Sign in to follow this  
Crowe

Edge Normals on the Landscape

Hi, ive just watched the development build from Bluedrake42's channel and ive noticed that you guys have might have hard edges on every edge on the landscape model.

If you just softened the edge via maya or 3dsmax then the landscape wont look so blocky and the lightbaking will look 10/10.

Shoot me an email if you want to chat about the edge normals.

liam.r.crowe@hotmail.com

nah. the terrain texture is old.. our first test map we have been using a long time. new maps are mich smoother.. just the engine that makes those edge normals glow... sucks.. hehe

http://imgur.com/4qFEG93

so with this, the edge normals are the culprit for the shadow and light baking issues, it cant be the texture because it tiles over the polygons due to uv's so thats fine. Maybe in a isolated build you could try exporting the terrain mesh as an fbx, softening all the edges and reimporting. Just my two cents, dont want to be a pain, just want to help out :3 

http://imgur.com/4qFEG93

so with this, the edge normals are the culprit for the shadow and light baking issues, it cant be the texture because it tiles over the polygons due to uv's so thats fine. Maybe in a isolated build you could try exporting the terrain mesh as an fbx, softening all the edges and reimporting. Just my two cents, dont want to be a pain, just want to help out :3 

Yeah.  It's because the older map (Logar) has a fairly low resolution heightmap.  The newer map (Forest) doesn't have any of those issues.  

I could be wrong, but I dont think its anything to do with the heightmap res haha anyway good work guys :)

Crowe, this isn't a matter of static meshes, this is a matter of terrain. It has everything to do with the heightmap. You wouldn't fix something like this in 3DS Max or Maya.

Crowe, this isn't a matter of static meshes, this is a matter of terrain. It has everything to do with the heightmap. You wouldn't fix something like this in 3DS Max or Maya.

Many people generate their heightmaps and then export as a 3d model for post-processing actually.

it's indeed a heightmap issue only to be resolved by using a higher quality texture but I would only advice this if you have a beast of a machine, it looks like the terrain heightmap has been created with Worldmachine so if you want to remove those edges just higher the resolution and be prepared for endless times of rendering/exporting...

it's indeed a heightmap issue only to be resolved by using a higher quality texture but I would only advice this if you have a beast of a machine, it looks like the terrain heightmap has been created with Worldmachine so if you want to remove those edges just higher the resolution and be prepared for endless times of rendering/exporting...

Yes sir. 

Don't worry, I use UE4 already. I'm just saying it's possible to work with static meshes as well.

Its possible yes. 

The problem with using static meshes is it doesn't take advantage of the incredible LODing that Landscape does.  You get down to something like 32 bytes for 500 meters worth of terrain.  It's pretty incredible.