Sign in to follow this  
Mongol

GPU Temperature going above and beyond (97°C) when enabling Post Processing

Hello everyone, I have gotten the game maybe about a week ago and first off I loaded into the Firing Range. After enjoying myself and tweaking around with my graphic options, it began to smell a little bit funny, I started up SpeedFan and saw my GPU at 97°C! Shortly after I closed Squad, let my system cool off, shut it down to check if there was dust in the Fans and what not and even checked if the Fans were running in the first place.

I then tweaked around with graphic options some more and I came to notice that the reason for this temperature increase is Post Processing. My GPU runs it well at  ~83°C until I turn Post Processing even to just medium, it jumps to 90°C. I did not feel comfortable going above High where it hit 92°C and I just closed the game in fear of the VRAM just exploding.

All that while the game runs like a dream at 80FPS. Is there any Hotfix to this?

My Specs :

R9 280X 3GB ( Sapphire Toxic version )

i5-6600k ( overclocked )

16gb DDR4

A good airflow inside my PC, I could keep Brownies warm at the back exit!

I use MSI afterburner, Fanspeed is at 100% when it goes above 77°C. GPU Usage is at 99% Max.

Are you running stock clock speeds?

*Edit* You could always try undervolting and/or improving the airflow in your case.

AMD are known for their frying pans of death.

That must be the reason for so many AMD users complaining that their GPUs are overheating. ;)

Are you running stock clock speeds?

*Edit* You could always try undervolting and/or improving the airflow in your case.

The card itself is factory overclocked and built to sustain very high load, but I have never seen something like this before.

That must be the reason for so many AMD users complaining that their GPUs are overheating. ;)

The card itself is factory overclocked and built to sustain very high load, but I have never seen something like this before.

So is mine and I've overclocked it more and I never hit 70 C. Either theres shit in your fans, your case has poor airflow or your card is just defective and you should RMA it

Make sure that your tower is big enough to have a proper circulation with the fans and airflow or it will choke.

that's weird to hear that about AMD GPU's...... I have 2x r9-290X crossfire XFX brand and first thing I did when I got them I did a stress test on them, both cards 100% load never passed 65C.... I do however had modified the HAF 932 so it can have extra fans, all in total 9 fans and XFX is known for making bad ass aftermarket GPU coolers.

I have a R9 390 and got exactly the same problem. It reaches around 85-88C during first 15 minutes in the Firing Range map only. It also happened once in the OP First Light map in a specific spot. In other games it hardly reaches 80C after a good few hours of play time.

Same here . I have R9 290x with nzxt kraken + h75 water cooling. It reaches 90C after one hour play. My post processing setting is epic.

Regards

Guest Guest

What Driver are you using with your AMD GPU there was one around 1 month ago that had a FAN bug resulting in wrong FAN speed maps and finaly to overheating GPU.

i think 15.11 crimson was the faulty one.

If its not the driver you can tweak your FAN profil manualy to higher rpm  as allready postet.

Guest Guest

290x here @ 1200 MHz core + 100 MV and 1500 MHz mem , watercooled max 49°C core and 50 ° vrm's so its clearly a cooling issue , adapt your fan profil

Air cooled Corsair 600T case + HIS R9 280X OC and GPU reaches max 66°C after hours of Squad (even at Epic settings). Fan controled by Speedfan and @ 66°C GPU fans are @ 50%.

Squad is the game making my GPU most hot, Crysis 3 or BF3 or Skyrim with MANY HEAVY graphic mods wont go over 65°C... If it can help you to compare.

That said I saw some other guys complaining about temps in ingame chat. Are you sure your gfx card is still healthy ?

OP, can you tell me on what settings you play and what FPS you get?

I never tried to play a real match, all I got into was just Firing Range. There I get around 80FPS with max settings, except you know, Post Proccessing. But even with it on high it was on 75 I think.

What Driver are you using with your AMD GPU there was one around 1 month ago that had a FAN bug resulting in wrong FAN speed maps and finaly to overheating GPU.

i think 15.11 crimson was the faulty one.

If its not the driver you can tweak your FAN profil manualy to higher rpm  as allready postet.

I am using the most recent one ( 15.12 ) all three fans are spinning, I have heard about the issues and I instantly went to see if there is something wrong. which there isn't. :(

Makes me sad that I kinda wished for something to be wrong here.

Neither the driver nor FAN profile have anything to do with GPU overheating in Firing Range map...

Hey mastah

What is the problem then ?

I have a mate joining squad this month, he will be using a strix 3 fan 390 card.

I am using the most recent one ( 15.12 ) all three fans are spinning, I have heard about the issues and I instantly went to see if there is something wrong. which there isn't. :(

Makes me sad that I kinda wished for something to be wrong here.

I'm pretty sure its not the problem, but try reverting to the last stable version before Crimson...?

I tried Crimson with Squad (no problems) but reverted to previous version, waiting for it to be fully functional.

Hey mastah

What is the problem then ?

I have a mate joining squad this month, he will be using a strix 3 fan 390 card.

I really don't have a clue. It happens only in Firing Range. Seems like this map is very sensitive to overclocks. The GPU was designed to run at 90C max. What i do is simply avoid spending too much time in Firing Range. R9 390 is a great card. I run Rainbow Six Siege with 4k textures + x2 MSAA maintaining stable 60 fps all the time at 1080p. The card overclocks easily to R9 390X stock speeds. After the newest hotfixes Squad keeps stable 60fps 90% of the time with shadows off. (Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4Ghz). Only on Fools Road and Chora im getting fps drop to 52-58fps rarely.

EDIT: I've just run some tests from (starting from 30C) my R9 390 reached 84C after 30 minutes in Firing Range. During normal gameplay with 60, 72 player server, the card reaches 78 C max.

check the thermal grease on the CPU.

Otherwise invest in a liquid cooling system. They sell closed units, and they do work well. Don't buy too cheap and don't buy to expensive. You also need to keep those clean all the time too.

stock coolers suck, just saying.

check the thermal grease on the CPU.

Otherwise invest in a liquid cooling system. They sell closed units, and they do work well. Don't buy too cheap and don't buy to expensive. You also need to keep those clean all the time too.

stock coolers suck, just saying.

I think in this topic , problem is overheating on GPU is not cpu..