Sign in to follow this  
gunbattle

"Armata" Russia's new heavy armor line

I personally think that the auto cannon and Gatling gun was kind of unnecessary for MBT. But again, Im one of those guy who say that MBT is unnecessary on modern battlefield. 

I think in Squad will be vehicles that were used in combat.

So vehicles that is in service in a country but has yet to see combat will not be considered?

Meh, the Russians love grandstanding military euiptment. They probably should put some of the R&D money into upkeep for the airforce and navy :P More seriously, as it relates to Squad, i would assume these systems would not be seen. Probably going to see the 80s/90s vintage we have all become caustomed too, at least initially.

Russians are introducing all sorts of new platforms on the 9th. T-14 MBT isn't supposed to see full deployment until 2020, but with the Russian economy where it is and the amount of platform they are trying to procure while maintaining their current inventory could throw a wrench in those plans. Regardless, think it makes more sense to use current Russian inventory in squad (should the faction appear) as they can be used for other factions such as MEC, Furthermore, I imagine it is already hard balancing conventional forces (aka US vs Russia) considering that type of combat hasn't been seen in forever, so throwing in a weapons platform that is barely known and will not likely see combat for a good while only makes that task harder. Would be cool to see them later on. 

284F0EC600000578-3067609-They_see_me_rol

Really interesting tank, higher profile than previous Russian models despite having a fully automated crew. True to Russian tradition, MOAR guns. 125mm smoothbore that can fire guided shells, 30mm Coax, and 12.7mm. 

Some more links and cool pics of the T-14 and other new platforms. 

http://www.janes.com/article/50896/new-russian-heavy-armour-breaks-cover

http://www.businessinsider.com/plans-for-russias-t-14-armata-tank-2015-3

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3067609/Putin-unveils-new-Russian-tank-1993-powerful-gun-huge-arsenal-sophisticated-military-hardware.html

How does the Armata compare with the Leo 2 or Challenger II?

No way of knowing, especially with such a novel design. On paper it is a really interesting vehicle and a cool evolution of heavy armor. But you have the general questions, is the tank mechanically reliable, how hard is it to maintain in the field, what is the armor and how thick is it, how effective/reliable are the electronic systems. If those systems go down do you have any redundancies to keep you in the field. Would love to see the inside of one of these things. 

So vehicles that is in service in a country but has yet to see combat will not be considered?

Well in PR:BF2, there's the F-35 even though it's not yet in service. But, things might change in Squad.

Well in PR:BF2, there's the F-35 even though it's not yet in service. But, things might change in Squad.

A dev can speak to this, but the theme has always appeared to be does this sense in terms of realism and game play. The F-35, despite being an acquisition dumpster fire, is going to be deployed soon. I don't believe the Havoc has seen a combat deployment, hell I am not even sure the T-90 has seen combat. But those platforms would for sure see service in the scenarios this game simulates. 

The Armata might be too new to be put in Squad, lets remember that there are less than 50 of them and all of them are in Moscow Oblast and surrounding areas. But, the T-90MS I think should be the Russian MBT, I think Squad is set in the same time-area as Battlefield 3 (about 4-8 years in the future) and Russia is bound to have atleast 1.000-1.500 T-90MS' in that time.

I think in Squad will be vehicles that were used in combat.

Squad is set in present, near past, and near future, so Armata armor can be in Squad and not break with the "world" of Squad.

yea but the engine never turned off and the tank was moving again in 15 min (source: http://rt.com/news/256437-armata-stuck-moscow-parade/). obviously a technical issue, but i think a mechanical breakdown is an exaggeration. still though seems to be going smoother than the US's F35.

still though seems to be going smoother than the US's F35.

True. F 35 program is completely cluster f**k. 

But building a tank is not comparable to "advance" low observation, vertical take off, multi-role aircraft that design to please all branches of military in US and their participants. 

Broken tank on the street is no where near troublesome as broken plan in the sky. 

I wonder if the Armata profile is meant to deflect electromagnetic waves. Making it harder to detect from air to ground radar.

But building a tank is not comparable to "advance" low observation, vertical take off, multi-role aircraft that design to please all branches of military in US and their participants. 

Broken tank on the street is no where near troublesome as broken plan in the sky. 

i agree, my point was that despite early technical issues it could still legitimately be in Squad, especially since the F35 is

I'd like to point out that while some angry 'muricans are shouting "Failure", the real reason it stopped was because the driver had somehow got the parking brake stuck on. And a while later, another person came, disabled it, and the tank drove away like normal. :P

How is a broken plane not a problem? A troublesome plane in the sky might easily end up in a crash. A troublesome tank might end up having to call a technician... I'd choose the last option...

Also... how is the F-35 going to "please" all types of air combat? I't might be able to do A-A, A-G, CAS, SEAD, VTOL and all that stuff, but how do you think a plane like that will do against a plane that is made to do a specific task?

In fact, it's not like "stealth" is invisible or something.. it just reduces the chance of being detected on today's radars. example, look at the F-117 that was shot down in Serbia. But it's only a matter of time until the radars are updated.

Take a look at RCS (radar cross-section)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_cross-section

The F-35 isn't a broken plane. It's a plane still in Development. It's no longer just speed that determines who wins in the air today, it's technology. Ask yourself what a F-16 or Mig-29 will be worth in 2025.

In fact, it's not like "stealth" is invisible or something.. it just reduces the chance of being detected on today's radars. example, look at the F-117 that was shot down in Serbia. But it's only a matter of time until the radars are updated.

Take a look at RCS (radar cross-section)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_cross-section

Hence the words "low observation." Not stealth

Also, I think you miss understand what I say about "Broken tank on the street is no where near troublesome as broken plan in the sky." I mean exactly what you said.