Sign in to follow this  
PoisonBill

Crew Mounted Weapons - Machine gun

Allow a secondary player manipulate a MG or HMG, i.e. m240b or Browning 50 cal. Could be used on mortars, TOW and perhaps grenade launchers.

Being an effective machine gunner in real combat situations often requires a buddy to help you out with observation, ammunition and exchanging hot barrels.

Instead of just throwing ammo bags and waiting for the linear overheating to reach a "cool" mode after 20 seconds I would like to see a ability where a second player can interact with a deployed weapon, and an improved equipment system where groups have to choose wisely what they want to carry with them, 200 rounds of 7.62 NATO weighs a lot (5 kilos!) but in combat can be used in less than a minute, there is no way a machine gunner can carry 6-800 rounds on his own and move with the same speed as a rifleman or medic.

The group simply has to adjust itself when they use heavy weaponry, therefor an effective group carrying a heavy weapon or a lot of rounds should have an assistant gunner.

An extra barrel doesn't have to be carried in a group but if a machine gunner overheats his weapon, the efficiency of the group is lowered. If a group never deploys its MG the efficiency is lowered since extra weight is carried -> kilograms should effect endurance and running speed - in real life they really do!

What I would like to see happen is that the RPK and PKM (M249 SAW or M240b) have clear distinctions and serve different uses, as they indeed are different tools for different jobs.

This might be absolutely impossible with the engine?  :D 

On overheating/barrel changes, that could be cool but it might work better in practice to have the process done by the gunner himself for the sake of streamlining as in Red Orchestra. I agree that ARs/MMGs should have to rely on other squad members to carry their ammo though. 

On overheating/barrel changes, that could be cool but it might work better in practice to have the process done by the gunner himself for the sake of streamlining as in Red Orchestra. I agree that ARs/MMGs should have to rely on other squad members to carry their ammo though. 

A M249 SAW gunner can change a barrel easier than a M240b gunner, I doubt many armies using the FN Minimi (SAW) actually uses an assistant gunner, so there it is natural for a LMG to change barrels by himself.

In a prone position however it is impossible for a M240b gunner to change a barrel without also changing his firing position dramatically, time would be reduced if there was an assistant gunner. Perhaps something like 4 seconds with a buddy (while aiming in sights) compared to 10 seconds (tunnel vision on weapon) done solo.

A M249 SAW gunner can change a barrel easier than a M240b gunner, I doubt many armies using the FN Minimi (SAW) actually uses an assistant gunner, so there it is natural for a LMG to change barrels by himself.

In a prone position however it is impossible for a M240b gunner to change a barrel without also changing his firing position dramatically, time would be reduced if there was an assistant gunner. Perhaps something like 4 seconds with a buddy (while aiming in sights) compared to 10 seconds (tunnel vision on weapon) done solo.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's a tradeoff between a faster barrel change and being bunched with another player, or a slower one while exposing yourself a little more.