Diverse^

Please have and use a headset!

There are two kinds of micless players.

1. He bought the game with the intent of playing it as a squadmember. He tries to understand what the SL is trying to do, and he wants to contribute to the squad's efforts. Without you telling him, he already knows that he ought to use a mic if he wants to play in the "good" squads on a SQ server.

2. Everyone else. This group includes: people that don't understand the server language, people that only want to talk to their 1-2 friends on teamspeak and never use ingame comms, people that just want to play a game of BF4, etc.

It doesn't need to be said that the population of group 2 is much larger than the population of group 1. Actually, a lot larger. Some micless players are able to figure out by themselves that there is a reason why micless player squads are not wanted in the "good" squads--generally, those people don't need my help to understand why it's bad to be micless. The remaining micless players--I don't want them in my squad. Statistically speaking, if a micless player joins my squad, chances are that he's probably from group 2. I don't have the time to personally interview every micless player who joins my squad to see if he belongs to group 1 or group 2.

And at no point am I ever hostile to micless players; I just tell them "Sorry, you need a mic to be in my squad. Come back when you have a mic installed." This is not chasing them away.

But like I said, none of this would be a problem if mic-nazis like me had "mic-only servers" to play on, and micless players had "no mic servers" to play on. I don't think mixing the two is very productive.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be a moan but this is SUPER frustrating.

When i'm squad leading and I call a mic check, i find that sometimes a few people do not have microphones.

Please remember guys this is a TEAM based game, and solid communication is mandatory to win and play the game as it should be played.

Headsets don't cost a fortune! If you can afford £30 for the game, I'm sure you can afford a piece of plastic on your head.

Diverse^  -_-

Not everyone has money to buy a microphone :(.

http://www.amazon.ca/SODIAL-Microphone-Flexible-Canceling-Computer/dp/B00WG8O7DA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_504_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41z1gX6l7vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BVQHN5ZD2CA3GG27GH0

Price: CDN$ 4.88 FREE SHIPPING.

If you can't afford that how did you buy a 40$ usd game? I've used this same mic as a backup and it sounds great.

http://www.amazon.ca/SODIAL-Microphone-Flexible-Canceling-Computer/dp/B00WG8O5P0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453155912&sr=8-2&keywords=sodial+microphone

Price:

CDN$ 5.21 FREE SHIPPING.

If you can't afford that how did you buy a 40$ usd game? I've used this same mic as a backup and it sounds great.

The way I see it is you spend 80 bucks on a quality mic. You won't have to spend more money on mics that break.

The way I see it is you spend 80 bucks on a quality mic. You won't have to spend more money on mics that break.

I'm not sure how someone breaks a mic but the point was not being able to afford one is a bad excuse.

I'm not sure how someone breaks a mic but the point was not being able to afford one is a bad excuse.

Dog ate my $200 turtle beach one when I lived at my dads, the little shit learned how to open doors and would sneak in.

Geesh if you can afford a computer and high speed connection you can afford a mic. I would wish though kids could play without a mic, they might not be so disruptive....:)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Surely you'd read reviews about the game, watch videos, research, read up before you buy it? Especially if spending £30 for an Alpha game. If you've done that then it's pretty clear indication to have the most fun its advised you have a microphone, for this type of game it really is a no brainer.

This whole game is based around communication.. In fact it's a selling point.

Whilst I agree that sometimes it's not always convenient to have your mic on (my wife always tells me I'm too loud at night) but I personally would never play the game without a mic, I do tolerate those that don't have mic's but it's far from an enjoyable experience especially if you are squad lead.

So by all means play without a mic but remember it's you that's missing out and taking time to write in side chat is time consuming and takes your focus off the task in hand. Just bite the bullet and go get a cheap Microsoft chat headset for less than £20.

But you have money to buy a £30 Alpha game and I presume a well specced PC? :blink:

Maths not adding up here..

I sometimes use the headphones that came with my mobile phone as opposed to my gaming headset...that has an inline mic. There are plenty of options out there, just need to think outside the box.

It's like buying a motorbike without a helmet.. Just because you got the bike doesn't mean you can ride it?!?

http://www.amazon.ca/SODIAL-Microphone-Flexible-Canceling-Computer/dp/B00WG8O7DA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_504_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41z1gX6l7vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BVQHN5ZD2CA3GG27GH0

Price: CDN$ 4.88 FREE SHIPPING.

40 dollars may have been all they had.

It's even worse when I join 3 different squads and nobody is communicating and then try to make my own squad so I can get some people that want to work together in there and nobody joins.  Then I end up doing better than the squads that are running around doing nothing. 

So much elitist tripe.  Reminds me of a mod called Project Reality...  yawn.

Mics help but they are not essential, and don't make good teamwork players.  Its a fallacy.

Mics help but they are not essential, and don't make good teamwork players.  Its a fallacy.

Essential? Not at all... Nor is a playing on a gaming speced laptop without a mouse... Sure you can still play using the inbuilt tracker pad, but efficiency is substantially less. (A rather different/extreme comparison but principle is still the same.)

Everyone has their own views and opinions and they're no doubt interesting to read. I do see points from both sides of the 'argument' however I just know for sure whenever I am in a Squad, for me it is mandatory my team mates have microphones... Call me an ass, call me whatever, but it's how I like to play and the majority who play in my squads do also... My side of the 'Argument' is fueled by bad experiences with comrads without mic's.

I wouldn't call it elitist, that I feel is a tad harsh.

What I would say is that a large proportion of the fan base for this game have certain expectations, yes it may remind you of PR, but the people making Squad are the ones who made PR, slating them for that is unfair and somewhat rude. Squad's roots are in PR and you need to remember that a lot of those players are now arriving here in Squad. These types of games will always attract the 'elitist' types you refer to, but in my eyes they are the type who enjoy immersive gaming, and play it how it is intended to be (just look at the promotional material).

Now you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, however you need to respect that a large portion of the people here don't share you views either. The game should be played with a mic, period. If you wish to play without a mic then go play on your own server or with a load of randoms on a public server. Or you could always go play COD if you feel this game is too elitist.

Of course this is my opinion and you will most likely disagree with what I said... That I respect too. ;)

And your argument is a straw man fallacy. Nobody is claiming that a mic makes a good teamplayer. The claim is that a mic is required to be an efficient or useful team player.

I don't fully agree with that, I think players can be useful without a mic, but I won't deny that if you raise your bar of expectations of teamwork and communication, at some point a mic simply becomes mandatory to achieve your minimum required level of efficient communication.

Plus it simply enhances the gameplay experience and "immersion" when casually talking with your teammates rather than reading or typing away or only communicating the important bits.

And your argument is a straw man fallacy. Nobody is claiming that a mic makes a good teamplayer. The claim is that a mic is required to be an efficient or useful team player.

I don't fully agree with that, I think players can be useful without a mic, but I won't deny that if you raise your bar of expectations of teamwork and communication, at some point a mic simply becomes mandatory to achieve your minimum required level of efficient communication.

Plus it simply enhances the gameplay experience and "immersion" when casually talking with your teammates rather than reading or typing away or only communicating the important bits.

I agree with you!

I know some people may have issues using microphones late at night with the family/kids around them. But the solution isn't to unplug your mic and ignore everyone in your squad, you just have to stop screaming "CONFIRMED SQUAD LEADER, ENEMY 150 100 METRES!!!"

You could whisper occasionally or just key your mic.

Alternatively you could just do what I do, if anyone complains about my noise I get them out of bed and interrogate them for being 'stop the war' sympathisers. Don't they know there's a bloody war on.... 

Ok. Another one of these threads.

Who are anyone of us to tell players what they can or can't do.

What is your solution?

I want all the (IMO) deadweight players money to sponsor this games (my game!) development.

To this concern and so many other; community regulated servers is the answer.

No mic server.

Mic required server.

Tell me again why we can't have it all?

The thing is, who is going to pay for a micless server?

I never played PR so you could tell me that they existed back then and clans contributed to them, but in 2016 is this still going to happen?

I mean I wouldn't pay/contribute for a no mic server just so people who can't/won't get a mic can play on it. But meh, different horses for different courses.

But I admire your 'take their money anyway' attitude.

Ok. Another one of these threads.

Who are anyone of us to tell players what they can or can't do.

What is your solution?

I want all the (IMO) deadweight players money to sponsor this games (my game!) development.

To this concern and so many other; community regulated servers is the answer.

No mic server.

Mic required server.

Tell me again why we can't have it all?

Yes I agree, servers like that could be ideal. And who am I to tell players what to do? I'm not, that's correct - However I can manage/run my squad when SL'ing how I like. We all play in different ways.

Sorry, but the OP and anyone who agrees with him needs a reality check. This is a game, and you can play it any damn way you want.

These threads are silly. Everyone should buy Squad...everybody! ;)

I recommend not to listen to this op post. You can buy the game with a webcam w/mic, and a set of speakers :)

It would help if you can communicate either with texting or speaking to others. English is preferred for some servers.

Don't listen to these elite gamer's, they want everything their way. Buy the game all you want, and help in development of it.

Posts like this discourage others from buying it.