ValiantViper

How is the cheating?

44 posts in this topic

It really isn't a big deal, I have well over 600 hours in game now from the early days etc.

Nice thread necro, TraXx. Cheating was around a lot in the early days, especially the very blatant kind (machinegun-rate grenade launcher spam, most notably). The long period of having anticheat (EAC) and their persistent ban waves have MASSIVELY reduced cheating. Those who do get through usually don't last very long.

Some ini tweaking is still going on. If you want to make the game better in that regard, submit 'exploitable' .ini tweaks to the QA members, and they will test them and pass them on to the devs for fixing.

I have over 1700 hours in this game, and cheating has never been less of a problem than it is now. :-)

Cheating has become an incredibly lucrative industry, being more complex in application and sometimes customized to bypass security measures as far as privacy concerns go.

EAC is a joke and only Battleye is the most effective anti-cheat. Developers, I'd recommend switching to Battleye. Games with EAC, for example Rust compared to Batteleye, say ARK, the impact was very clear. Games like CSGO are corrupted even sometimes to the highest level from match fixing gambling, drug performance enhancing, even high profile players were caught by ESEA, yet it's still prevalent due to apathy.

Certainly measures exist but when you're dealing beyond ring0 into increasingly sophistacted measures, a game like Squad that aspires to be relevant to a certain degree in the competitive scene, with some level of difficulty involved in the game in itself only deserves the best which is Battleye.

Battleye is instantaneous where EAC is more onhands in terms of the half-life of play and even now, as an early access game, issues of stability from EAC sometimes affect the game when conversely complex heavy games just like ARK can handle the load, but EAC is not fool proof within 5 minutes logging in a server where Battleye is instantaneous. I understand measures of spectating are implemented and on access memory measures are lauded by EAC, yet EAC is very much filled with loopholes in terms of ironclad protection in this day an age and perhaps that time-frame as a gamble doesn't matter to players who keep purchasing new copies boosting revenue in an unethical way to the detriment of other players, although EAC does permanently ban after several instances.

I'm just writing to devs because many games became a pure joke because of hacking and this isn't even due to game population or cost, it's all about credibility.

The level of cheating is very sophisticated. You may conduct a comparison test of for example Rust versus ARK with a third party tester and you'll see that Battleye is the best anticheat available since early 2016 when they stomped in ARK, you can see many success stories from H1Z1's community cleaned up as a result. Rust in the meantime, even as a different game focused more on pvp, just faltered so much.

I just want you to garner feedback and don't be biased or hardcode anything from EAC which by the way may have caused those infamous crashes (the memory errors perhaps), in the meantime switching to Battleye will make Squad a much more credible and valuable game to invest yourself on because those loopholes will always be present on EAC, from 30 minutes to a week.

Many new people might say that cheating is out of control, but this is definitely not the case. I have played around 200 hours and I haven't seen a blatant cheater in the last 3 months.

The reason why many people might think that cheating is out of control, is that it is very hard to spot enemies when you aren't used to it (camo works in this game). So for most new players the first 10-20 hours in game feels other people have cheats (you keep being killed by players you can't see). 

True that there probably are people with esp that are hiding it very well. But honestly every time I have experienced that me and my team are being slaughtered, it is because of stacked teams and not cheats. It happens just as often that you slaughter the other team.

I play Squad since it was released in December 2015, so that's even pre-EAC and I've seen it all.

The fact of the matter is that many cheats are still being sold today with obviously a leeway of ban time frame whet games, more specifically servers with Battleye have close to a 100% success rate as soon as the cheater logs in a server.

Some of the most talented coders still don't have any response to Battleye to this day and this is one year and counting, when EAC is still seen as exploitable within that community, but improving.

In Rust for instance, and likely in Squad as well thru logging, tracers or logs where players are shot can be indicative of aimbots, ESP players are very crafty and it sometimes goes as far as displaying the ESP even on a cellphone on another device, videos and proof exist online and I'm not making anything up.

I'll agree that the game is relatively much more cleaner but I'll argue the fact that it's completely secure (which would be less than a minute before detection to discourage repetition), because you're looking at zero tolerance to discourage that russian roulette of being caught, as cheating is some form of addictive adrenaline high and rush where cost doesn't matter to players, not even raging or being perceived as a better player, just that innate feel of superiority.

4 hours ago, lbdv said:

...as cheating is some form of addictive adrenaline high and rush where cost doesn't matter to players, not even raging or being perceived as a better player, just that innate feel of superiority.

That's actually a great description.

But is it even possible and realistic for the developers to suddenly switch to BattleEye? As you can see the perception is that there are very few cheaters in the game, which is probably true even if EAC is easier to get around than BE (but still requires a lot of know how, unlike VAC). So why should they switch at all? The only downsides of EAC in Squad atm are the tech errors people keep getting from EAC and their team seemingly not caring as much about Squad (SuN removed support for Rust months ago because EAC team constantly put the effort in and got them banned, but Squad cheat is still for sale and only people to get banned are those that go blatant and get reported by admins or those that abuse features).

8 minutes ago, banOkay said:

That's actually a great description.

But is it even possible and realistic for the developers to suddenly switch to BattleEye? As you can see the perception is that there are very few cheaters in the game, which is probably true even if EAC is easier to get around than BE (but still requires a lot of know how, unlike VAC). So why should they switch at all? The only downsides of EAC in Squad atm are the tech errors people keep getting from EAC and their team seemingly not caring as much about Squad (SuN removed support for Rust months ago because EAC team constantly put the effort in and got them banned, but Squad cheat is still for sale and only people to get banned are those that go blatant and get reported by admins or those that abuse features).

There will always be cheats for sale @banOkay in any online game like this. You would be surprised at how quickly those new cheats become obsolete though. Until the next version. The programmers that develop these cheats even know they will be caught and fixed so that it will not work any longer. They sell them, make a few bucks, change something and push out a "newer version." As far as EAC not caring about Squad this is not true. We have worked closely with these guys every day and they do indeed care about how their product affects the game. They are constantly evolving their software in parallel to ours. We run into issues all the time though with various AV softwares, steam, or even conflicts within our game and EAC. Bumps in the road are bound to happen, but we are also learning and getting better at diagnosing and solving issues as time and production moves along. 

While EAC does not catch 100% of the cheaters right away, they are constantly evolving and catching more than most of you realize I think. No system is perfect, but all we can do is constantly evolve and change and try to stay on top of the changes happening elsewhere in other systems that we are interfacing with all the time. 

On 1/11/2016 at 5:57 AM, Karm said:

I've encountered quite a few, about 10-12 in my total of 160 hours

wow, must be a regional issue.

1 hour ago, chaz69 said:

wow, must be a regional issue.

Keep in mind, he posted that a year ago when this was a common problem.

4 hours ago, Odin said:

There will always be cheats for sale @banOkay in any online game like this. You would be surprised at how quickly those new cheats become obsolete though. Until the next version. The programmers that develop these cheats even know they will be caught and fixed so that it will not work any longer. They sell them, make a few bucks, change something and push out a "newer version." As far as EAC not caring about Squad this is not true. We have worked closely with these guys every day and they do indeed care about how their product affects the game. They are constantly evolving their software in parallel to ours. We run into issues all the time though with various AV softwares, steam, or even conflicts within our game and EAC. Bumps in the road are bound to happen, but we are also learning and getting better at diagnosing and solving issues as time and production moves along. 

While EAC does not catch 100% of the cheaters right away, they are constantly evolving and catching more than most of you realize I think. No system is perfect, but all we can do is constantly evolve and change and try to stay on top of the changes happening elsewhere in other systems that we are interfacing with all the time. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this thread, Odin.

By chance, is first-person spectate, something that is being considered or on any lists for implementation at some point?

Just now, TraXx said:

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this thread, Odin.

By chance, is first-person spectate, something that is being considered or on any lists for implementation at some point?

It has been discussed. No definitive plans as of yet. But the admin tools and admin cam will get some love at some point in a later pass. Features are ever-evolving. Stay tuned for more info on new upcoming features in the future.

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

It has been discussed. No definitive plans as of yet or even confirmation that it will be implemented. But the admin tools and admin cam will get some love at some point in a later pass. Features are ever-evolving. Stay tuned for more info on new upcoming features in the future.

That's wonderful news -- I look forward to it!

V4/5 had a fair share of hackers, but they were blatantly obvious and would get banned by an admin asap. Since then, I have not encountered one hacker. 1500Hrs. Something is obviously working.

4 hours ago, Catindabox said:

he posted that a year ago

ive got the dumb. lol

I've only had the pleasure of meeting 3 since v3.

Haven't seen any confirmed instances of cheating, such as aimbots or wall hacks, yet.

Although people playing with custom config files so prevent most bushes, all grass, etc. from rendering so they can shoot you through a mile of forest is fairly common, but that's the case with all these types of games. Apparently a few patches ago it was improved slightly but people playing with minimum settings will always have an advantage over those who aren't.

4 hours ago, Kerri said:

Although people playing with custom config files so prevent most bushes, all grass, etc. from rendering so they can shoot you through a mile of forest is fairly common, but that's the case with all these types of games. Apparently a few patches ago it was improved slightly but people playing with minimum settings will always have an advantage over those who aren't.

Pretty sure the devs disabled the ability to do that several versions ago. 

In 80 hours of playing on public servers, I have encountered 2 games with "problem players". One was with 2 players trying to frame people as team killing. Just ignored them and the squad did a little social pressure and the problem mostly resolved itself afterwards.

The second case was for like 2 minutes at the beginning of the round where we had 1 player team kill their entire 9 man squad . My squad was like 30 seconds behind in another a transport truck and we rushed in, killed the team killer (and got a admin to kick him out quickly), and revived our fallen teammates.

On 1/16/2016 at 9:29 AM, Sidney said:

EAC is a shitty anti-cheat. Games like RoK were infested with cheaters, under EAC's protection.

You guys claim this game is unprotected but I have only encountered 1 cheater in my 80 hours.

That's utter nonsense. RoK was already pretty much destroyed by cheaters BEFORE they implemented EAC, and then when they finally did the amount of cheaters plummeted and I just spent some time playing it the other week and didn't see any cheaters anymore.

EAC isn't some magic shield that totally destroys cheats, part of it is being a competent programmer who doesn't create an extremely vulnerable game. Codehatch proves time and time again that they are not competent.

On 1/11/2016 at 0:42 PM, ValiantViper said:

Was thinking about getting this game but i heard about cheaters and i know how it goes with these types of games, devs gonna add any anti cheat? 

It would be nice if they can add Battleye (http://www.battleye.com/) which i think is the best out there and does the job very well, but ill like to hear what a dev has to say about the cheaters/antihack if they see this.

In my 190 h i only saw one cheater i think, back in 2015 , after that i didn't really see any or i simply didn't notice. Although going in to a public arma 3 server (which is a cancer thing to do and no one should do it ever) i could find cheaters in nearly every server even to this day, so IMO battleye is not the best .