Spectral

Admins asked... We listened...

A question. Say if you had three servers named 1, 2, and 3 respectively, and server 2 was subscribed to that of the banlist of server 1, and server 3 was subscribed to server 2, I have a few questions.

First of all, if a ban is made on server 2, will that be replicated to server 1 or will server 1 have to explicitly subscribe to server 2? (This question is also more or less questioning whether or not the subscription system is a replication system or not).

Second of all, will server 3 get the banlist of server 1 & 2 combined or just that of server 2?

Third of all, (this question can sort of answer the top two, but I'll ask it anyway) will be banlists be replicated or queried? So to continue with the example, player with steamid X joins server 2, does server 2 then check its own banlist then query any other servers its subscribed to, or will the whole banlists be replicated and merged.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm a stickler for details, and I don't even own a server, I'm just curious on the technical side of things and thought server owners ought to know a bit about how the system works.

Awesome update btw.

I agree totally with you slipycat.

0 tolerance people, owning a server or not. Help each admin with all the info you can and we will have the 2-3 anti cheat systems in place.

Not only the cheat system but server respect. You want to disrespect the server, good luck to you. I was and still am a server owner, script writer and i do not disrespect the servers i play on. It costs those communities a ton of cash for us.

Like i was saying we have your steam ID so a ban will be easy for the admins.

I also thank the devs for giving us a game that imports your steam id, into the game. It makes it so easy to follow these guys.

Wow!

This is awesome news to hear/read.

Not a server owner for squad, but I've run a decent number for other games.

I can only imagine how this is going to better the overall player experience, alongside streamlining a huge portion of server operation.

Props to those who asked and the Devs for providing.

Bans are not replicated. Bans are loaded on server start so if a server stops subscribing to other server bans, the banned player will no longer be banned.

@Spectral Are you planning to make some kind of official squad ban list that every server owner can subscribe if they want?

We do have a global ban list that all servers will subscribe too automatically. This will include problem players, trolls etc. We will not include hackers in this as we are leaving that to our Anti-Cheat to deal with so it marks their account. The good thing about our Anti-Cheat is that they have partnered with steam so if they are banned by the AC, valve will see this ban and mark their account as well.

We do have a global ban list that all servers will subscribe too automatically. This will include problem players, trolls etc. We will not include hackers in this as we are leaving that to our Anti-Cheat to deal with so it marks their account. The good thing about our Anti-Cheat is that they have partnered with steam so if they are banned by the AC, valve will see this ban and mark their account as well.

Good News!!

I think this will be great. One of my biggest fear was this game get killed by hackers, like other great EA games were in steam. =)

Bans are not replicated. Bans are loaded on server start so if a server stops subscribing to other server bans, the banned player will no longer be banned.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Ok would this utility have a back-end screenshot utility so people can review random screenshots throughout the day of unusual behavior?

Just curious.

Does that work both ways?

The cheaters I've reported both already had 3 VAC bans on record on their account, and one had a game ban on top... Doesn't that mean anything?

Does that work both ways?

The cheaters I've reported both already had 3 VAC bans on record on their account, and one had a game ban on top... Doesn't that mean anything?

I have seen a guy who had a history of 10 VAC bans who was then later reported to be cheating in SQUAD.

Sometimes you don't believe your own eyes...

STEAM's foggy policies just a mystery sometimes.

Couldn't something using the steam API be coded server side to do a lookup on players connecting for vac bans.

I know it could be coded client side and just not show the server browser if the players has bans, using the steam API.

I don't now how secure that is client side though, and server side would add to server load and a little connection time.