I have an idea for a new faction, in a sense; I say in a sense because it's not really a new faction but a new time setting. I'd love to see the United States Army or United States Marine Corps represented in 2003 or 2004.

Squad features the United States Army of like 2017 (judging by the frequency of M4A1s and all those damned Ops-Cores among other things). That or poor authenticity. Most games out there featuring the armed forces of the United States feature them in a modern capacity, and generally speaking the early war era is totally left out. Damn it, I'd love to see some PASGT gear, some M16A2s, some three-desert camouflage, and that weird combination of three-desert combat fatigues and woodland flak vest. I can see this being a mod, but I'm just throwing it out there.

This + Fallujah West remastered = HOLYSHITYES

Feedback? Sounds good or meh?

To start off: it's not that I don't enjoy your idea, it's just that I don't think it's necessarily something I want to see prioritized at the moment. However, your analysis of the content of the US Army in game is a bit off. It's been stated to death that the current skins for the US Army are only place holders quite a few times. The "M4A1s" and "Ops-Cores" are actually not all that uncommon, as there are already a ton of M4A1s in service as well as a bunch of Ops-Core helmets. However, the helmet in the game is actually the Crye Airframe, which I don't believe is cleared attire for anyone other than SF units (I know the Ops-Core is cleared to be worn by soldiers in the Air Force as well as all the Rangers wear them, though the US Army is a far cry from the USAF and the Rangers are only a small subsection of the Army.)  It's not really poor authenticity, it's just authentic in the last 5 years or so rather than anything else. None of this stuff is new to use, it's just not what you want to see in the game.

The early war era is often left out because it doesn't add very much variety. All you get is an incredibly rag-tag looking fighting force with very low quality weapons that have few attachments. However, if you want to see PASGTs and M16s, you really could get a similar enough feel with a modern USMC faction (sans the woodland/3 color desert uniform mixture) as you could always use the M16A4 with a carry handle and the Marines do still use the LWH (which is really just the PASGT with a different harness/padding/etc.)

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea, but the problem I see is that this is just another faction want people added. Everyone wants a different faction added and honestly to me (and I'm sure a lot of others) this is low on the totem poll in comparison to something like the French, the British, the Germans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Israelis, and so on and so forth.

To start off: it's not that I don't enjoy your idea, it's just that I don't think it's necessarily something I want to see prioritized at the moment. However, your analysis of the content of the US Army in game is a bit off. It's been stated to death that the current skins for the US Army are only place holders quite a few times. The "M4A1s" and "Ops-Cores" are actually not all that uncommon, as there are already a ton of M4A1s in service as well as a bunch of Ops-Core helmets. However, the helmet in the game is actually the Crye Airframe, which I don't believe is cleared attire for anyone other than SF units (I know the Ops-Core is cleared to be worn by soldiers in the Air Force as well as all the Rangers wear them, though the US Army is a far cry from the USAF and the Rangers are only a small subsection of the Army.)  It's not really poor authenticity, it's just authentic in the last 5 years or so rather than anything else. None of this stuff is new to use, it's just not what you want to see in the game.

The early war era is often left out because it doesn't add very much variety. All you get is an incredibly rag-tag looking fighting force with very low quality weapons that have few attachments. However, if you want to see PASGTs and M16s, you really could get a similar enough feel with a modern USMC faction (sans the woodland/3 color desert uniform mixture) as you could always use the M16A4 with a carry handle and the Marines do still use the LWH (which is really just the PASGT with a different harness/padding/etc.)

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea, but the problem I see is that this is just another faction want people added. Everyone wants a different faction added and honestly to me (and I'm sure a lot of others) this is low on the totem poll in comparison to something like the French, the British, the Germans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Israelis, and so on and so forth.

Of course, this is in no way something that the devs should prioritize. As I said, I can see this being a mod, whenever modding comes around; TBH I'd rather see the British armed forces or the IDF in Squad, don't worry :) Nonetheless, some 2003 era US troops would be a blast. Sure, they technically don't have as many attachments, but let's face it, there's no need for flashlights or laser designators in Squad, and many of the current US roles already use ironsights. There were ACOGs in 2003, so you'd really just be missing out on the Aimpoints. You have most of the same weapons, save for the M16A2 and I suppose the marksman rifles (M40A3 etc)... not what I'd call "very low quality". And I wouldn't be so sure about the USMC, because while yes they use LWHs, they've begun phasing out M16A4s and expect to have all active units equipped with M4s by late 2016 or 2017, I believe. What you say is a hundred percent correct, many army units have been equipped with M4A1s, though many still use M4s, and they weren't implemented until recently in Squad. Not sure why most US troops are using Crye Airframes (thanks for correction) when there need to be more ACHs. I say poor authenticity for other reasons as well, notably the use of the M1014 combat shotgun (used by the USMC, army uses the M590A1) and the M9A1. Among other things PR did authenticity really well, better than Squad has done so far, though authenticity for the insurgents in Squad has been great, better even than PR with the RPK-74s and whatnot. But nothing comes to mind in PR that isn't realistically authentic.

But anyway, 2003 era units are indeed probably better off as a mod (consider vehicles, the need for UH-60Ls, M2A2 Bradley's, unarmored HMMWV, etc). But man oh man would they be fun when we get some proper Iraq maps.

Thank you for a considerate response!

Of course, this is in no way something that the devs should prioritize. As I said, I can see this being a mod, whenever modding comes around; TBH I'd rather see the British armed forces or the IDF in Squad, don't worry :) Nonetheless, some 2003 era US troops would be a blast. Sure, they technically don't have as many attachments, but let's face it, there's no need for flashlights or laser designators in Squad, and many of the current US roles already use ironsights. There were ACOGs in 2003, so you'd really just be missing out on the Aimpoints. You have most of the same weapons, save for the M16A2 and I suppose the marksman rifles (M40A3 etc)... not what I'd call "very low quality". And I wouldn't be so sure about the USMC, because while yes they use LWHs, they've begun phasing out M16A4s and expect to have all active units equipped with M4s by late 2016 or 2017, I believe. What you say is a hundred percent correct, many army units have been equipped with M4A1s, though many still use M4s, and they weren't implemented until recently in Squad. Not sure why most US troops are using Crye Airframes (thanks for correction) when there need to be more ACHs. I say poor authenticity for other reasons as well, notably the use of the M1014 combat shotgun (used by the USMC, army uses the M590A1) and the M9A1. Among other things PR did authenticity really well, better than Squad has done so far, though authenticity for the insurgents in Squad has been great, better even than PR with the RPK-74s and whatnot. But nothing comes to mind in PR that isn't realistically authentic.

But anyway, 2003 era units are indeed probably better off as a mod (consider vehicles, the need for UH-60Ls, M2A2 Bradley's, unarmored HMMWV, etc). But man oh man would they be fun when we get some proper Iraq maps.

Thank you for a considerate response!

I could definitely see it being a mod and a fun one at that. 

While I agree with you that LAMs and lights aren't necessary (not that soldiers didn't tape maglights or use FSP light clamps in the early 2000s) but they're not even in game anyway currently so that'sa  bit of a null point. With the iron sights in mind, every class other than one or two has M68 CCOs on their weapon and most people prefer it to the irons in game as currently the carry handle sights for the AR are very poorly done. Of course ACOGs have also been there forever, but the issue rate for ACOGs back then from what it is now (I want to say the ACOG/M68 CCO rate in most units now is 60/40 whereas back then TA01NSNs were less of a standard optic.) Now, when I say low quality, I don't mean the weapons are crap, I mean that the weapons that both the Army and Marines went into Iraq with were rather dilapidated. Most of them were worn and had likely been used since the early 90s and they were definitely showing their age. 

Switching it up next, when we talk about the Marines switching to the M4A1, that'll be something that we'll have to wait and see if the devs implement (I think they said they plan on adding the Marines, right?) I'd hope they keep the M16A4 as it's a rather iconic weapon, but I guess I wouldn't be too angry to see Marines with M4A1s either. Now, I'm not sure about deployment statistics, but it wouldn't surprise me if any unit that has deployed for the last few years got M4A1s. Put it this way, the official US Army camo up until last year was ACU/UCP/whatever you want to call it, but for the last five years or so whenever you deployed you'd get all your gear swapped over to Multicam and you'd get all your fancy extra gear like PEQ-15s and, most recently, new ammunition in the form of M855A1. It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere along the way they also swapped out their M4s for M4A1s, but that's just an assumption.

When it comes to the Airframe, as I said it's a place holder. I think it's a sexy helmet but I'm not sure it's something that should be in game because of what it is. I think the Ops-Core FAST should definitely be a helmet as it's definitely a helmet soldiers are allowed to use, but I don't think the Airframe is something standard troops can wear for acquisitions reasons. However, I could be completely wrong on that issue as well. That being said, off topic a bit but I really hope when the devs finish their skins they choose to use Skorpion W2 rather than Crye Precision Multicam. Having seen the 173rd BCT in Ukraine wearing it I can say I much prefer it as a camouflage in comparison to Crye.

I agree that the M9A1 and the M1014 are both poor choices at the current rate because, yes, the Army uses the 590A1 and the M9 whereas the M1014 and M9A1 are USMC weapons, but like I said I do believe they're planning on implementing a USMC faction, and hopefully after doing that they'll make the proper weapons for the US Army. PR has a few things that aren't realistic, but they're really nitpicky things that have to be changed up a bit for gameplay sake (such as Russia having standard issue optics in the game and small things like that.)

The Corps is switching to the M4 for trigger pullers, but No real word yet on if that means A1 though. Only the army is moving to the A1. My guess is the Corps gets the 3 round burst M4 first. And they are not a confirmed faction yet sadly. The devs were originally going to replace the army with Marines, but decided not to because in terms of manpower it didn't make sense for them to devote that much effort to replacing the army. So right now Marines are on the wish list but not confirmed. Fallujah is confirmed, but the army fought in Fallujah too, so that doesn't necessarily mean Marines.