Sign in to follow this  
Rayyaan

Immersive Driving Experiences

What is Immersive Driving?

Immersive driving is probably the polar opposite of all FPS land based vehicle control. I'm not sure how to implement it fully but some examples have been suggested in other threads.

The idea is to enhance the experience of driving vehicles and make it much more interesting and also slightly more challenging

Immersive Driving Might Include:

Obviously some of these ideas have been suggested and I've tried to link them (where possible). However, I did add some original ideas into the mix and my suggestion is the actual concept of driving needing to be improved upon from PR. I'm not endorsing or saying all of the suggested implementation ideas are good. They're just ideas to hopefully inspire ideas or possibilities.

I would add also a API to export acceleration etc data for movement simulator contraptions ie. Stewart platform or reversed SP implementations. ..If you want somewhat realistic feel of driving.

It makes soo much difference if you have actual moving simulator, not just stationary bench which are too often called "simulators" or "rally bench", yeah sure.

Anyhow thanks for the listing, it is handy to once again read through these topics which starts to sink in the mud. :)

I very much hope that Squad pays as much attention to it's vehicles and vehicle combat as it does to the infantry side. Many of theses suggestions are worth adding, especially an in-vehicle channel to talk to your driver to avoid the problems of hearing local mumble over the engine noises and the ability to turn engines off without leaving the vehicle.

I agree with most of these points, even though I don't think all of them would be necessary, for me the most important part of the immersion comes from the vehicles behaviour. A lot of games lately dissapoint me with how the vehicles handle, if I drive a truck I want it to feel like a truck, I wan't to feel like a big fat slow target. As long as this effect is in, along with some of your other points such as engine on / off and mirrors i'll be fine.

I wouldn't mind manual gear changing only, I for one am not afraid of learning. However many people do not wish to learn how to control a vehicle. Therefore, I think it should be a server side option. Casual servers could have it automatic for their liking.

Agree with most of these!

Like i said in that other thread; giving the player more stuff to manage and cope with is a good way to make the transport and logistic tasks more interesting and attractive.
So that operating a vehicle would be more than just pressing down the gas pedal and lifting it up in the destination.

Like i said in that other thread; giving the player more stuff to manage and cope with is a good way to make the transport and logistic tasks more interesting and attractive.

So that operating a vehicle would be more than just pressing down the gas pedal and lifting it up in the destination.

I hadn't actually considered that until you mentioned it. That's a very good point! Some people may shy away from certain logistics roles because of the bare simplicity of it but making driving a more in-depth job will make not only Logi truck drivers and HMMVW driving more interesting but that can extend all the way up to tanks and APC drivers having a more interesting time of it.

The "progression" system of modern PR is more just that it takes time to master something but it's easy to start with. Gunning an APC is not difficult per se but mastering it by learning how to use terrain and buildings to still get the HE shells in to kill infantry and knowing where to hit other vehicles. Driving on the other hand is easy but to "master" it is simply to have an understanding of where your armoured vehicle is most advantageous to be on the battlefield, little to do with the actual act of driving. Add in some of these systems, like a manual transmission, and the technical act of driving is something that then feels more fleshed out. A very interesting take on it and perhaps a line-of-thought the devs shouldn't ignore.

How about some headlights and vehicle lighting in general? Seeing some light(red?) peak through when opening the rear door of an APC would be killer. 

I like the input and I tend to agree on most of the points here, I'll bring it up to the devs.

• 'Shot Detection' Sensor for vehicles that have it IRL (system gives audio cue to compass bearing, device exists IRL...not sure if it is used much or deployed. Probably used to feed intel to machine gunnners or disembarked troops)

This would be BADASS! Imagine being a turret gunner, and after being shot from distance an suddenly the voice from the detection system says "700meter, north-west". (no sarcasm here)

• Vehicle Driver VOIP Channel (friendly team only)

Like this?

I would love to see terrain deformation, vehicle traps and blocks. It would be great to be able to have explosive spc's clear road's traps (if found) or needing to find alternate routes if a road was blown out by artillery. Which also leads to bridges... destructible bridges (if any were in a map) would make things interesting

Also would make me think you would need an engineer to clear "Traps" maybe... I dunno this becomes a long tangent of ideas and class possibilities...

IronTaxi said that implementing terrain deformation for multiplayer is basically like opening a pandoras box (technical-wise).

hah carmikaze, yeah I bet it is. Then you have to implement things like Voxel mapping or have set points of destruction and that gets annoying and personally I have no idea how hard it is to use tech like that. I would love to see it, but totally understand the complexity a feature like that adds and it may not be worth the effort since it's not a game breaking feature if it weren't included. It would be nice to see and just opens up a lot of possibilities for traps and ambushes and other interesting scenario's that would be unique though.

I just imagine setting up an ambush along a road with your squad knowing that a convoy is coming through. You have your trap\explosives set waiting for the lead vehicle to role over your trap then BAM lead vehicle is disabled briefly stopping the convoy opening up fire from all directions and mayhem ensues... Tis just a dream though...

I just imagine setting up an ambush along a road with your squad knowing that a convoy is coming through. You have your trap\explosives set waiting for the lead vehicle to role over your trap then BAM lead vehicle is disabled briefly stopping the convoy opening up fire from all directions and mayhem ensues... Tis just a dream though...

Why does it have to be a dream? ;)

This ain't no BF4 BS, we got some cool stuff comin' down the pipe.

IronTaxi said that implementing terrain deformation for multiplayer is basically like opening a pandoras box (technical-wise).

Indeed he did on the subject of foxholes!...

Why does it have to be a dream? ;)

This ain't no BF4 BS, we got some cool stuff comin' down the pipe.

Hahaha I like it SgtRoss straight to the point no BS lol!!... ;)

Indeed he did on the subject of foxholes!...

I think as he said terrain deformation he referred to ANY kind of deformation, let it be foxholes or holes from explosions, plus I don't see how explosion-craters would be less hard to implement than foxholes (if you're implying that).

Posted idea on foxhole thread to maybe implement terrain deformation through

Use of grid system.....small changes to areas of grid can be changed on the fly

I think....then reintegrated into a shared mapping update while playing...

Its just an idea not a working prototype....

How about using the deterministic (i think that's how it's called) approach? The idea is that the same action taken on the same terrain data at the same position with the same parameters SHOULD yield the same result. On that premise, the server sends this actions to the clients whenever they occur. The downside is the server needs to cache these and send them to new clients.

Specifically, client 1 sends his tank fire commad to server (assuming authoritative :) ). Server determines shell hit ground at 2000, 50, 1234 (x, y, z). The server then sends to all clients "t72 shell explosion at 2000, 50, 1234".

Hmm, i might give it a shot in unity...

How about using the deterministic (i think that's how it's called) approach? The idea is that the same action taken on the same terrain data at the same position with the same parameters SHOULD yield the same result. On that premise, the server sends this actions to the clients whenever they occur. The downside is the server needs to cache these and send them to new clients.

Specifically, client 1 sends his tank fire commad to server (assuming authoritative  :) ). Server determines shell hit ground at 2000, 50, 1234 (x, y, z). The server then sends to all clients "t72 shell explosion at 2000, 50, 1234".

Hmm, i might give it a shot in unity...

Too much work for too less gain gameplaywise. It was cool on small Battlefield: Bad Company maps (primarily eyecandy though), but I don't see how blowing up a road in Squad would prevent anyone from just driving around it, considering how huge the scale of the maps will be. It will just f*** up our pings.

I like it. Sounds like a lot of fun to learn - and get blamed when crashing a truck in the middle of nowhere for no reason. :)

Keep throwing stuff out there, need more input! FEED ME!

ALL THE IDEAS RIGHT NOW! AYE AYE, SERGEANT SOME SHIT!

Please no. This is scratching to much the simulator part and the fun factor is limited.

Jump out, engine off.

Jump out, engine off, parking brake set. BF2: PR has this but its kinda buggy.

• Exterior Mirrors or Camera views (JACKAL can be mounted with FLIR, I'm not talking about 3p view)

Arma 3 has this and if I'm not mistaken is very GPU intensive.

• Lock vehicle/Restrict Vehicle to squad/personnel(with automatic unlock time of 10 or 15 minutes - so team can still use vehicle if vehicle is abandoned or squad disconnects)

Please NO!! Some times you just need to steal a vehicle for the greater good, eg: In BF2: PR already happened refusing to give me a logistic truck to repair a tracked APC luckily I can just steal the truck, repair the APC and return it later. 

• Vehicle sensors for parking/proximity

Again we're entering simulator features, although not having impact in-game is just wasting Devs time.

• Passenger Injuries from SOME crashes

God NO! I really don't want to get injured just because some player crashed against my truck. Its not fun and gives to much freedom to trolls.

The rest of the suggestions were ok.

Jump out, engine off.

Jump out, engine off, parking brake set.

Sometimes you just wan't to cut the sound without exposing yourself or limiting reactivity. Jumping out of the vehicle to turn off the engine is kind of not a solution then. Same goes for braking. You just want to stop the vehicle, not expose yourself, or limit reactivity.

Please NO!! Some times you just need to steal a vehicle for the greater good, eg: In BF2: PR already happened refusing to give me a logistic truck to repair a tracked APC luckily I can just steal the truck, repair the APC and return it later.

Not having asset locking because you thought of a single example that has plenty of other solution, isn't really an argument against all the common and numerous issues related to not having asset locking.