Jump to content
FalkoN

Possible workaround for VOIP stutter/lag - HELP NEEDED TESTING

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Just a heads up we have at the very least witnessed the frame loss in a state and on a computer where we can replicate it. 

We have profiling data on the bottleneck and know the trouble makers now. 

Still hope... we are digging in. 

30850_large_Obama_Thumbs_Up_Wide.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the hardest part is replicating the issue and we can reliably do that now with a particular setup but only when they were using their headset and not on normal desktop speakers.  If you guys can go into a bit more depth perhaps on whether you run in stereo mode or 7.1/surround sound mode we would appreciate it.  We are leaning towards this being a surround sound issue being too taxing on the CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trancer said:

Yes the hardest part is replicating the issue and we can reliably do that now with a particular setup but only when they were using their headset and not on normal desktop speakers.  If you guys can go into a bit more depth perhaps on whether you run in stereo mode or 7.1/surround sound mode we would appreciate it.  We are leaning towards this being a surround sound issue being too taxing on the CPU.

Here's my setup

AMD FX 8350 8 Core 4Ghz  (AM3+)
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 
HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz 
ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4Gb 
Corsair RM850 
Samsung EVO 840 250Gb SSD 
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 
Logitech G502 Promethius mouse 
Roccat Isku Keyboard 
SoundBlaster Z dedicated sound card (on-board disabled in bios)
Cooler Master Sirus 5.1 headpones 
ASUS VG278HE 27" @ 144Hz

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Before i purchased the Soundblaster z i was running the Sirus headphones in USB mode using the latest drivers and supplied software, i then purchased the soundcard and ran the headphones using the 5.1 jack plug adapter and the creative drivers and software and removed all other potentially conflicting previous audio drivers or software and disabled the onboard sound card on the motherboard and the same issue is still present. Yes everything may indicate an issue with surround sound processing and AMD CPU's however the majority experiencing this issue own the FX series and others on older processors like the AMD Phenom II X4 etc don't seem to have any sound issues at all that narrows processors down to those with bulldozer and piledriver architecture.

I have tried numerous suggestions like lowering the channels down from 128 and removing the voice file suggested above ( this improved things before V4) but the problem returned with the update and got a bit worse. From 240 in training range to 20-30-35 FPS ingame is the norm for me in Squad at this moment with greatly lowered settings than older intel systems with the same GPU should be normally comfortable handling. Sound effects and chatter combined together will sink my FPS to an unstable 10-15 during these moments.

Something low level to do with the surround sound processing etc combined with the FX series maybe is not spreading the load across multiple cores and utilising the processors full tasking potential and thus bottlenecking causing lag and stutter. I have over clocked all cores to 4.8  to see if it helps but it doesn't seem to make a difference in Squad just boosts my other games  (maybe im throttling down under the load of this issue) so iv reverted back to stock and will continue to test things.

 

Edited by Axle84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a proposition for you devs. Send me one of your handy dandy Intel computers that you can't replicate the problem on, and I'll happily send you my AMD set up for you to keep! No questions asked.

Heck, I'll pay shipping. ;)

EDIT: To provide helpful input, I have an FX 8370e / MSI GTX 970 4gb. Great combo nooorrrmally. Best of luck and thank you for your continued help!

Edited by penguins227

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

AMD FX 8350 and Asus 970 Strix

This is footage i took of what im experiencing and able to recreate indefinably (excuse my kids talking in the background) not sure if it's the same for others or even the symptoms the devs have found. Went from 70-80fps on a low populated private server down to a stuttering lag fest of 5fps whilst a few people where talking in close proximity to me. Just near the end i return back to 70fps when chat mostly calmed down. for the purpose of this test i integrity checked my game cache so that i don't have altered or missing files and so not to influence the result. I also found whilst looking into the BaseEngine file by default Audio,Max channels was set at 32 i have left that intact. I then went on to delete the voice file and the stuttering in VOIP calmed down but i would still get a consistent lag dip when i launched the UGL and get loud explosions in my vicintity. 

Is this what is plaguing most AMD FX processor owners?. 

 

Edited by Axle84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2016 at 11:38 PM, Axle84 said:

 I also found whilst looking into the BaseEngine file by default Audio,Max channels was set at 32 i have left that intact. I then went on to delete the voice file and the stuttering in VOIP calmed down but i would still get a consistent lag dip when i launched the UGL and get loud explosions in my vicintity. 

Is this what is plaguing most AMD FX processor owners?. 

 

gush, and I thought I have a problem with low FPS xd

I had Phenom II x965 and I've never experienced anything like that. I was getting FPS drops down to 20 on high-populated servers but I couldn't find any relation of my FPS drops to a local chat or voice chat in general. At some point of time I've even asked about 12 of my clan-mates to start talking simultaneously in local chat, squad chat in Squad and TeamSpeak in the channel at the same time. My FPS dropped a little(as it should have, because of additional load) but nothing like yours. But, I think I've delete that radio files and I've turned off radio filter in game menu at that point of time, if I remember it correctly.

Answering to the devs question here's my PC setup:

Spoiler

Motherboard: Asus M5A97, Bios 1005
Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Twin Frozr II/OC 2GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1
Network card: D-Link DFE-520TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter 
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition [email protected] 
RAM: GOODRAM DDR3 8 GB PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) GR1333D364L9/8G 

I've played in 5.1 mode selected in control panel:
 

Spoiler

5.1%20system.png

I triend to turn on and off all kinds of 3D effects including EX Xear 3D and 7.1 Virtual.

Edited by KulaGGin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2016 at 2:38 PM, Axle84 said:

 

AMD FX 8350 and Asus 970 Strix

This is footage i took of what im experiencing and able to recreate indefinably (excuse my kids talking in the background) not sure if it's the same for others or even the symptoms the devs have found. Went from 70-80fps on a low populated private server down to a stuttering lag fest of 5fps whilst a few people where talking in close proximity to me. Just near the end i return back to 70fps when chat mostly calmed down. for the purpose of this test i integrity checked my game cache so that i don't have altered or missing files and so not to influence the result. I also found whilst looking into the BaseEngine file by default Audio,Max channels was set at 32 i have left that intact. I then went on to delete the voice file and the stuttering in VOIP calmed down but i would still get a consistent lag dip when i launched the UGL and get loud explosions in my vicintity. 

Is this what is plaguing most AMD FX processor owners?. 

 

I posted an update in another thread i can currently find!  but we know why this happens.. the answer isnt great (amd failz and bottlenecks) but we should be able to create a reduced sound quality / quantity work around. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

I posted an update in another thread i can currently find!  but we know why this happens.. the answer isnt great (amd failz and bottlenecks) but we should be able to create a reduced sound quality / quantity work around. 

 

I know bud i posted the vid not to beat a dead horse but to confirm this was the manifestation of AMD users issues playing. Many of these threads where just filled with frustrated words involving FPS loss but intel get FPS loss in areas too what defines AMD is the ingame Chat as a trigger for the FPS stutter.

I have a Cooler Master Sirus 5.1 head set using the 5.1 jack plug adapter to run true 5.1 through a Sound blaster z dedicated sound card iv taken on-board the advice you and the dev team have offered and im now running the headset through USB and both the headset and windows are now set to Stereo and i have removed the two sound files and i will report back if things have improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Axle84 said:

I know bud i posted the vid not to beat a dead horse but to confirm this was the manifestation of AMD users issues playing. Many of these threads where just filled with frustrated words involving FPS loss but intel get FPS loss in areas too what defines AMD is the ingame Chat as a trigger for the FPS stutter.

I have a Cooler Master Sirus 5.1 head set using the 5.1 jack plug adapter to run true 5.1 through a Sound blaster z dedicated sound card iv taken on-board the advice you and the dev team have offered and im now running the headset through USB and both the headset and windows are now set to Stereo and i have removed the two sound files and i will report back if things have improved.

Cheers! 

I believe the real problem is we are dealing with 2 issues. 

General poor performance of AMD hardware compared to their similar generation alternates (with exceptions)

Specific sound lag issues related to AMD. 

I think the mud in the water is that this is really two topics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Cheers! 

I believe the real problem is we are dealing with 2 issues. 

General poor performance of AMD hardware compared to their similar generation alternates (with exceptions)

Specific sound lag issues related to AMD. 

I think the mud in the water is that this is really two topics. 

I totally agree and can confirm removing the two sound files the voice and Radio seemed to cure the VOIP aspect but then close proximity intense fire fights and explosions would also cause a large temp dip in FPS on it's own meaning that there may indeed be two potential sources manifesting from effected AMD and a fix for one may not necessarily fix the other.

Intel prices are steep but that is to be expected since AMD under performs , but it's all we working men with families and low wages can afford and in most cases it's served us well with plenty of current titles, i broke the bank getting even an Asus strix GTX970 xmas before last lol. I seriously wish you guys the best of luck in hope that you  manage to figure something out. I know from what you tell me this will likely involve some sort of compromise (a significant reduction in sound quality and thus reduce the strain on our CPU) that we very well may have to just bite the bullet with.

Anyway thank you for keeping us informed.

Edited by Axle84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Axle84 said:

I totally agree and can confirm removing the two sound files the voice and Radio seemed to cure the VOIP aspect but then close proximity intense fire fights and explosions would also cause a large temp dip in FPS on it's own meaning that there may indeed be two potential sources manifesting from effected AMD and a fix for one may not necessarily fix the other.

Intel prices are steep but that is to be expected since AMD under performs , but it's all we working men with families and low wages can afford and in most cases it's served us well with plenty of current titles, i broke the bank getting even an Asus strix GTX970 xmas before last lol. I seriously wish you guys the best of luck in hope that you  manage to figure something out. I know from what you tell me this will likely involve some sort of compromise (a significant reduction in sound quality and thus reduce the strain on our CPU) that we very well may have to just bite the bullet with.

Anyway thank you for keeping us informed.

I get that and of course I direct no ill will at anyone for buying AMD.. that would just be foil hat nut job territory 

I have said it before ad I will say it again. 

If we could easily fix AMD performance we would and we had 1000s of players pre testing before Early access and these issues were either rare or unreported. 

We are here for the long haul.. we have at least another 16months of development planned to base feature set. there is still lots of time for these things to improve dramatically. 

 

chers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

If we could easily fix AMD performance we would and we had 1000s of players pre testing before Early access and these issues were either rare or unreported.

 

A possible reason for this was that players who are searching the couch cushions for money and could only afford AMD are likely not the people who could afford the Squad Leader, Commander, etc packages. Not anyone's fault, and no wrong done. That could be why more showed up at EA though.

Edited by penguins227
quoted wrong sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, penguins227 said:

 

A possible reason for this was that players who are searching the couch cushions for money and could only afford AMD are likely not the people who could afford the Squad Leader, Commander, etc packages. Not anyone's fault, and no wrong done. That could be why more showed up at EA though.

Absolutely. Thought the same thing myself. 

I wonder what would have happened if the game had been $14.99.. we would have been screwed. 

Development is one ongoing constant compromise..  let me tell you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A possible reason for this was that players who are searching the couch cushions for money and could only afford AMD are likely not the people who could afford the Squad Leader, Commander, etc packages. Not anyone's fault, and no wrong done. That could be why more showed up at EA though.

In my eyes: BIG NO. I dont have AMD for nearly 20 years coz i could not afford an Intel. I never ever had any kind of these problems in another game. There was no reason for me to buy intel.

If i had known before, i would have invested in the pre alpha thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Planetgong said:

In my eyes: BIG NO. I dont have AMD for nearly 20 years coz i could not afford an Intel. I never ever had any kind of these problems in another game. There was no reason for me to buy intel.emoji6.png

If i had known before, i would have invested in the pre alpha thing

Thanks for your input. Reading back over mine, I did not mean to give the impression that all AMD users are only AMD because they're of low socioeconomic status. I personally run AMD and always have (probably won't in the future though, given finances permit). From my observation, it seems that you and I are the exception and not the rule.

I apologize for veering this topic off course. I look forward to seeing a fix for voIP and AMD lag in the future. Good luck developers and don't forget about us. ;)

Edited by penguins227

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no problem. 

 

the reality is the sample was obviously less representative of the actual player population than we thought. 

That's a fact regardless of the reasons.   :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.3.2016 at 10:38 PM, Axle84 said:

 

-snip-

 

I have the same CPU as you, and I had the same issues. However I changed the ini's according to the performance guide as well as deleting the voice asset filets. This made it less buggy and I have not yet noticed this hardcore of fps drops. WIthout the tweaks I have the same issue as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This workaround works. Not entirely though, I'm still having FPS drops when some people talks, out of 9, it still happens when 1 or 2 players use comms. And also, whenever I fire with Russian marksman rifle FPS drops to 1 right after I shoot. Same goes for nade explosives. 

Edited by lastpuritan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lastpuritan said:

This workaround works. Not entirely though, I'm still having FPS drops when some people talks, out of 9, it still happens when 1 or 2 players use comms. And also, whenever I fire with Russian marksman rifle FPS drops to 1 right after I shoot. Same goes for nade explosives. 

 

Yes it isn't a fix all solution a dev highlighted the fact there seemed to be two separate manifestations of fps drop the first being with Squad communications which this fix helps solve and the high quality sounds themselves when in fire fights and with explosions etc. As a temp fix sort for the second the dev recommended running your headset in Stereo instead of surround 5.1/7.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Axle84 said:

 

Yes it isn't a fix all solution a dev highlighted the fact there seemed to be two separate manifestations of fps drop the first being with Squad communications which this fix helps solve and the high quality sounds themselves when in fire fights and with explosions etc. As a temp fix sort for the second the dev recommended running your headset in Stereo instead of surround 5.1/7.1.

 

Its already stereo... But i have fx8320, kinda no luck there till I get an Intel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as everyone here I guess, game lags and stutters probably at the worst moments possible. I have tried using stereo and 7.1. Tried lowering voice audio options, deleted those two files and changed max channels in a file somewhere. One by one and even the combined effect of all this is pretty negligible. I do however have something that I really hope will be of use to the tech savvy developers.

 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/241358/amd-cpu-very-low-performance-because-ixaudio2sourc.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do however have something that I really hope will be of use to the tech savvy developers.

 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/241358/amd-cpu-very-low-performance-because-ixaudio2sourc.html

"OWI Armin" did already post in that thread.

Furthermore:

[EPIC] MinusKelvin posted:

I did not realize this was posted by the same people having issues we've heard about with Squad and VOIP streaming. I suspect the performance issue is related to VOIP/Procedural buffers. I've seen some videos and the audio issues only occur when somebody is using VOIP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still get the voice stutter and at times makes the game unplayable.  

 

I do not have any AMD equipment.  All Intel.  

 

Reinstalled video and basic sound drivers.  Every work around I have read works for like the first game.  I feel better then next game it comes back..  Such a pain in my butt. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×