Clinch

Headsets

Looking for a new headset <200.00 anyone have any recommendations. I got hyper x cloud 2 and I wasn't impressed (particularly with mic levels) so I'm sending them back. Anyone use sennheiser 363d because those may be my choice? Thanks gents

I use the Razer Kraken Chroma. I can´t recommend it, it has no volume controll on the cable/unit which just sucks! The sound is OK though.

I use the Razer Kraken Chroma. I can´t recommend it, it has no volume controll on the cable/unit which just sucks! The sound is OK though.

I use this too, sound is pretty decent! Just no independent external volume controls. Mic can be great if you can figure out the right mic settings on razer synapse.

I don't want to be that guy (have been saying that a few times now...) but steelseries peripherals are known for breaking easily.

I use this too, sound is pretty decent! Just no independent external volume controls. Mic can be great if you can figure out the right mic settings on razer synapse.

Yeah but the software is also kind of a joke, I will never use another headset from Razer again, I love their mice though!

mines old but awesome, had to import from England through an Aussie distro :  Speedlink Medusa 5.1

re: Razer: a mate has a Razer headset and while it apparently makes sweet noises, the mic is rubbish - or its the cheap hollow plastic boom its stuck on. . .

I can give you some nice recommendations for a headphone and standalone mic. 

Is the budget in £ $ or €? 

Little recommendations anyway based on research and owning the products;-

Headphones;-

Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 990 Pro (Go for the 250 Ohm) 

Sennheiser 558 or 598

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Mic;-

Antlion modmic v4 (Personally recommend this if you only use TS/In-game Voice chat)

Blue Ice Snowball 

Plantronics Audio 300 Microphone

You can also create a set-up by using the following - Samson SAQ7, XLR to USB cable, mic arm and pop filter. 

If you really want an all in one solution then Sennheiser has the Game Zero & Game One. But to be honest you get much better quality buying them separate.

Any questions feel free :P

Hou'd have said > 200, I'd answer Beyerdynamic MMX 300 and nothing else.

< 200 : Beyerdynamic DT 770 (same as MMX 300 but w/o mic integrated) so great sound quality ; adding a dedicated good sound card and its the perfect choice.

Others ideas : HyperX Cloud II, PC 363D, Steelseries 9H.

My last tip : a 7.1 headset doesnt exist. There are only expensive headsets with good sound, and others headsets more or less expensive ; headset is one of the part of your rig you should spend money on, as a good one will last for years (and a very good one, for decades ? :))

I personnaly tried several HS, and my MMX (which is NOT 7.1) has a FAR better 3D positioning than any others, including 7.1 ones.

Good luck for your purchase ;)

EDIT : above 200$ you've this, too (my secondary one, when I wanna listen to good music ; sound is... not too bad :D :lol: :D :lol: :D) The price may be... disconcerting...

mines old but awesome, had to import from England through an Aussie distro :  Speedlink Medusa 5.1

re: Razer: a mate has a Razer headset and while it apparently makes sweet noises, the mic is rubbish - or its the cheap hollow plastic boom its stuck on. . .

My mic is also rubbish on my Razer headset. I had a 2 Euro mic before which had way better quality (at least my friends say so)

Buy a quality headphone that is built for music and I would stay away from headsets that are built by random gaming peripheral companies. 

Guest Guest

1. Disregard people recommending you their own headsets as they're likely to have 0 experience with anything decent.

2. Closed back or open? Closed back - people around you can't hear you and you can't hear them, smaller soundstage. Open - you can hear people around you and they can hear what you're listening to, bigger soundstage. When buying a gaming headset positioning is very important and you can't have good positioning with small soundstage. It's hard to describe, but bigger the soundstage the more it seems like sounds are coming from around you instead from your headset.

3. Ever though of buying headphones and mic separately? It gives you a lot more options where you can buy something according to your music taste too.

Quick recommendations:

Closed back headset: Sennheiser Game Zero

Open back headset: Sennheiser Game One (seriously, if you go for a headset these 2 are far beyond other crap)

Open headphones: Audio Technica ATH-700X, AKG K701, AKG Q701

1. Disregard people recommending you their own headsets as they're likely to have 0 experience with anything decent.

2. Closed back or open? Closed back - people around you can't hear you and you can't hear them, smaller soundstage. Open - you can hear people around you and they can hear what you're listening to, bigger soundstage. When buying a gaming headset positioning is very important and you can't have good positioning with small soundstage. It's hard to describe, but bigger the soundstage the more it seems like sounds are coming from around you instead from your headset.

3. Ever though of buying headphones and mic separately? It gives you a lot more options where you can buy something according to your music taste too.

Quick recommendations:

Closed back headset: Sennheiser Game Zero

Open back headset: Sennheiser Game One (seriously, if you go for a headset these 2 are far beyond other crap)

Open headphones: Audio Technica ATH-700X, AKG K701, AKG Q701

idk how I managed to post as a guest... Last advice: don't buy audio equipment from a gaming company as 90% are utter crap and other 10% can be found much better + cheaper.

PC 363d's are very good Clinch, prolly the best gaming headset you can get right there with the MMX 300. If you really just want a headset with a mic built in either of these two would do you very well.

Logitech G35. A beast for FPS games & communication,

I had the g35 for 6 years before my razer chroma, the device broke down and I bought razer.... biggest mistake of my life. The g35 is one beast of a headset!

Yeah but the software is also kind of a joke, I will never use another headset from Razer again, I love their mice though!

Yeh synapse is quite ass. Mic settings like to reset themselves when I launch certain games. 

Yeh, I got me a Razer naga hex, has done me good for a few years.Their keyboards are pretty nice too, got the blackwidow ultimate.

I used a Razer Megalodon for years, it was very expensive at the time, although the sound was excelent, the cable connection gave me trouble with the mic cutting out after a year or so.

I have recently aquired a Logitech G430 headset, 7.1 usb and I really like it, cost a 3rd of the price I paid for the Razer Megalodon.

The price has dropped over the last month, you should be able to get a set for 50 odd €.

Recommended.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards sennheiser due to positive reviews on this forum and youtubers. As I said in op I purchased hyper x cloud 2 and while they sound good, I can't adjust the mic levels in windows. You can adjust the mic on the usb but windows sets volume of mic at 0. Contacted online support and searched Google for troubleshooting but no help (on windows 8).

Looking for a new headset <200.00 anyone have any recommendations. I got hyper x cloud 2 and I wasn't impressed (particularly with mic levels) so I'm sending them back. Anyone use sennheiser 363d because those may be my choice? Thanks gents

I've tried many different headsets in the past, but I've have had my Sennheiser PC 350 headset for a few years now and loved it so much I bought another one. I highly recommend Sennheiser.

I've tried many different headsets in the past, but I've have had my Sennheiser PC 350 headset for a few years now and loved it so much I bought another one. I highly recommend Sennheiser.

Anyway, buying an headset from a brand specialized in audio equipement is almost always a better choice than buying a gaming headset... as long as you have the money... Thus Sennheiser and BeyerD are good choices.