BrightRaven210

What headsets are recommended for and compatible with Squad?

Hey, I'm new to Squad but I have experience with Project Reality and Battlefield 2. My current headset doesn't work anymore and I have been reduced to using a pair of Apple Earphones in order to communicate when I play other games like BF4 or CSGO. However, I have noticed that these earphones don't work in Battlefield 2 or in Project Reality.

Which brings me to this:

Will my Apple Earphones work in Squad? If not, then I'm up for any suggestions for a new Headset, preferably for under $50 USD. Not looking for anything fancy or high quality. Just something that does its job and does it well.

Well, you said under $50 so I can't really help you, but if I remember correctly Turtle Beach makes a cheap wired PC headset for about $70-80.  My friend has one and told me it was really decent for a stereo headset.  I personally run an Astro Gaming A50 headset, and it's between $120-190 depending on where you look.

It all really comes down to how good you want your sound quality to be.  How badly do you want to be able to clearly hear a guy screaming that he's got contact from across the compound on one of the maps, along with the explosions and gunfire associated with warfare-type games.  As long as you have a mic and relatively decent virtual surround on your speakers though you should be fine.

Well, you said under $50 so I can't really help you, but if I remember correctly Turtle Beach makes a cheap wired PC headset for about $70-80.  My friend has one and told me it was really decent for a stereo headset.  I personally run an Astro Gaming A50 headset, and it's between $120-190 depending on where you look.

It all really comes down to how good you want your sound quality to be.  How badly do you want to be able to clearly hear a guy screaming that he's got contact from across the compound on one of the maps, along with the explosions and gunfire associated with warfare-type games.  As long as you have a mic and relatively decent virtual surround on your speakers though you should be fine.

I am using some form of a turtle beach headset, can't remember the name though. It has a decent price and serves me well. To be honest though I got less complaints about quality when using my apple headphones microphone. Only had one though, where I simply had to turn up the volume from the control panel

Before I got the turtle beach as I said I was using apples earplugs with the cellphone mic and it worked well in both Squad and PR

I am using some form of a turtle beach headset, can't remember the name though. It has a decent price and serves me well. To be honest though I got less complaints about quality when using my apple headphones microphone. Only had one though, where I simply had to turn up the volume from the control panel

Before I got the turtle beach as I said I was using apples earplugs with the cellphone mic and it worked well in both Squad and PR

To my knowledge, TB headsets normally have the name on one of the ear cups. That might not be the case for yours, but you can check anyway if you want. 

-Col. Ghost Out

To my knowledge, TB headsets normally have the name on one of the ear cups. That might not be the case for yours, but you can check anyway if you want. 

-Col. Ghost Out

It does, but being at work I can't really check yet :p

Well, you said under $50 so I can't really help you, but if I remember correctly Turtle Beach makes a cheap wired PC headset for about $70-80. My friend has one and told me it was really decent for a stereo headset. I personally run an Astro Gaming A50 headset, and it's between $120-190 depending on where you look.

It all really comes down to how good you want your sound quality to be. How badly do you want to be able to clearly hear a guy screaming that he's got contact from across the compound on one of the maps, along with the explosions and gunfire associated with warfare-type games. As long as you have a mic and relatively decent virtual surround on your speakers though you should be fine.

Hmm... I'll look into those. But I came across this and want to know if it will work. My personal experience with USB headsets is not a good one when it comes to gaming but this looks like it has some promise.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h600-wireless-headset-black/3436118.p?id=1218403403529&skuId=3436118

Hmm... I'll look into those. But I came across this and want to know if it will work. My personal experience with USB headsets is not a good one when it comes to gaming but this looks like it has some promise. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-h600-wireless-headset-black/3436118.p?id=1218403403529&skuId=3436118

I trust Logitech for a lot of things. My first gaming headset was one, and the only thing I ever complained about with it was the earphone pads making my ears sore after two hours or longer. If you don't mind that, then yeah any stereo headset at $40 is typically a steal, especially if you can get free shipping!

I bought a $15 cheap headset at Walmart. I just put it around my neck to use the microphone when I'm playing, earphones aren't good for your hearing!

I use these headphones (12$):

https://www.google.com/search?q=skull+candy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=skullcandy+folding+headphones&spd=12915687878132413834

Though they are only 12$, they grant full stereo sound parallax so I can still tell from which direction sounds come. This is really all that matters for me.

I braided a cheap mic around the headset cord and clipped it on. One like this (60 cents):

http://www.amazon.com/EDW-Portable-Microphone-Studio-Computer/dp/B00X7PSFES/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1454416010&sr=8-19&keywords=microphone

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I have decided to go with the Sentey GS-4731.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNBCE94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20O7ZIM03RW46

Gamescom 780

I googled the Gamecon 780 and checked it out on Amazon. I read the reviews and was displeased with how others described the build quality and the short lifespan of the headset. But while I was looking at it's Amazon page, I came across the Sentey GS-4731 in the 'More Like This' panel. For $40 less and great quality, they will be worth it.

I'll be ordering these puppies later today.

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I have decided to go with the Sentey GS-4731. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNBCE94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20O7ZIM03RW46

I googled the Gamecon 780 and checked it out on Amazon. I read the reviews and was displeased with how others described the build quality and the short lifespan of the headset. But while I was looking at it's Amazon page, I came across the Sentey GS-4731 in the 'More Like This' panel. For $40 less and great quality, they will be worth it.

I'll be ordering these puppies later today.

They look a bit small. For me the most important is that the ear pad has a bigger diameter then my ears. No matter how high they claim the comfort to be, the pads will get worn over time and will be an absolute pain. But when they are bigger there is less wear because the pressure to the head will not be the same. Just a small tip

At work my ear protection headset I have to change pads once every 3-4 months because they wear out so quickly when I'm using them 8 hours a day

Edit:

x8Li96.jpg

These are now 2 months old and already starting to wear flat. Imagine now these had a smaller diameter than my ear :P Granted that the pressure to the head is way greater for protection than a headset, but the same will happen to a headset eventually. So if you're planning on using them for a long time I suggest you take it into consideration or you'll end up buying new one sooner than you'd need ;)

They look a bit small. For me the most important is that the ear pad has a bigger diameter then my ears. No matter how high they claim the comfort to be, the pads will get worn over time and will be an absolute pain. But when they are bigger there is less wear because the pressure to the head will not be the same. Just a small tip

At work my ear protection headset I have to change pads once every 3-4 months because they wear out so quickly when I'm using them 8 hours a day

Edit:x8Li96.jpg

These are now 2 months old and already starting to wear flat. Imagine now these had a smaller diameter than my ear :P Granted that the pressure to the head is way greater for protection than a headset, but the same will happen to a headset eventually. So if you're planning on using them for a long time I suggest you take it into consideration or you'll end up buying new one sooner than you'd need ;)

Well then... Good thing I have small ears :D

But yeah, I did take that into consideration, and found that it wouldn't matter anyway due to how I typically play with a headset on: Left on Left ear, Right behind Right ear, and an earbud from a pair of Skull Candy earbuds in the right ear. Don't know why I do this, but it's been my habit for years.

*shrugs*

I will provide an update, on Friday, after I get the headset on Thursday (Thursday = Study for Tests Day). I'll give a pretty detailed review and my opinion of it after a few hours of use and then again after a few weeks.

See ya Friday!