HESKY

Bearing/Compass Mathematical Issue

Hey, 

I now have 12 hours on the game, over a span of 2 days. I have noticed 1 minor issue in the compass at the bottom of your HUD. Bearings with 2 digits for example, North 30, North East 75 etc, should be stated as 030, 075. This is just some minor tweak for army personel who get annoyed with this. Great game. Best simulator ever played. Better than Arma in my opinion. Keep it up with accepting feedback :D

bullet drop is already implemented i believe :)

yea i think so too. but u agree with the compass thing?

Hey, 

I now have 12 hours on the game, over a span of 2 days. I have noticed 1 minor issue in the compass at the bottom of your HUD. Bearings with 2 digits for example, North 30, North East 75 etc, should be stated as 030, 075. This is just some minor tweak for army personel who get annoyed with this. Great game. Best simulator ever played. Better than Arma in my opinion. Keep it up with accepting feedback :D

I don't see a problem here, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the way it looks now.

I don't see a problem here, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the way it looks now.

I mean it is wrong mathematically. Like you don't put 5 man squad in a game and have 4 people in it. Look it up. And the proper way for calling 2 digit degree bearings : for bearing 30(in current squad) a.k.a. bearing 030 IRL,  is   bearing zero three zero Spotted.

I fully support this suggestion. From what I know in aeronautics, it's always a three-digit-number to avoid misunderstandings.

For example especiallay in noisy situations if someone says thirty (30), I always think I could have missed the first part and it could have been one-thirty, two-thirty or three-thirty. If you say zero-three-zero it is rather clear.

For hardcore-sim guys: I don't know how it is in the military, but in aeronautics three is pronounced like tree and instead of nine they say niner. :D

I don't think this notation has anything to do with mathematics, and it is not "mathematically" flawed. It's just notation. Perhaps a notation that isn't handy or isn't the same one used in military situations, that's possible. But the numbers don't change, it's just a matter of notation. If you buy a compass in a shop, it will show "30", "70", "210" etcetera. It won't show "010" and so on.

dt-420_l.jpg

The numbers reflect degrees in a full 360-degree-circle. 30 degrees is absolutely mathematically legit. The "0" in front of 030 degrees is mathematically redundant. There can be said to be infinitely many zeroes in front of it, but they don't change the number so they're removed. Same goes for zeroes behind decimals (i.e. 1.3 is the same number as 1.300000000000000000000000000, except the latter may have significance in scientific notation as it might tell something about the uncertainty of the measurement).

All in all: I think current notation is fine as it is conform regular compasses. However, if bearings are often called out with an extra zero in military settings, it may be a consideration to add a 0 in front.

I fully support this suggestion. From what I know in aeronautics, it's always a three-digit-number to avoid misunderstandings.

For example especiallay in noisy situations if someone says thirty (30), I always think I could have missed the first part and it could have been one-thirty, two-thirty or three-thirty. If you say zero-three-zero it is rather clear.

For hardcore-sim guys: I don't know how it is in the military, but in aeronautics three is pronounced like tree and instead of nine they say niner. :D

I don't think this notation has anything to do with mathematics, and it is not "mathematically" flawed. It's just notation. Perhaps a notation that isn't handy or isn't the same one used in military situations, that's possible. But the numbers don't change, it's just a matter of notation. If you buy a compass in a shop, it will show "30", "70", "210" etcetera. It won't show "010" and so on.

dt-420_l.jpg

The numbers reflect degrees in a full 360-degree-circle. 30 degrees is absolutely mathematically legit. The "0" in front of 030 degrees is mathematically redundant. There can be said to be infinitely many zeroes in front of it, but they don't change the number so they're removed. Same goes for zeroes behind decimals (i.e. 1.3 is the same number as 1.300000000000000000000000000, except the latter may have significance in scientific notation as it might tell something about the uncertainty of the measurement).

All in all: I think current notation is fine as it is conform regular compasses. However, if bearings are often called out with an extra zero in military settings, it may be a consideration to add a 0 in front.

Yea and since this is military simulation and the compass thingy is not an actual physical compass ingame, it should be noted as bearing. And bearings are NOT degrees. They are LIKE degrees but different. Bearings are denoted by looking at the north and going clockwise starting from 001 to 360. I fully support this change as it is bearing. Not compass. :D well we do use bearing in the army. We would not say 30 degrees xP