Sign in to follow this  
Docttj

Working vehicle mirrors

I'm sorry if a thread has been made about this (Search turned up nothing) or if this feature is already planned (I am not aware)

I think for a game based more so in realism details such as working mirrors on vehicles are important. I don't really think there needs to be much detail typed up about this. Drivers need to be able to see behind their vehicles and mirrors accomplish it. Of course, mirrors do take a performance impact and depending on hardware you may have to turn them off or lower reflection quality. People with lower end hardware should still be able to drive without mirrors, so I think a typical "Rear view" camera change works fine for that. However, even with that option I still think mirrors should be in the game. It's a more instant way of checking behind you while still retaining forward view. 

I imagine the ability to do this will be based on engine tools and ease of implementing it/performance issues if can be implemented. Would love to see it if it is reasonable. 

My only consern would be performance. I think mirrors has been the best fps killer for me in alot of games (in combination with render distance ;) i tend to start with all settings at max before realizing i need to turn some down..)

I'd just make it an option like they do in most games. Possibly include some sort of indication of objects behind the vehicle for those that can't use PiP for performance reasons. For example, the driver being able to view 360 degrees of their vehicle in 3rd person, ONLY when stationary. Or simple visual cues for warning when something is behind. But then again this is all probably unnecessary. :rolleyes:

If at all possible this would be a great feature to have as something that the user can enable or disable and the quality of it too. It's not such a huge advantage to have that it's completely unfair for those with higher end computers to have plus it would actually help for backing up. Besides, I want the HMMVE driver to see my bombcar is his mirror ;)

Mirrors will be interesting rendering if able to be implemented. I just hope vehicles have good design for visibility ingame, not like the retarded Dutch apc in pr with a modeled hatch open messing the driver and gunners view up. Poor design choice that kinda ruins an otherwise decent apc.

Do you want to half your FPS?

This is how you half your FPS.  

Well, we can somewhat just use the standard shader with having the 'mirror' material be metallic = 1 and roughness = 0. While it isn't the best reflections for player objects it does help more than any static flat texture. Pretty sure it could work in a capacity to enhance immersion and with limited value to orientation, but not game changing or game breaking.

Maybe include the ability to look out back out of your transport vehicle like in euro truck simulator? It works very simple, you have free look inside the cabin, when you move your mouse all the way to the left the players camera goes outside of the cabin and you can look towards the back of the vehicle.

You can see this in action at 7:00

https://youtu.be/0-qLBTLRjdA?t=419

Euro truck has a graphics setting just for the very good mirrors.

Would the developers SCS let us use their engine sounds where relevant do you think?

I personally don't think it's worth the effort nor the performance hit. The option to look behind me in a vehicle is enough.