Heskey

Looting fallen soldiers for ammo and supplies

DISCLAIMER: I have utilised the search function and could not find this suggestion.

SUGGESTION: Implement ammo/medical supply looting from fallen soldiers using the 'use' key (same function as resupplying off ammo dumps).

So my buddies and I are playing right now, and I was explaining the importance of having a second medic to them, as I've read kit-swapping is not coming to Squad and was only left in Project Reality because it was hard-coded in. This means if your medic goes down and you don't have a second medic to revive him, your squad are dead-men walking.

The idea came to me though that once both medics are dead, that's a lot of bandages going to waste. Other troops don't have many field dressings and though they can't heal themselves, they could last a little longer if they could replenish their own from the dead medic's supplies and keep themselves alive for a little while longer if they're bleeding and have already used up all of their own bandages.

I don't know how long dead bodies remain on the map but my suggestion would be to only be able to loot those, unless the system could be made so that incapacitated soldiers who are looted (which doesn't quite seem right, or honourable!) have less ammunition when revived (equal to the amount of magazines/bandages taken by the looter(s).

This should be gun-specific compatible only, and capped by the number of mags/field dressings that your role can carry.

I'm not championing this idea, so I'm not too bothered if it gets shot down - it is just a suggestion.

What do you think?

You should have more than enough ammo as long as you don't run around with your weapon set on full-auto.

I do get what you talk about the medics.

I don't like this suggestion, here's why.

First of all, this feature would take a lot of time to implement, considering all the different ammunition and determining who should be able to loot what. I don't think it's worth the effort, at least not for a long while.

Right now the bodies stay on the ground for a few seconds after the wounded player gives up, then disappear. This is so the servers don't have to keep track of every dead body. If we wanted the bodies to stay longer it would just put more stress on the servers.

Looting in the current state of the game would also give a bit of incentive for wounded players to give up so the body disappears and they don't get looted - exactly the opposite of what we need, we want people to stop giving up instead of providing them with more reasons for do so. Looting also diminishes the importance of FOBs, ammo boxes and in turn the entire logistics system (yet to be implemented), because at cost of a few tickets you would be able to fully resupply your squad using a rally and having squadmates suicide so they can be looted.

In conclusion, one big no from me, sorry.

*edit* Also I believe the riflemen kit will be able to carry ammo for his squadmates in the future.

It could be set up like in Arma 3.  You kill an enemy and rifle their body only to find a half eaten snickers, partially used medic kit and 11 bullets.  11 bullets wtf... Arma 3 peeps know the suck. lol

If you're playing as medic and have run out of bandages (as you have been playing your role well) you should be able to search a downed team mate for his bandages to use. Have it take a little extra time for the search but it just seems daft currently not to be able to use a downed players medical supplies to save him. I always try to get team mates to bandage themselves, if they're not incapacitated, so I can remain effective on the battlefield for longer without returning to an ammo point or dying/respawning as often.

Looting ammo is a bit of a different case. Not sure I am 100% about being able to loot ammo. I like the fact people have to manage their ammo without spamming every target. If the medic is able to help more players back up from being able to loot bandages then ammo supply becomes even more important. With that it makes FOBs / ammo so much more important and tactical. Once logistics are in and FOBs require resupplying that importance is doubled again.

This idea just won't work it would feel like a survival game instead of what SQUAD is supposed to be. If you know how to manage your AMMO it is more than enough besides rifleman in further updates are going to carry the ammo supplies ;)

I play medic a lot and I've never run out of ammo, both because I try to stay alive for the benefit of my team and because the odds are, with my skills, the other guy is going to win a shootout. Lets's just say, I don't take point.  :P

I'd love to see being able to loot bandages specifically, since if your squad is good enough to stay together for an extended period of time, I'll run out. Grabbing 2 here and 2 there, would be enough to keep a squad up. If it took a reasonable amount of time, you wouldn't do it every chance you got, just when you were getting low or were in a safe situation.

I'm meh, with looting ammo though, I could pass on that. It's reasonable for a squad to build a FOB or all together move to an ammo crate since often the majority needs to resupply, but often a medic is the only one low on bandages while everyone else is OK with ammo.

If you are an Insurgent, your bread and butter for ammo an supplies comes from stealing from the enemy capturing their ammo and vehicles to use against the enemy. How can this not be about survival for Insurgents?

Insurgents should be able to steal US or others weapons and ammo.

I definitely think corpses should be available to loot for ammo, and weapons on the ground, as well.  However, the game should keep track of how many magazines are on a body and how many rounds are in those magazines, since otherwise the alternative is to use a sort of nebulous, CoDesque ammunition pool.  Picking up ammo from a discarded weapon would add to your inventory the magazine that was inserted at the time the weapon was dropped. 

Looting from bodies would give you access to all of those magazines, but would take time.  The usual game mechanic of walking over a body or object and just clicking a button once to immediately take all ammo doesn't make sense.  You need to rummage through pouches and whatnot, make sure it takes a considerable number of seconds to salvage some mags. 

However, I don't think it would make perfect sense to allow looting of corpses for compatible ammunition.  I mean, it shouldn't be too difficult, in terms of organizing which type of ammo can be used in which weapon.  Just sort the guns by which types of magazines they use.  M-4A1s all use the same magazines (obviously), M-249s use the same pouches of the same kind of disintegrating belts of the same type of ammo (and, technically, if the devs are willing to take the time to add this feature as well, they can use regular STANAG mags as well as belts). 

Similarly, AK-74s of all varieties can use the same magazines, so that would make perfect sense to allow compatibility.  Hell, technically the magazine wells on the AK-74 and RPK-74 are identical; the AK-74 can use 45-round RPK mags, and the RPK is capable of fitting 30-round AK mags. 

Similarly, looting the dead for spare bandages or grenades would make total sense to me.  I like the idea. 

Of course, I think each player should still be bound to his chosen role.  So, let's not have any nonsense of riflemen going around picking up medic kits and serving as third or fourth medics.  Looting should only be used to replenish a class's inventory. 

This is in part due to reinforcing the importance of having medics in the squad and making them not an overlooked class due to having poor offensive capabilities. If anyone in the squad could pick up the medics kit and revive fallen squadmates then that would take away from the importance of playing a dedicated medic. Also a limit of two medic kits is supporting tons squad, but also keeps that support to a certain extent. Kit swapping would let there be more than 2 medics to a squad and that would be a little much. Also limiting how many medical kits the squad gets plays on the importance of the medic. You kill the enemy's medics you doom the squad and the same goes for yours. It all comes down to making medic class something extremely valued and needed for squad success.

This is in part due to reinforcing the importance of having medics in the squad and making them not an overlooked class due to having poor offensive capabilities. If anyone in the squad could pick up the medics kit and revive fallen squadmates then that would take away from the importance of playing a dedicated medic. Also a limit of two medic kits is supporting tons squad, but also keeps that support to a certain extent. Kit swapping would let there be more than 2 medics to a squad and that would be a little much. Also limiting how many medical kits the squad gets plays on the importance of the medic. You kill the enemy's medics you doom the squad and the same goes for yours. It all comes down to making medic class something extremely valued and needed for squad success.

But what about limiting the mechanic to looting bodies in order to restock on materials compatible with your selected class? 

That is, let's say I am playing as a US rifleman.  I have one full magazine left in my inventory, plus one partly consumed magazine in my weapon, and I am out of bandages.  My squad's medic is downed, and let's assume that bodies persist for at least a few minutes after the player gives up.  The medic had on him a full load of bandages, plus three full magazines and one partly consumed magazine in his M-4A1. 

I could approach the body, hold F for a certain period of time to appropriately simulate searching the corpse for usable materials.  In the process, I am able to add three full magazines to my inventory, plus the one partly consumed magazine from his carbine, and two bandages.  Because I am a rifleman, I am only able to pick up as many bandages as I am supposed to be capable of carrying.

I don't think that would devalue specific roles in any way, really. 

But what about limiting the mechanic to looting bodies in order to restock on materials compatible with your selected class? 

That is, let's say I am playing as a US rifleman.  I have one full magazine left in my inventory, plus one partly consumed magazine in my weapon, and I am out of bandages.  My squad's medic is downed, and let's assume that bodies persist for at least a few minutes after the player gives up.  The medic had on him a full load of bandages, plus three full magazines and one partly consumed magazine in his M-4A1. 

I could approach the body, hold F for a certain period of time to appropriately simulate searching the corpse for usable materials.  In the process, I am able to add three full magazines to my inventory, plus the one partly consumed magazine from his carbine, and two bandages.  Because I am a rifleman, I am only able to pick up as many bandages as I am supposed to be capable of carrying.

I don't think that would devalue specific roles in any way, really. 

It would drastically decrease the value of logistics system that is going to be implemented.

Running out of ammo? Why would you even waste time on resupplying at the FOBs? That's for suckers! Simply put down a rally and have your medic suicide - BAM! Now you have 6 magazines, 5 bandages, and two smokes to loot, at the cost of one measly ticket! Need more? No problem! Riflemen will eventually be able to give some ammo to their teammates, so have your rifleman give out all the ammo he can, then suicide and spawn with more! BAM! Infinite ammo! Infinite bandages! Who needs those pesky fobs and logistics anyway?

Please stop with this nonsense already. Being able to loot teammates or even enemies is so exploitable it's not even funny and it undermines one of the fundamental features of the game that will make Squad so much different from all the generic shooters out there.

It would drastically decrease the value of logistics system that is going to be implemented.

Running out of ammo? Why would you even waste time on resupplying at the FOBs? That's for suckers! Simply put down a rally and have your medic suicide - BAM! Now you have 6 magazines, 5 bandages, and two smokes to loot, at the cost of one measly ticket! Need more? No problem! Riflemen will eventually be able to give some ammo to their teammates, so have your rifleman give out all the ammo he can, then suicide! BAM! Infinite ammo! Infinite bandages! Who needs those pesky fobs and logistics anyway?

Please stop with this nonsense already. Being able to loot teammates or even enemies is so exploitable it's not even funny and it undermines one of the fundamental systems that will make squad so much different from all the generic shooters out there.

That's a very scheming way of cheating the game mechanics but really does go to show why looting in Squad would be a bad thing. Still want to be able to use a downed team mates bandages though even if I can't take them from his cold, stiff body and be on my way.

I like PRs way of doing it. Granted it would normally be impossible for a grunt to perform a medic's task, but I feel like this disconnect between real life and game works better than having your AT die to an enemy APC and all of a sudden your squad has no way of dealing with it until the AT soldier is back alive. Or if your Machine Gunner has bitten the dust, to just grab his weapon and put lead down range in his stead, as bullets down range safe lifes better than proper care at times. Not doable ingame but perfectly doable in reality and highly advised.

To prevent abuse on the other hand the Devs could look into making players worse at kits which weren't originally theirs, less focus time, more sway, it takes longer to revive someone as substitute-medic and so on. That way people look towards getting their original kit back.

I like PRs way of doing it. Granted it would normally be impossible for a grunt to perform a medic's task, but I feel like this disconnect between real life and game works better than having your AT die to an enemy APC and all of a sudden your squad has no way of dealing with it until the AT soldier is back alive. Or if your Machine Gunner has bitten the dust, to just grab his weapon and put lead down range in his stead, as bullets down range safe lifes better than proper care at times. Not doable ingame but perfectly doable in reality and highly advised.

To prevent abuse on the other hand the Devs could look into making players worse at kits which weren't originally theirs, less focus time, more sway, it takes longer to revive someone as substitute-medic and so on. That way people look towards getting their original kit back.

That sounds like Insurgency. All you have is the rounds in the weapon, whether that's AT, MG or rifle. You can use it to get out of a sticky situation but you are going back to what you had as it won't last you long.

I don't like this idea, it will take away the need for a supply chain. Having limited ammo stops people running and gunning, it makes them think more about what and who they shoot.

cheating game mechanics? Interrupting supply chain?  Those supplies were lost by the other team and you picked them up so they did not get wasted and I do not see any supply chain interruption at all.  All well guess people see different things and fear the worst.  :)

Please stop with this nonsense already. Being able to loot teammates or even enemies is so exploitable.

Why haven't I seen people kill themselves when they're on their last magazine or their last bandage if they're a medic? You're grasping for straws a little too hard. Stick a 2 minute spawn timer on suicides. Don't like long spawn times then don't kill yourself. Make it have as steep of a penalty as killing a civvie in PR.

Not like I think the idea would be simple to implement if at all but you're going in the wrong direction.

I like it, if I'm in a compound and my mate goes down and i got one mag left I'll grab a couple off him (he would be left with the ones i didn't take of course, no exploits here.) the medic gets him up and i give him some mags back (you should be able to transfer ammo when your alive as well, e.g. your mates holding a defensive position and is nearly out so you run up and hand him two mags) It should work when alive, down and completely dead.

I like it, if I'm in a compound and my mate goes down and i got one mag left I'll grab a couple off him (he would be left with the ones i didn't take of course, no exploits here.) the medic gets him up and i give him some mags back (you should be able to transfer ammo when your alive as well, e.g. your mates holding a defensive position and is nearly out so you run up and hand him two mags) It should work when alive, down and completely dead.

Omg your mate is down and the first thing you do is loot his ammo. You didn't mention bandaging him so he won't bleed out and the medic can get him up quicker. I really hope you just forgot to mention that bit.

Omg your mate is down and the first thing you do is loot his ammo. You didn't mention bandaging him so he won't bleed out and the medic can get him up quicker. I really hope you just forgot to mention that bit.

Hahaha that's a wonderful point. 

Yes i did forget to mention that, I thought it was common knowledge to patch up your mates while they wait for a medic? and in the heat of the moment i want to take out the threat or at least fend them off so i can patch my mate up without getting shot while doing it.

Yes i did forget to mention that, I thought it was common knowledge to patch up your mates while they wait for a medic? and in the heat of the moment i want to take out the threat or at least fend them off so i can patch my mate up without getting shot while doing it.

It's still a young community with many new players so it's not as common as you may think. Of course you need to fend of the attack first but if you have the time to loot your mate for ammo you have the time to stick a bandage on him.