Samblues

How I have almost doubled my FPS

Hello,

So i spent a long time trying to figure out what settings cause me to gain the most fps by lowering them. Post processing from Epic to low caused me to go from 80fps to 140fps however the lighting and jagged edges were extremely annoying and affected my experience in-game (I am a very aesthetic games kinda guy :P ). 

So All you have to do is:

1) Navigate to Squad directory's BaseScalability.ini file (e.g C/Program files 86/steam/steamapps/common/squad/engine/config/basescalability.ini).

2) Open it, Control + F and paste this - [[email protected]] to locate it.

3) Replace values under [[email protected]] with these ones:

r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMaxQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.LensFlareQuality=2
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=1
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.BloomQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.TonemapperQuality=1
r.LightShaftQuality=1
r.Filter.SizeScale=1

4) Then get in-game and change your Post processing setting to Medium - VERY IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT MISS IT

5) Enjoy Higher FPS with little visual difference 

Any Questions or problems let me know  and let me know if you have found the same differences as i have (Or not) 

Full server I've had the drops also, could it be due to maybe server performance related?

But when not on a full server say 40/75 i still get fps boosts when doing this (not as high as the firing range fps tho) and i do have quite a 'good' system but when recording and streaming any fps helps for me. 

As said by devs - the animation system is what is killing performance on high population servers. I stick to 50-60 player servers and never join 72 player servers for this reason.

If you click the link I pasted above (was an edit so might not have seen it), you can see some different configs people tried and their effects.

Also you can see IronTaxi mentioning the animation system. I think once they have overhauled the animations we will all see a nice performance increase.

Also remember that you're editing configs that work now, but who knows what happens with updates in future. Best to backup your standard and modified files somewhere. If in doubt delete the files that have been messed with if causing issues and verify game files in Steam - if you run into issues.

There is also a similar thread for the effects part of the scalability stuff, you might want to find it and squeeze some more FPS?

i have an i5 2500 @ stock

zotac 960 gtx amp 4gb @ stock

16 gb ddr3 1600 cl9 @ stock

asus xonar dsx

win 10 x64 @ up to date nvidia drivers

improved my fps @ native res 1680x1050

from 35-45 avg 40 to 55-85 avg 60 with those tweaks

used other stuff posted in the global tweaking thread already

So far this is the only game that makes my GPU heat up to 90 Degrees Celcius, mainly because of the animation system at the moment heating things up more than normal, there is nothing we really can do than just wait for the optimizations to come through.

*edit* i did some testing, get about 7 fps more with these setting but my card still starts to heat up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598144619

notice the strange difference in usage on the CPU's? The animation seems to have the biggest toll on the GPU than on the CPU. To improve this can it not be possible to put some more of the load on the CPU's than the GPU?

I have also noticed that with 5, or even 50 people, it makes no real difference, the GPU still heats up if the map is unoptimized. I know the R9 290x is not known for being a cool card but still 90 degrees is hot!

*edit 2*

I opened up my case and now my GPU does no longer heat up to 90! It did not go beyond 75 Degrees Celcius anymore even on Fools Road with 50 people! So keeping that case open for now is a good temporarily solution until the new animation system is here!

So far this is the only game that makes my GPU heat up to 90 Degrees Celcius, mainly because of the animation system at the moment heating things up more than normal, there is nothing we really can do than just wait for the optimizations to come through.

*edit* i did some testing, get about 7 fps more with these setting but my card still starts to heat up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598144619

notice the strange difference in usage on the CPU's? The animation seems to have the biggest toll on the GPU than on the CPU. To improve this can it not be possible to put some more of the load on the CPU's than the GPU?

I have also noticed that with 5, or even 50 people, it makes no real difference, the GPU still heats up if the map is unoptimized. I know the R9 290x is not known for being a cool card but still 90 degrees is hot!

*edit 2*

I opened up my case and now my GPU does no longer heat up to 90! It did not go beyond 75 Degrees Celcius anymore even on Fools Road with 50 people! So keeping that case open for now is a good temporarily solution until the new animation system is here!

Strange because with the animation issue, you are CPU limited so your gpu usage is lower, i.e. Temp cooler

I got an AMD FX 8150, 8 core 3.60 ghz, its a beast that still holds up nicely (also being liquid cooled with a Antec KÜHLER H2O 620).