xtali

The "taking things way too seriously" part of the community.

So I just hopped on for a round of Squad and joined the first eng mic squad I saw. Anyway I start getting the comms going but these guys are just full on serious. A few minutes later I get kicked for saying something about butt stuff ect. I wasnt even pushing anyones buttons or anything, this was regural PR fucking around. Is it just these new guys that migrated from ArmA?

And its not like they are super organised or anything, they dont even understand half the concepts, or what the game was like in the mod, they just want to follow orders, even if it gets them killed, no talking back, and I get that to a degree, but damm, it feels like the old community isnt present right now.

Its ither the people are full on serious, no fucking around, or they dont even talk, there isnt that middle ground like in PR, where you could just have fun to some degree and greet eachother, while in down time.

Its a scary time, all these new people...and the forums feel like it too, all these people trying to push the game in the direction of a full on sim, like calm down, play some PR, come back to Squad, see the difference and wait for the full features, what we have now is just a shell.

I just want to play PR on a new engine so damm bad, I guess the mod will have to do it for now, or until the old server hosts start hosting agin with the admin support. When I saw a HostileTakeover server I puked a little in my mouth, their ArmA admins are some of the worst. (pls PRTA EU save us :rolleyes: )

I think most people play to have fun. :)

Yea I get that, but there is a certain element of (and im gonna get hanged for this but what ever) "casualness" to the series, it wasnt full on arcade mode, but it wasnt full on Mill sim, right now it just feels like its hanging a bit to the sim side, but that might just be me, I feel like not having kits is a big part of it, now you cant even pick up a medic kit and there are no 3D markers for the SL's. Its too early to tell to be honest, but the kit thing is really bothering me, so many people just give up and waste tickets.

I've yet to see this either after about 40 hours of play, but this sounds a lot like what occasionally happens in ArmA III. People cling to what they know best in the face of the unknown (not to get overly dramatic), and they probably were a group that migrated over, and didn't understand the difference in atmosphere.

The vast majority of the community is at least (if not more) casual than PR, and like you said, it depends a lot on the server.

Can't say I have met a serious SL/squad yet who don't accept a bit of banter during the quieter moments. Maybe you didn't pick the right moment or came in off the back of someone who wouldn't shut up and got the same treatment they did.

If I found myself in a full on serious squad I'd probably leave anyway as I prefer that 'fun' experience.

I am all in favor of squad agreement, and work together as a unit. How serious depends on the group.

How long did you play with them before they decided to boot you?

Might have been just the group, I cant really tell, the usual round of PR goes something like this>>

I have had a couple of them like that in Squad but it was with my crew, not on pub, Iv yet to have a really good group come up on pub alone, I guess its going to take time until the modes flesh out.

Im just kind of dissapointed in the direction, especially with the control side, they are all so delayed and stuff, it takes so much time to start running, pull out a gun and what not.

when i have SL'd in the past I don't mind people cracking jokes and shit when we are not engaged with an enemy, but i expect them to put their serious face on when the bullets are flying.
other then that try to have fun, if your not having fun then whats the point?

and the community can push and fight all they want, the devs are going to do what the devs are going to do.
if they see a good idea they might use it but they are not going to sway their original vision because a few people start criticizing them.

Fun, Serious, and Effective are not mutually exclusive terms in Squad.

How much of each to apply to play, (let alone what each term means) is ones own decision.

Honesty I squad lead every game. There are bad apples but a vast majority want to learn.

when i have SL'd in the past I don't mind people cracking jokes and shit when we are not engaged with an enemy, but i expect them to put their serious face on when the bullets are flying.

other then that try to have fun, if your not having fun then whats the point?

and the community can push and fight all they want, the devs are going to do what the devs are going to do.

if they see a good idea they might use it but they are not going to sway their original vision because a few people start criticizing them.

I get what you are saying, and when I SL I do it exactly like that, if we are on the way to the front there isnt a moment of silence, I crack jokes and have a good time, but as soon as we get contact I break the shit up and get "serious".

I like the devs mindset, but I hope its not as set in stone as it is right now, im not all up to date on the features, but the removal of kits and the time delay on movements (gun switch, sprinting delay and unability to at least vault at low stamina) is gettin me worried, it means that once vehicles are in, that if the guy with the LAT dies, as well as the medic, the whole squad might as well suicide.

Are you talking about how Bluedrake plays?

Hahaha, oh that idiot. Nah, its just that there is a degree of casualness/fun missing in pub games for me right now, not full on "oh lets not make a sound in comms becouse there is a small chance that we might hear an enemy footstep".

I guess its down to the fact that the older server hosters are not up yet, being properly admind, as well as the lack of the map sizes and vehicles. Like I said, it was too early to judge the community, the game itself has a long way to go.

Were you using squad radio or local? He could have been talking to other squad leaders with squad leader radio and since you can't hear it you wouldn't know. And I can understand it being annoying to the SL if you were using squad radio and potentially blocking other people from talking but I don't think that was your case.

Local chat button is generally for the jokes and chit chat. Squad radio should be calling targets/SL orders.

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah I like casual talks to get everyone comfortable with each other and of course, the game is meant to be fun :D.

im cool with it but, mostly i tell em to keep the chatter in local and and map co-ords in squad chat so i can mark the maps and make decisions 

Might have been just the group, I cant really tell, the usual round of PR goes something like this>>

I have had a couple of them like that in Squad but it was with my crew, not on pub, Iv yet to have a really good group come up on pub alone, I guess its going to take time until the modes flesh out.

Im just kind of dissapointed in the direction, especially with the control side, they are all so delayed and stuff, it takes so much time to start running, pull out a gun and what not.

Hehe funny video :)

It's up the to squad leader to run it how he wants. If he wants a serious squad, then it's his right to do so. They should have at least warned you before kicking though, that's a bit rude. Otherwise I don't see the problem

...they just want to follow orders, even if it gets them killed, ...

lol thats how i play--i follow orders even if its an obvious suicide mission from and incompetent SL