Sign in to follow this  
XRobinson

Commander only controlled spawn points

What might be interesting spawn mode would be if (Only) a commander could set RP's around the map or even FOB's because the strategy of the commander would be somewhat enforced...SL's could recomend placements of these R Points and FOBs but its up to commander to decide where thay are put down and why. This way a commander position has value and SL will have less decisions to make about overall strategy of where and why to set RPs and FOBs. The SL could worry about his squad more and what they are doing rather than creating spawn worm holes. This is just an idea this thread started me thinking about.

Of course a commander would have other abilities giving him insight to place the RPs and FOBs that SLs dont have such as drone recon of enemy movements or recon scout intelligence given to him partially incomplete so he doesnt have all enemy whereabouts but enough to get an idea of what enemy might be doing or planning based on movement covered by radar like in old BF or by squads on ground or computer telling him armor possible locations and aircraft spottings. Also commander could destroy and move the RPs and FOBs after every 5 minutes or some other time period set by server admin. Or he has to tell a squad to deconstruct a FOB with shovels.

Something to be considered maybe as some mode to try out and tweak. :)

I posted this on other thread but think it deserves its own.

Do not know status of commander role, but if there is to be one shouldnt he have power to set RPs and FOB placements? To control strategy of battles for objectives?

No thanks, maybe for the FOBs, or granting resources/logistical assets for certain FOBs (wont matter if the commander can give orders to units), but it'll take away from the independent Squad Lead's assets.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong.

I think the idea is not so bad, if u have a good commander. But what happens when the commander is a complete idiot without any tactical skill?

I think the idea is not so bad, if u have a good commander. But what happens when the commander is a complete idiot without any tactical skill?

There is probably a number of ways to deal with commander not doing job: vote replace, vote kick, vote play without commander which opens the RP and FOBs back up to SLs again, ect. However there is a distinction between having a losing commander who did his job and a complete novice who was learning the ropes of command and those shouldnt be confused with idiot commander.

If your team loses the commander should take some blame but not all. This type of mode could also be just an option to play and voted on by players who want to play with a commander.

There is probably a number of ways to deal with commander not doing job: vote replace, vote kick, vote play without commander which opens the RP and FOBs back up to SLs again, ect. However there is a distinction between having a losing commander who did his job and a complete novice who was learning the ropes of command and those shouldnt be confused with idiot commander.

If your team loses the commander should take some blame but not all. This type of mode could also be just an option to play and voted on by players who want to play with a commander.

Sure, something you can toggle on or off, I like the voting too. +1

EDIT:

I'm with LugNut below.

It's an interesting idea, I like the concept of the commander being responsible for the meta game and having access to more info than the sl's. I think having the commander marking a fob zone and then relying on the sl's to actually place it in an appropriate spot would be better than placing it via the map.

I'd leave RP's to the sl's.

Let the commander get Intel via feedback from the sl's, I don't like the idea of him seeing enemies on the map, even temporarily.

Hi,

Perhaps all above should be optional?

So when the player log onto the server program, before joining any specific battle-server, a list of both general and sub-options, can be clicked On or Off by the player:

Prefer to play with

On/Off - Commander

On/Off - Deployable assets

On/Off - Squad Leaders

On/Off - Vehicles

On/Off - 100% ammunition

On/Off - 50% ammunition

On/Off - Optical

If the player press On to play with Commander, a sub-menu appears with more detailed options.

Prefer to play with

On/Off - Commander can deploy FOBs and Rally Points

On/Off - Commander can deploy FOBs

On/Off - Commander can deploy Rally Points

On/Off - Commander can not deploy asset

***same goes for any of the other general options

Prefer to play with

On/Off - Deployable assets

On/Off - Maximum building points

On/Off - Medium building points

On/Off - Minimum building points

On/Off - Capturing a flag increase building points