Sign in to follow this  
PolishKruk

Topographical Maps

I'm sure it's a long way off but I was wondering when we would be getting new maps because the ones in game currently, in my opinion, are pretty bad. I know sumari bala is just a piece of a much larger work but the in game map is so horribly inaccurate it makes it hard to find good routes to maneuver. I also feel like the other maps lack detail when trying to spot the enemy and place markers. 

As it stands right now I would prefer a pure elevation map. 

Anyways, I'm sure these will be made better at some point I was just wondering when.

We had thought of this,

came to the conclusion we'd need to contract with a cartographer.

For both print and digital carto elevation maps we use every day outside of gaming, almost all the text, river banks, building outlines, elevation markings, points of interest , etc are still hand drawn or scripted then hand placed on each map at each zoom level, it's a craft/trade/profession/art that requires serious man hours .

If anyone knows any GIS undergrads or grad students or GIS professionals who want to refresh or bolster their portfolio, and they have interest in something like this, you can send them my way.

Wow, I didn't know it was that in depth. Very cool and thanks for the info.

I'll ask my old geology professor and see if he can point me towards some.

We had thought of this,

came to the conclusion we'd need to contract with a cartographer.

For both print and digital carto elevation maps we use every day outside of gaming, almost all the text, river banks, building outlines, elevation markings, points of interest , etc are still hand drawn or scripted then hand placed on each map at each zoom level, it's a craft/trade/profession/art that requires serious man hours .

If anyone knows any GIS undergrads or grad students or GIS professionals who want to refresh or bolster their portfolio, and they have interest in something like this, you can send them my way.

I know someone and will pass this on to him Pete Chadwell is his name. 

Thanks RaTzo for the referral! I don't have time right now to pursue a discussion, but in the meantime, folks can look at my web site by visiting http://www.dynamicarts.biz

I'll check back in here tomorrow and see what I can discover.

Pete Chadwell

Dynamic Arts
Illustration