Relatively simple concept. Somewhat ties in with Tartantyco's Materiel system: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/90-resource-based-spawning-system/

Spawning and building would be unaffected, but the intent of this system is to have resupply managed in a more realistic and in-depth fashion

Situation:

An infantry squad is running low on ammunition, and call for a resupply. The logistics driver or pilot asks what they need, the squad replies "# X mags, # AT launchers, # bandages". The logistics player opens a menu when in-vehicle, and fills a supply crate with the requested items. The crate is dropped off, the squad gets everything they need, dependent on whether the crate fits it all. 

Project Reality had ammo as a universal thing, resupplying everything from rifles to HAT launchers from the same pools. This caused problems because it didn't allow the players resupplying to prioritise what they wanted resupplied from their kits, often leading to a popped crate before the AT launcher they really need to use is replenished. 

As an extension to this system, when squad leaders request supplies, they could have a menu that sends a crate loadout to the logistics/transport squad and they can apply it to their crate, with gui elements reflecting which squad needs it, when they needed it and their current location on the map highlighted.

This means you can't build FOBs from ammo crates (Materiel), and can't resupply off crates intended for building. 

So you would have the crates limited in size aswell making it necessary to take multiple crates? Maybe a weight system like the one in DayZ where everything has it's own weight and the crate has a weight limit, that gives way to priotising what crate you take first too.

I like it, the poor sod loading the crate up will get some stick if they get the loadout wrong though

I'm not entirely sure that would be the case, not if the interface is simple enough, either that or it could be, and I hate the expression, a Hardcore mode? Servers can chose to use it or a simple one crate fits all system?

EITHER you convert materiel into specific ammunition at the point of transfer, at which point it's a completely superfluous system as you can just request specific ammunition from a Supply Dump instead(Which solves the initial problem posed by Morbo).

OR you have to convert materiel into specific ammunition at the point of extraction, which means that you will have to hang around at main base until you get a specific order, then you load that up, but OOPS, the guys who needed it are now dead and you are now in the middle of nowhere with a completely useless cargo that you can't do anything with.

It just results in a ton of dead runs, which significantly increases the workload of logistics squads, resulting in the manpower dilution issue that I describe in the post Morbo links to in the OP. I use a single, universal resource in my system for a very good reason.

EITHER you convert materiel into specific ammunition at the point of transfer, at which point it's a completely superfluous system as you can just request specific ammunition from a Supply Dump instead(Which solves the initial problem posed by Morbo).

OR you have to convert materiel into specific ammunition at the point of extraction, which means that you will have to hang around at main base until you get a specific order, then you load that up, but OOPS, the guys who needed it are now dead and you are now in the middle of nowhere with a completely useless cargo that you can't do anything with.

It just results in a ton of dead runs, which significantly increases the workload of logistics squads, resulting in the manpower dilution issue that I describe in the post Morbo links to in the OP. I use a single, universal resource in my system for a very good reason.

But this does not imply anything 

OK died Squad, Box supplies can be relocated to another squad. 

That definitely would be no problem, but a dozen more immersion in the game.

I liked :)

"Hey, Rifleman squad. Want all this Heavy AT and Sniper ammo I have in the back?"

Also, I don't see how it would increase immersion. More like increase frustration.

The game developers have stated that they're not opting for Arma-style complexity, and for good reasons. Your suggested system, while realistic, is very time consuming, frustrating and unintuitive. For the sake of gameplay I'd rather have a single ammo system that resupplies patches and HAT rockets.

I'd like to be able to prioritise items that need replenishing. Example being a rifleman whom has shot a mag but thrown all his grenades. I'd rather the grenades were replenished first then if there is ammunition left, the magazine. This is the problem that the OP was referring to. You're a LAT and need an AT4 but you've shot 6 mags. The ammo box gives you 6 mags but there isn't enough ammunition cumulatively in the pool to give you an AT4. Pretty useless. While it shouldn't be majorly complex, there should be some sort of menu system that appears when you interact with the supply drop. This shows your inventory of weapons and you can either click "resupply all" or specifically add ammunition for individual weapons. PR:BF2 crates have a certain amount of ammo it can give before it's destroyed already, each item costing a different amount of points. I'm simply suggesting and interface that allows you to take whichever ammo you want for your weapons ONLY, with the ammo points being shown. This would encourage sharing of ammunition for drops to squads. However I'm not keen on the idea of the pilot/logi truck driver loading weapons in. The points system should be retained as to not hinder game play too much while adding some realism.I don't think that is too complex and not immersion breaking like standing around "care packagezzzz bruv init" getting free instant ammo without any care for those who need it more. 

As I said in reply #5, that could be solved by adding separate 'Rearm' instances for individual weapons in the context menu that would be used in the RBSS.

I'd like to be able to prioritise items that need replenishing. Example being a rifleman whom has shot a mag but thrown all his grenades. I'd rather the grenades were replenished first then if there is ammunition left, the magazine. This is the problem that the OP was referring to. You're a LAT and need an AT4 but you've shot 6 mags. The ammo box gives you 6 mags but there isn't enough ammunition cumulatively in the pool to give you an AT4. Pretty useless. While it shouldn't be majorly complex, there should be some sort of menu system that appears when you interact with the supply drop. This shows your inventory of weapons and you can either click "resupply all" or specifically add ammunition for individual weapons. PR:BF2 crates have a certain amount of ammo it can give before it's destroyed already, each item costing a different amount of points. I'm simply suggesting and interface that allows you to take whichever ammo you want for your weapons ONLY, with the ammo points being shown. This would encourage sharing of ammunition for drops to squads. However I'm not keen on the idea of the pilot/logi truck driver loading weapons in. The points system should be retained as to not hinder game play too much while adding some realism.I don't think that is too complex and not immersion breaking like standing around "care packagezzzz bruv init" getting free instant ammo without any care for those who need it more. 

how about having 2 types of ammo bags/boxen? a "bullets" one and an "equipment" one. so that a rifleman would choose to spawn with either, acting as an ammobearer for the AR/MMG or the LAT/HAT/Grenadier. light utility vehicles would have both types of ammo boxen. while heavier supply crates would be able to resupply everything.

how about having 2 types of ammo bags/boxen? a "bullets" one and an "equipment" one. so that a rifleman would choose to spawn with either, acting as an ammobearer for the AR/MMG or the LAT/HAT/Grenadier. light utility vehicles would have both types of ammo boxen. while heavier supply crates would be able to resupply everything.

Ask yourself "what would this add to a PR style gameplay experience?"

For me, the answer would be pretty much the same as my answer to the OP. It would add complexity to the system without producing any tangible gameplay benefits.

Ask yourself "what would this add to a PR style gameplay experience?"

For me, the answer would be pretty much the same as my answer to the OP. It would add complexity to the system without producing any tangible gameplay benefits.

it would avert the peeve where the rifleman would throw you the squad's only ammo bag to rearm your lat and it wouldnt rearm because the box rearmed your mags and nades instead. and i dont think it's really complex at all, i'm not suggesting loading specific items to ammo boxen or anything, just two types of ammo bags for the riflemen/light boxen for light vehicles, perhaps have them both at the same time. i dont see how it complicates the system, and i definitely see how it's a benefit, both gameplay and realism-wise.

it would avert the peeve where the rifleman would throw you the squad's only ammo bag to rearm your lat and it wouldnt rearm because the box rearmed your mags and nades instead. and i dont think it's really complex at all, i'm not suggesting loading specific items to ammo boxen or anything, just two types of ammo bags for the riflemen/light boxen for light vehicles, perhaps have them both at the same time. i dont see how it complicates the system, and i definitely see how it's a benefit, both gameplay and realism-wise.

There IS a much simpler solution to that problem, which is to have universal supplies make a return, and the player who wants to resupply just goes to the crate, interacts with it and selects what he wants resupplied.

I have already provided a simple solution to this in reply #11 and reply #5 that does not necessitate the creation of an entirely separate supply unit.