Diverse^

Please have and use a headset!

Lol, you clearly haven't taken everything into consideration that was said on this thread... Read my OP and skipped to the end to reply in fury by any chance?  :P

Hey you're allowed to have your opinion, I know you disagree so no need to get passive aggressive. Your counterpoint of "And don't say type it, that's just ridiculous" isn't exactly a strong argument. I think plenty of other people in this thread have voiced good points about how a mic is nice, but not necessary, to good team play, to which you haven't made a coherent response beyond blithe out-of-hand dismissal and goal post moving.

May I remind you the title of the thread you started is "Don't buy Squad if you don't have a headset!!!", not "If you come in to a super-serious tactical server please have a mic". :rolleyes:

I just want everyone reading this to know that the community welcomes everyone who comes to play cooperatively and have fun, and there will always be stick in the mud players who will tell you that you are doing it wrong. Ignore them, and find the positive in the game and the community.

yap, u can use your mobilephone in-ear with mic aswell - i think almost everyone has them...

the problem is, some people just dont like to communicate.

i do run a server with "mic required" in its name - and there are plenty of players who dont say anything...

it's just annoying!

Hey you're allowed to have your opinion, I know you disagree so no need to get passive aggressive. Your counterpoint of "And don't say type it, that's just ridiculous" isn't exactly a strong argument. I think plenty of other people in this thread have voiced good points about how a mic is nice, but not necessary, to good team play, to which you haven't made a coherent response beyond blithe out-of-hand dismissal and goal post moving.

May I remind you the title of the thread you started is "Don't buy Squad if you don't have a headset!!!", not "If you come in to a super-serious tactical server please have a mic". :rolleyes:

I just want everyone reading this to know that the community welcomes everyone who comes to play cooperatively and have fun, and there will always be stick in the mud players who will tell you that you are doing it wrong. Ignore them, and find the positive in the game and the community.

I'm not being passive aggressive at all.... man, trying to understand vibe and tone over text on a screen can be so misleading sometimes.... 

Once again, in a previous post on this thread you'll find me saying I fully welcome new players and help them out in my own free time. Yes you're right perhaps the title of this topic is a bit OTT, maybe I should have adjusted that, however I find an equal balance of opinion from various people on here. It's interesting to see how different people see it, some agree, some do not, just like you'll find on every other thread on this forum. 

This is such a bigoted attitude to have when it comes to Squad. The statement shouldn't be "don't buy squad if you dont have a headset" as that just makes the Squad community sound like a bunch of arrogant assholes when we should be encouraging the likes of something along the lines of... "if you're considering buying squad, a headset is highly recommended"

It's never been a deal breaker for me, if you're a Squad Leader, then yes I think a MIC is required but when it comes to players jumping in a squad I don't believe a mic is absolutely necessary. It would be nice yes, but not necessary. I've rolled with a few successful squads without everyone being on comms. Granted as long as the squad member is generally following orders and reacts properly to callouts, for the most part they will be fine. Other roles play an important role such as grenadiers or medics following up via voice. 

I think I have more of an issue with the attitude we have when it comes to player mic requirements, rather than the encouragement of its use. 

when the server files go public there is going to be a high chance there will be noob / lone wolf servers that have no rules and or more then happy to have players play on them as if it was call of duty.

I'm sure in the future we will even see kill feeds, low respawn timers, and other mods of that sort.

So no mic'ers will have no problem playing on those servers.

Mmhmm,this brings back some old memories from JOps,Team Death Match/King of the Hill/Sniper wars...Better start polising my old trusted M240!!.

If I remeber correctly,Public Server's won't enforce Mics,so it's upto individuals SL's...

I'm here to lead not to read...

Although a lack of headset can be annoying for squad members, it's more annoying to me as SL when someone won't even 'mic check' in text. Then you know they either speak a different language or are ignorant. I always feel bad when kicking someone from a squad but this is the only reason I've ever had to.

I'm here to lead not to read...

Although a lack of headset can be annoying for squad members, it's more annoying to me as SL when someone won't even 'mic check' in text. Then you know they either speak a different language or are ignorant. I always feel bad when kicking someone from a squad but this is the only reason I've ever had to.

Montoya! We've played a few games together dude. Hoohah! 

Just a thought, none of the folks without mics are even on the forums. Stop complaining about the mumbletards where only intelligent people can see.

yap, u can use your mobilephone in-ear with mic aswell - i think almost everyone has them...

the problem is, some people just dont like to communicate.

i do run a server with "mic required" in its name - and there are plenty of players who dont say anything...

it's just annoying!

Yeah, but that's then I step in and talking to them. Asking stuff. Tell where the enemy is. Like a 2:nd squadleader ;)

Don't play as squad lead without a mic*

Ftfy op.

People can still listen, follow orders and play. Besides, the more money the devs get the faster this gem can become a masterpiece.

Unless you have a disability I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have/use one. They are used in almost all online games now. You can order a desktop mic from amazon for 2$/free shipping and put earbuds in if you have to and it works just fine.

If you can't buy a 2$ mic how could you afford a 40$ game?

If you are afraid of people hearing your voice on the internet that's a mental health issue and shouldn't be defended like it's normal.

Unless you have a disability I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have/use one. They are used in almost all online games now. You can order a desktop mic from amazon for 2$/free shipping and put earbuds in if you have to and it works just fine.

If you can't buy a 2$ mic how could you afford a 40$ game?

If you are afraid of people hearing your voice on the internet that's a mental health issue and shouldn't be defended like it's normal.

1. my baby is crying in the background, nobody wants to hear that

2. I'm playing at 4am and don't want to wake my wife (between an angry wife and an angry SL, the SL can suck it)

3. my headset broke yesterday, one is on order

3 reasons I might not use my mic in a game. (I don't have a baby yet, and my mic is working perfectly fine, but I have played at 4 am and said all of 5 words in an entire match)

Really don't buy the game? LMAO. No, just tell them to buy a mic then kick them out of the squad. Devs need all the help they can get.

Mic-required servers will correct this problem, eventually. :) With or without the devs implementing an in-game check, certain servers will always be able to prevent micless players from joining.

But this is why I also think there should be "no mic servers", where all in-game VOIP is disabled. This would provide a more level playing field for various people who (for some reason or another) cannot use a mic while playing SQ.

Diversity isn't a bad thing. Mic users and non-mic users should both purchase Squad ('cuz OWI are awesome devs and I want them to get lots of money), but there should be servers which cater only to mic users and servers that cater to micless users, and servers that cater to both. I don't like this attitude where every SQ player must be forced into the latter--that isn't diversity, it's just homogeneity.

I agree Nightingale. I remember when we had a huge discussion about this on the PR forums last summer. I have been dreading when it would finally emerge here and well it didn't take as long as I had hoped. 

In my opinion the best thing we can do with micless players, and my personal favorite, is to show them just how much fun SQUAD can be and then after that awesome round tell them it gets 10x better if they get a mic and join in on the communication.

To want to ban micless players is just stupid. Especially for this game at this stage of development.

Kicking players without mics out of your squad also points to your massive inefficiency as a Squad Leader, so get good you scrubs!

1. my baby is crying in the background, nobody wants to hear that

2. I'm playing at 4am and don't want to wake my wife (between an angry wife and an angry SL, the SL can suck it)

3. my headset broke yesterday, one is on order

3 reasons I might not use my mic in a game. (I don't have a baby yet, and my mic is working perfectly fine, but I have played at 4 am and said all of 5 words in an entire match)

1. Don't have kids, the world is overpopulated enough :) jk.

2. Don't play squad at 4am. Plenty of other games to play at weird hours.

3. Don't play until your headset comes.

Soundboard is a good investment and would block out most the mid/high frequencies you/your baby would make. Low tones would cut through but those probably won't wake up your angry wife or bleed much baby crying through into the game. I use soundboard all the time when recording musicians. Foam insultation can be bough for almost nothing at hardware stores if you want an even cheaper solution.

4. Yes I'm an unreasonable man. I know this.

In my opinion the best thing we can do with micless players, and my personal favorite, is to show them just how much fun SQUAD can be and then after that awesome round tell them it gets 10x better if they get a mic and join in on the communication.

That may be the best thing to do, but I personally do not have the patience to do this. Most "good" PR/SQ players will figure out own their own that using a mic is the way to go anyways--it's obvious to see that miclessness is a handicap when you find yourself unable to say "hey I'm gonna throw a grenade down that hallway, can you cover me for a sec?"

As soon as mic-required servers are a thing, that's where I'm going to go play.

Kicking players without mics out of your squad also points to your massive inefficiency as a Squad Leader, so get good you scrubs!

What's wrong with doing that? This is the norm in PR.

That may be the best thing to do, but I personally do not have the patience to do this. Most "good" PR/SQ players will figure out own their own that using a mic is the way to go anyways--it's obvious to see that miclessness is a handicap when you find yourself unable to say "hey I'm gonna throw a grenade down that hallway, can you cover me for a sec?"

As soon as mic-required servers are a thing, that's where I'm going to go play.

What's wrong with doing that? This is the norm in PR.

Thats cool bro, but until then how about helping out instead of chasing them away?

Jesus tapdancing Christ! How many times must it be said that this isn't PR?

This discussion went over the pros and cons of micless players in PR. PR and SQUAD while being so similar are vastly different. One simply has to point out how much more effective the UI is in SQUAD to know that even players without mics can fill roles quite easily.

One thing about having no mic is it simulates a squad member who lost his hearing in battle by someone shooting too close to his head or a RPG hit too close making his ear ring so bad he cant hear....then communication is by hand gestures or tapping on shoulders. Though this is a stretch any alternative communication system will be programmed into game.