it's cannon and then a small puff of contrasting white smoke pours out the barrel a moment after firing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's excess gas being pushed out by the bore evacuator. Anyway, it's a feature some games seem to miss. I have faith in the devs because they have provided some stunning visual effects and overall realism but this is just a friendly reminder.

The amount of gas and time it takes for it to exit differs from tank-to-tank. The Abrams pushes out a little bit of gas very shortly after firing.

https://youtu.be/kBwBsaA8VdI?t=2m

https://youtu.be/pCjHFbcVHQA?t=1m36s

Where as the T-90 dispenses a thicker cloud and seemingly takes a fraction of a second longer for the gasses to come out.

Mmmmm, yummy feedback.

Thanks for the footage.

Oh man, I will go Picasso on this.

Cheers

Great post, clear, concise and no hostile demands anywhere to be seen. It looks like Bruno appreciates it too!

Slightly off topic but still talking about MBTs, I remember a few weeks back a guy who was or is currently serving in an armoured division and he said that as the gunner of an MBT, you don't see the turret like this as it is in most combined arms games. Instead you're looking down an actual sight and it looks a lot like this, that screen capture is from the film "Lebanon" by the way.

As someone who almost exclusively plays infantry I'm really looking forward to how Offworld will handle armour and the heavier vehicles on their own terms when they're not restricted by an outdated engine.

Great post, clear, concise and no hostile demands anywhere to be seen. It looks like Bruno appreciates it too!

Slightly off topic but still talking about MBTs, I remember a few weeks back a guy who was or is currently serving in an armoured division and he said that as the gunner of an MBT, you don't see the turret like this as it is in most combined arms games. Instead you're looking down an actual sight and it looks a lot like this, that screen capture is from the film "Lebanon" by the way.

As someone who almost exclusively plays infantry I'm really looking forward to how Offworld will handle armour and the heavier vehicles on their own terms when they're not restricted by an outdated engine.

I remember seeing Desert Storm footage of M1's firing at Iraqi tanks seen through thermal optics on the tank. Here it is. https://youtu.be/qDm8TW6HCU8?t=6m21s

Bruno, if you guys include the autoloader shell ejection for tanks I will be the happiest man on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xXYz1qv40

This mod is seriously one of the only ones that does and it's such a cool little feature. Also, randomized side numbers and markers would be great. Just the little things for down the road.

I have no doubt you will make vehicles look amazing!

Bruno, if you guys include the autoloader shell ejection for tanks I will be the happiest man on the planet.

This mod is seriously one of the only ones that does and it's such a cool little feature. Also, randomized side numbers and markers would be great. Just the little things for down the road.

Oh yeah, well I,m gonna have to do that.

Authenticity :)

Cheers man!

Mmmmm, yummy feedback.

Thanks for the footage.

Oh man, I will go Picasso on this.

Cheers

Oh yeah, well I,m gonna have to do that.

Authenticity :)

Cheers man!

Just wanted to say... I f***ng love your attitude. You deserve all the best! Keep it up.

On 2/10/2016 at 7:20 PM, Tibbles said:

What other tanks use that system? I thought most tanks store spent autoloader casings inside the cabin, usually in a bin behind the turret. What benefit would there be to shooting a small frisbee out the top of the hull? :P

Edited by Mumble

12 minutes ago, Mumble said:

What other tanks use that system? I thought most tanks store spent autoloader casings inside the cabin, usually in a bin behind the turret. What benefit would there be to shooting a small frisbee out the top of the hull? :P

T62 did it with full shells, BMP-3, and some others I can't think of right now. T64 and T80 retain the stub in the autoloader.

27 minutes ago, Mumble said:

If you would have been inside the Fighting compartment of a Soviet designed Tank, you'd understand why you get those out of your way. T55/type 59 are basically a living nightmare. And you're supposed to be 4 in there. Whatever you need to do to have less "crap" inside you do it. And trapping the spent rounds out of the FC is thousand times better than having them inside. Also there's only a couple of tanks curently using an Autoloader. The AMX56 Leclerc, Type 90. And it also had a trapdoor UNDER the hull, it was since blocked in favour of a floor bin. 

Disregard "lightest MBT" idiocy.

1 minute ago, KTMR29 said:

If you would have been inside the Fighting compartment of a Soviet designed Tank, you'd understand why you get those out of your way. T55/type 59 are basically a living nightmare. And you're supposed to be 4 in there. Whatever you need to do to have less "crap" inside you do it. And trapping the spent rounds out of the FC is thousand times better than having them inside. Also there's only a couple of tanks curently using an Autoloader. The AMX56 Leclerc, Type 90. And it also had a trapdoor UNDER the hull, it was since blocked in favour of a floor bin. 

Ah, gotcha, looks very cramped. That implementation of an autoloader takes up a ton of cabin space. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, KTMR29 said:

Disregard "lightest MBT" idiocy.

the CV90 got it right when they decided to eject casings straight up

It doesn't look cramped. It's fucking cramped. And Chinese engineering makes the Type 59 even worse. I've been only a couple of times inside one of ours for emergency drills (taking out wounded tankists). I'd rather be kicked in the nuts with studs than fight from there.

Steel Beasts Pro PE is one of the most accurate simulators of actual tank mechanics I've ever seen. I've been following their development for quite some time and they actually make tank simulator software for many militaries around the world for familiarization and platoon tactics.

It's not necessary to simulate the entire interior model, but at least 2D/2.5D images of the critical systems would be awesome. Simulation of things like the FCS, ready rack reloading, gyroscopic stabilization, and damage modeling would be a huge step up from PR and pretty much everything else in the industry.

Edited by joshuaho96