Pershing99

Squad Specializations (and some extras)

We all know that an army isn't made up of nothing but riflemen. The developers have done an amazing job at diversifying squads and teams but there does seem to be one detail lacking: squad specialties. While most "fire teams" and "squads" carry fairly standardized gear, it's also important to know that squads themselves can have specialties just like individual soldiers do. While the idea of introducing mortars as a deployable makes sense, why go through the pain of limiting the number of mortars within, say, 400 meters? Instead, let's make mortars a specialty to one squad (the combat support - mortar squad).

The squad "specialties" would be broken up as follows:

Direct Action and Combat Support

Direct Action - Heavy Weapons Squad

^ Add 2x Auto-riflemen kits (with either M249s or M240s)

Direct Action - Assault Squad

^ Add 2x Grenadier kits [please add hand grenades(with an s!)]

Direct Action - CQB Squad

^ Remove Marksmen Rifles

^ Add "Breacher" kit (Shotgun, Pistol, Frag. Grenade, Bandage, E-Tool)

Direct Action - AT Squad

^ Add (Better) AT kit (I.e. Javelin)

^ Add SOFLAM-style or laser designator to SQL kit

Combat Support

Combat Support - Marksmen Squad (Likely everyone's favorite)

^ Add scoped assault rifles (two)

^ Add 2x Sniper kits (M24, SVD, SVD, SVD)

Combat Support - Mortar Squad

^ Add 3x Mortar Kits (Mortars must be placed at least 100 or 200 m away from FOB and built within 50 meters of a Mortar Radio)

Combat Support - Engineer Squad

^ (For later use) Add 2x Engineer kits

Extra ideas:

-Allow E-Tool to dig trenches without FOB radio or make dirt cover.

-Multiple grenades for standard kits (M4A1+Red Dot, M4A1, AK74M, etc)

-Quick-callout-radial for those without microphones ("Contact!", "Incoming!"(please use audio from FOB radio XD), etc.)

-Squad text chat

-Local text chat

-Please balance teams! Perhaps make Insurgents use less stamina and run faster (no body armor), etc

Thank you for reading/considering!

All I need to say about this is, instead of having a "special" squad for motors, they just need to limit how many people can use it, just like the Designated Marksman. Also...I believe there is already Squad Chat. I believe if you press "L" that's squad. "J" is all and "K" I believe is Team. Also. The game isn't all about balancing the different sides, its about realism to my knowledge. So balancing all sides equally doesn't seem to be the easiest task there is if the Devs want to make it on realism.  Each side needs to learn to adapt to what their capabilities are. I teach that to my guys so when we are not on the Americans, or Russians, but we are militia and we lack the ability to have all the fancy stuff the American have, we would be able to adapt and still have no problem. Though the problem is for those who don't always work together as a whole team, and its just a group of randoms. That is the set back, but if people know how to use teamwork properly, that shouldn't be a problem either. Though the partial unbalancing of all the sides does in fact make the game more interesting since it can get more difficult. Personally, my guys like that. It keeps the game from getting dull at time. Anyway......Its Alpha. Everything is up for debate.

-Col. Ghost Out

Edit: I re-read what you put...and I am getting a bit confused with how your saying the squads. The squads in game are based more off of squad build up from an actual squad composition irl. Making a special marksman squad, I can somewhat see...but a heavy squad and all that, it sort of breaks that away from a formal squad build up.....to my knowledge. 

All I need to say about this is, instead of having a "special" squad for motors, they just need to limit how many people can use it, just like the Designated Marksman. Also...I believe there is already Squad Chat. I believe if you press "L" that's squad. "J" is all and "K" I believe is Team. Also. The game isn't all about balancing the different sides, its about realism to my knowledge. So balancing all sides equally doesn't seem to be the easiest task there is if the Devs want to make it on realism.  Each side needs to learn to adapt to what their capabilities are. I teach that to my guys so when we are not on the Americans, or Russians, but we are militia and we lack the ability to have all the fancy stuff the American have, we would be able to adapt and still have no problem. Though the problem is for those who don't always work together as a whole team, and its just a group of randoms. That is the set back, but if people know how to use teamwork properly, that shouldn't be a problem either. Though the partial unbalancing of all the sides does in fact make the game more interesting since it can get more difficult. Personally, my guys like that. It keeps the game from getting dull at time. Anyway......Its Alpha. Everything is up for debate.

-Col. Ghost Out

Edit: I re-read what you put...and I am getting a bit confused with how your saying the squads. The squads in game are based more off of squad build up from an actual squad composition irl. Making a special marksman squad, I can somewhat see...but a heavy squad and all that, it sort of breaks that away from a formal squad build up.....to my knowledge.

I do agree. I think the chances of winning in a round is broken up into three aspects, teamplay, mauevers, and shooting (including gear). As for the squads, imagine a MG team on the wooded ridge with two grenadiers and a total of four MGs surppressing the storage site while a CQB or Assault squad pushes from the flank or center. If I want any of these squads to be incorporated, its the mortar squad.

In terms of realism, it would be more realistic for a insurgent with just a chest rig to be able to use less stamina than an Army infantryman in full kit (not saying that's true but having two of the same people in different sets of gear would result in something similar.) and if we should go for more realism, we should make an Insurgency gamemode where there are several spawn points for the insurgents and the US simply play hide and seek.

-Col. Ghost Out

Hi, man!

You're talking about realism from American side with American structure and with American doctrine.

It's not working for Insurgency or Militia, even for Russian Forces.

Americans works based on a multipurpose equipment each soldier. I mean reflex sights, scopes, ammunition with high damage and piercing.

Russians works differently:

- where you have LMG, we have HMG;

- each Russians scquad has about 4-6 LAT;

- but a lot of RU soldier hasn't reflex sights and scopes...

Insurgency and Militia works also differently:

- they prefer defended ambushes;

- IDE and AI mines.

Also, if we are talking about realism, Russians have over 8 magazines and 4-6 HG. I think, US guys also taking many "arguments". But in game we have 1 HG yet...it's not about realism. It's balancing Rambo-guy, which can destroy whole squad.

huh... interesting but should be kept within realism realm. And +1 to guys that take different war doctrines.

Maybe after 3 or more full rifle squads are created (as it is now), allow new squad to choose more specialized weapon systems (mortar, MG, heavy AT, AA, sniper and so on...)? That would simulate reinforced platoon with extra gear. But then again, when i think about it, we are already going into that direction? As more players join server, more gear you can choose? Its just matter of squad name and/or SL mentality to get and use proper gear in proper way...

You can already do basically all of this without "specialization"(which has been suggested many times already), and all these kinds of suggestions do is reduce gameplay variety. Free form squad creation allows for a much more expansive meta game.

What is required are more tools for organizing your squads.

You can already do basically all of this without "specialization"(which has been suggested many times already), and all these kinds of suggestions do is reduce gameplay variety. Free form squad creation allows for a much more expansive meta game.

Right on point... we do have to remember that there are others doctrines than US ones. That is why we need robust system. I wouldn't mind if there are some "specialization" things but only if done the way it would be done "IRL" (for current situatuion/map) and per faction.

Hi, man!

You're talking about realism from American side with American structure and with American doctrine.

Americans works based on a multipurpose equipment each soldier. I mean reflex sights, scopes, ammunition with high damage and piercing.

- IDE and AI mines.

Also, if we are talking about realism, Russians have over 8 magazines and 4-6 HG. I think, US guys also taking many "arguments". But in game we have 1 HG yet...it's not about realism. It's balancing Rambo-guy, which can destroy whole squad.

Ahhhh. Thank you. I honestly forgot about how you can have different doctrine among the factions. Well that does certainly change quite a bit...

Instead of worrying about all of the other Specializations, what if we focused this thread more so on the mortar squad and how that could be implemented? I can't help but imagine watching the entire American ACOG squad getting blown off a mountain as insurgents begin firing mortars at them mixed in with GP-25s and RPGs.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread!!!

I can Agree

Hi, man!

- IDE and AI mines.

Yea. Thats where I was getting mixed up on. I wasnt fully sure the composition of the other sides other then Americans. Thank you.

-Col Ghost Out