Sneakydude

AMD, info question topic

FPS .. 55 - 65

CPU .. i5 6600 3.3 turbo 3.9

GPU .. GTX 950

RAM .. 16GB DDR4 2133MHz

RES .. 1280 x 720

SETTINGS .. Epic

i have noticed if i change my res to 1920 x 1080 my FPS drops to 15 - 20 so changing the res to 1920 x 1080 can cause FPS drop for me as you can see i use 1280 x 720 and get no FPS drop even on forest maps or with smoke going off ...

4k monitors, some of them have settings to cap at 30fps... this i didn't know was possible?

will look into it further.

Ah ok, yes... appears that some monitors using the 4k output ports can cause fps to stop at 30fps. I thought it automated the res, hz

when you wanted the card to function like. Instead the default settings on it, are capped at 30.

FX processors run better with some Nvidia GFX Cards due to Nvidia having the DX11 DCl's in place for better multithreaded performance in DX11.

Which GPUs do you suggest are the ones it may work for? Some might have the means to test what you're advocating.

It almost seems criminal to me that Microsoft makes XAudio2 single threaded and not offloading resources to dedicated sound processors pushing the code through the CPU. They utilize the GPU architecture in DirectX so why oh why not utilize the audio hardware if it's available. Is this situation going to change in the future with DX12?

AMD Player Says: Hey guys why is AMD performance so much worse than Intel?

Squad Says: No No, it's a EPIC issue.

Epic Says: No No, it's a SQUAD issue.

AMD Player Says: Cool beans, I just given SQUAD a negative review and told all my friends what a bucket of fail it is. Cherio!

And that's the story of AMD and Squad.

AMD Player Says: Hey guys why is AMD performance so much worse than Intel?

Squad Says: No No, it's a EPIC issue.

Epic Says: No No, it's a SQUAD issue.

AMD Player Says: Cool beans, I just given SQUAD a negative review and told all my friends what a bucket of fail it is. Cherio!

And that's the story of AMD and Squad.

Luckily it is still in Alpha and there are a lot of things that can still be done to improve the situation for AMD users. 

If your buying a mobo go with the LGA 1151 socket.  I found the AsRock H110M Combo-G motherboard supports DDR3 and DDR4.  ITs $74 on Newegg.

This would allow you the cheapest upgrade path.  In time you could upgrade to DDR4.  An i3-6100 is $129.  For about $200 you could have a cpu setup that could easily handle Squad.

Asrock is a good company, I am a partner of them. They used to make Asus OEM boards.

Atleast that what my reps used to tell me. I never looked into it.

However if your getting new yes 1151, but if your going used i7 s1150, s1155, s1156 work amazing. Same performance for many games. I have all 3 here.

If you can afford 129 like oldschook61 suggests into the i3, i would not go that route for gaming but add in another 129 and get the i5 quad core.

If your looking into videocards look at the nvidia gtx 960ti 4gb SC card. It really has good performance.

If you need more suggestions, your very welcome to PM me. I have been doing this for 22 years + now and would not mind offering some suggestions or look at some parts you have picked out.

Thanks Oldschool61 for the suggestions you made.

I have solved this problem finally :-)

I have ordered 

Msi Z170a pcmate mainboard

i5 6600k 

2 x 8 gb 2400 ghz DDR4 ram kit

I have already 

R9 290x 

So finally , I hope I will see good results

How have you made out with the tower? we need your results. The r9290x with the intel?

It is opposite of the setup i posted with AMD + Nvidia card = no issues. AMD + AMD issues.

We need your results please

AMD FX 8350 8 Core 4Ghz @ 4.8 Ghz
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4Gb
Corsair RM850
Samsung EVO 840 250Gb SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
Logitech G502 Promethius mouse
Roccat Isku Keyboard
SoundBlaster Z dedicated sound card (on-board disabled through bios)
Cooler Master storm Sirus 5.1 headpones
ASUS VG278HE 27" @ 144Hz

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

As an AMD + Nvidia i had problems VOIP chatter lags me out to 10fps or less. I didi the removing of the Voice file tip and things stabilised to 30-35 on highly populated servers but i will get 50-60 on a server with below 50 players.

The GTX 950's overclock like crazy to about a 960.  If your on a tight budget the i3 6100 will perform almost the same as the entry level i5 in MOST games.  There are some exception obviously but most games will run the same with a higher clocked i3 compared to a lower clocked i5 (as long as they are multithreaded).

i3-6100 is about $130, the slowest i5 is $190 approx.  If you go i3 route the 950 will be a good fit.  The 950 will bottle neck the i5 at times unless you OC it to 960 performance.

This topic is a discussion topic on hardware. I am a hardware tech, and personally have 1 friend, clanmate running amd fine. The other clanmate friend has AMD and it runs like crap.

There is some major differences here.

1. both have the same cpu

2. both have liquid cooling

3. 1 has gtx 760 4gb video 0 problems

4. 2 has r290 4gb video with all kinds of problems.

I want others to explain what hardware they have, and post your approx specs. This will help in determining if its directly related to hardware.

*Note*

If you come here to bitch, fight or cause problems get the F out. I have no problems here with Intel, and Nvidia so i am only trying to see if we can do some work around and send suggestions to my AMD guy, for help.

AMD user here. You didn't say which os they were running and drivers. That is probably the most important thing to know esp if the R9 290 is running Windows 10 or not. Any R9 290 should be more so able to run Squad extremely well unless system bottleneck.

Now I have Windows 10 and only problem is freezes sometimes, this is a Windows 10 problem and I have uninstalled almost everything and have a clean system. For rest my system is stable and run Squad depending on map with tweaked epic settings @ 35-55fps. Crimson and latest squad updates did a lot of good for my system and fps improved a huge deal. I have never had 'the voice bug'. 

specs

w10

5 ghz fx-9590

hyper x fury 120gb ssd

2x4gb 1866mhz hyper x fury

sabtertooth tuf 990fx r2.0 g3

r9 280 3gb

latest crimson drivers beta

greets and good luck!

AMD FX 6300
AMD Sapphire VaporX R9 280x
Kingston hyper x 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte 970A ud3p MB
Win 10

All is good till 40 players are on server. At 40 players I get 50 FPS steady with no drops (med settings), but on full 72 server its around 25 - 30. 

AMD user here. You didn't say which os they were running and drivers. That is probably the most important thing to know esp if the R9 290 is running Windows 10 or not. Any R9 290 should be more so able to run Squad extremely well unless system bottleneck.

Now I have Windows 10 and only problem is freezes sometimes, this is a Windows 10 problem and I have uninstalled almost everything and have a clean system. For rest my system is stable and run Squad depending on map with tweaked epic settings @ 35-55fps. Crimson and latest squad updates did a lot of good for my system and fps improved a huge deal. I have never had 'the voice bug'. 

specs

w10

5 ghz fx-9590

hyper x fury 120gb ssd

2x4gb 1866mhz hyper x fury

sabtertooth tuf 990fx r2.0 g3

r9 280 3gb

latest crimson drivers beta

greets and good luck!

both ran windows 7 same results, then upgraded to windows 10, both the same. Only 1 of the 2 has an issue. It was heading towards AMD+AMD. not AMD + Nvidia.

Everything updates, they ran bios updates, all the bells and whistles.  I had the one problem user test everything. He is going to try the test again sometime down the road but he uninstalled squad.

As an automotive technician i find that in the case of diagnosing systems that are faulty it isn't always the obvious despite the symptoms. That is why i appreciate that rather than condemn AMD + AMD  you have opened the floor for feedback.

I know AMD architecture in general lags behind Intel and Nvidia because they handle tasks slightly different however in 99.9% of applications it is not an issue that effects playability but merely benchmark scores. For the majority of gamers benchmark scores are irrelevant, why would we need a high performance sports car with for example 500bhp yet the average speed limit is 60mph and a family saloon is capable of comfortably reaching and cruising to and beyond that limit?. It's personal choice.

My point is that AMD CPU's may not break any track records but for 99% of all applications and games the architecture has been sufficient to allow us users to play with average to above average fps and almost in all cases games where comfortably playable with very few issues. Now along comes the 1% where the experience is not so favourable and game breaking from personal experience two certain EA titles both sharing UE4 comes to mind, Squad and Ark (i haven't tried any other titles on the engine) Both very CPU intensive but at the same time highly unoptimized to efficiently utilize hardware.

Between UE4, the developers and more recent light speculates Microsoft between them they will have to find a solution AMD users make up 30-40% if not more of the total player base and customer pool out there and it would not bode well for a title to end up excluding that percentage and revenue. 

Between UE4, the developers and more recent light speculates Microsoft between them they will have to find a solution AMD users make up 30-40% if not more of the total player base and customer pool out there and it would not bode well for a title to end up excluding that percentage and revenue.

Here is the thing. The problem doesn't affect all AMD CPUs so it's not the 30-40% of the the player base. AMD chose a path of multicore over single threaded performance. Seemingly a wise choice at the time. If your struggling with getting more performance for your car from one engine adding more seems the simplest solution. That's until people don't get around to use the extra engines. More recent AMD CPUs have the single threaded grunt to not be as affected as previous generations.

Ideally whoevers code needs adapting to be more efficient with multicore CPUs which should eventually benefit us all and not just those suffering currently.

Pretty much from reports effects all in the fx series bulldozer and piledriver except maybe the 900 that in itself acounts for the majority of AMD users who own the game now as it is quite common to own 6-8 cores.

Anyway was just offering up that i have both an AMD cpu and an Nvidia 970 card and i have issues which kinda throws a bit of a spanner into the AMD+AMD theory. It certainly does sound like something to do with code and single thread performance we can only wait.

Its an issue with the high quality sounds in Squad.  Unreal Engine 4 uses the XAudio2 API for sound processing.  This API diverts all sound processing to the CPU (even if you have a dedicated sound card) and since FX has bad single threaded processing, and processes the sounds 6x slower than intel, it backs up most other processing as everything is thrown through core0 that matters.   They thought it was something Epic had to fix, but they were unable to as XAudio2 engine is a microsoft API.  After this was found they added a fun new objective on the Unreal Engine 4 road map for reworking how sounds are processed, which may or not be relevant to squad.

"Full Audio System rewrite/refactor"

https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap

Also note, DX12 added to UE4 compatible in ~April.  After DX12 is added to the engine, the squad devs can start working on their part.  We're almost there AMD Users, just hold out or buy Intel.

Edited by childofthekorn

Cheers m8 for the detailed explanation now i can quote your post in explaining to the next frustrated person demanding a fix.

Will Be fixed with direct x 12
Plus optimazations coming in BETA phase

Plus the new animation system currently being slaved upon .

Edited by grimshadow

On 3/3/2016 at 4:50 AM, Axle84 said:

As an automotive technician i find that in the case of diagnosing systems that are faulty it isn't always the obvious despite the symptoms. That is why i appreciate that rather than condemn AMD + AMD  you have opened the floor for feedback.

I know AMD architecture in general lags behind Intel and Nvidia because they handle tasks slightly different however in 99.9% of applications it is not an issue that effects playability but merely benchmark scores. For the majority of gamers benchmark scores are irrelevant, why would we need a high performance sports car with for example 500bhp yet the average speed limit is 60mph and a family saloon is capable of comfortably reaching and cruising to and beyond that limit?. It's personal choice.

My point is that AMD CPU's may not break any track records but for 99% of all applications and games the architecture has been sufficient to allow us users to play with average to above average fps and almost in all cases games where comfortably playable with very few issues. Now along comes the 1% where the experience is not so favourable and game breaking from personal experience two certain EA titles both sharing UE4 comes to mind, Squad and Ark (i haven't tried any other titles on the engine) Both very CPU intensive but at the same time highly unoptimized to efficiently utilize hardware.

Over all the years being involved with pretty much all things in this lovely world i can honestly say Intermittent issues can really piss a person off. Especially when 2+ things are effecting the intermittent issue at the same time. Oh how i would love to be able to kill that with one stone. But in all honesty, it usually ends up being the person was power surged. 2 places are common, Hydro, and Network. Now we can add in a 3rd, self surged USB.

The reason i was pointing to AMD + AMD was because i believed the Nvidia video card took some of the blow to help stabilize the persons system with the same AMD CPU the AMD + AMD user had major issues with. Plus after i found out he had a 4k monitor capped at 30fps that made me throw my hands up in the air as a tech. Its expected sometimes when your sitting over the phone asking questions. The right answers dont come out, like "I forgot to tell you i just bought a new monitor" Its a "4k monitor" Hey 3 weeks later, "I found out my monitor was set to "30fps cap" now i am testing it in games again. Did you load up squad yet so i can post your results? "NO" its uninstalled. /30 facepalms later.... ok.

I am glad we are having this open topic thread. I know for a fact it has nothing to do with Squad, or the development. It will end up being them who fixes it mostly in the end because of other manufactures. Drives me nuts fixing other peoples problems too.

Keep working it up, eventually a common sequence of events will happen. Either stabilizing it or fixing it.