mYsfit

Incentive for Winning a Match

It' s not fear. Everyone that is disagreeing with you OP came to this game to experience something different- the ability to work as a team with likeminded people towards a common goal. They(we) feel that adding additional "winner" tokens would cheapen that .

I'm done talking about CS.

I have explained in several posts now my idea, which I just thought of off the top of my head. Just because I post something in the feedback/ideas forum of a new video game doesn't mean I should have the answers to everything. I made a suggestion, gave an example, and even if I did provide an in depth, multiple page rant about a system I think would work, the devs will come up with their own system if that's what they want to do, so what's the point? All I'm trying to do is bring this up to the devs so they are aware that this type of intrinsic rewards system does not appeal to everyone, and if they want other gamers, like those from CoD and Battlefield for instance, to play their game, then they are going to have to add something that they find appealing. If they don't want to do this then fine, I will still play Squad, it's a great game and I'm having a lot of fun playing, but I'm pretty sure they want the former.  

I will continue to play until I don't want to anymore.

It has taken you over a dozen reply' s to very vaguely explain your system. And it's still not very clear. And what you have explains "is" ranking....

I really don't understand why everyone is so afraid of this type of thing. It doesn't remove anything in terms of the experience that you get from the game, and if the devs don't want to put something in the game they don't have to, simple as that. 

Its been stated by some in this thread already. No matter what you implement, someone is going to use their badge, rank, achievement or whatever it is as a way to justify an argument with someone else. It will detract from teamplay and does not promote a healthy community because this is the internet and on the internet people love to be assholes.

You may not think it now but this will be the case once we get heavy assets and new rules sets for those assets.

Phew, that was a long read. Incredible feedback on this thread so far; despite some of it following the zig-zag path.

I'm fairly new to the game so my opinion may not have solified enough to a point where I can back it up 100%. Still, I strongly believe that the strenght in this game lies precisely in the lack of a ranking/achievement system which caters to one's self-ego. Every single game out there that has adopted this system has seen its community fragment; "Noob Players", "Elite Squads", "High-Honor Levels", etc --you name it, the fragmentation is there. Forever. This causes players to find confort and joy in self-promotion and self-validation rather than focusing on teamwork, comms and coordination in a cohesive manner-- which could potentially and most likely transform this game into something that it isn't meant to be.

Inspite of the OP, however, I do feel the game needs a system capable of portraying and expressing a degree of 'reputation'. A few ideas come to mind though they're all pretty infant at core:

- Squad Leader / Marksman / Medic / Sniper charts?

- A voting system to help differentiate levels of commitment to available kits (mentioned above)?

Any of the aforementioned could be worked further to help establish a greater sense of responsibility towards the role you play. I'd be very interested if an algorithm was coded that would attribute points/votes into a chart per level of commitment to teamwork. Maybe it could cross-calculate how long in Match X you've spent along your squad, if your presence helped spawning a RP or FOB, how much build you've done, how much you've saved X fellow soldier, etc. The number of things that could be added are close to infinite; it's all up to one's creativity.

This would be a system I'd back up because it'd reflect all of Squad's core and favor distinction as opposed to self-promotion and ego boosting.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to counter-suggest; As said, this is merely an idea that came to mind and its nowhere close to being final.

Yours truly,

- Dial

I agree with you man, but this will not appeal to everyone, and I'm just trying to bring that to the attention of the devs.

I think they know, and I think they dont want to appeal to everyone, I think they and the community want to appeal to players who play the game for the sake of playing it.

I really don't understand why everyone is so afraid of this type of thing. It doesn't remove anything in terms of the experience that you get from the game, and if the devs don't want to put something in the game they don't have to, simple as that. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, it just doesnt fit within this game. No one should be rewarded for anything, its a team based game. Why do people expect achievements for doing anything in video games anymore. Just play the game, you dont need any more incentive then to actually win the game and get respect from your squad mates. 

Its been stated by some in this thread already. No matter what you implement, someone is going to use their badge, rank, achievement or whatever it is as a way to justify an argument with someone else. It will detract from teamplay and does not promote a healthy community because this is the internet and on the internet people love to be assholes.

You may not think it now but this will be the case once we get heavy assets and new rules sets for those assets.

People will still use other things, like how many kills they got two rounds ago, to justify an argument. In fact it's already happening.

I just noticed that this forum has a ranking system: Grunt > Fireteam leader > Company commander.....

OMG REMOVE IT AT ONCE!!

I think they know, and I think they dont want to appeal to everyone, I think they and the community want to appeal to players who play the game for the sake of playing it.

I am aware that they have a limited supply of people working on the game, but from a business point of view, and the fact that the alpha costs $40......., they want money, which means they should be targeting as many gamers as possible. 

Phew, that was a long read. Incredible feedback on this thread so far; despite some of it following the zig-zag path.

I'm fairly new to the game so my opinion may not have solified enough to a point where I can back it up 100%. Still, I strongly believe that the strenght in this game lies precisely in the lack of a ranking/achievement system which caters to one's self-ego. Every single game out there that has adopted this system has seen its community fragment; "Noob Players", "Elite Squads", "High-Honor Levels", etc --you name it, the fragmentation is there. Forever. This causes players to find confort and joy in self-promotion and self-validation rather than focusing on teamwork, comms and coordination in a cohesive manner-- which could potentially and most likely transform this game into something that it isn't meant to be.

Inspite of the OP, however, I do feel the game needs a system capable of portraying and expressing a degree of 'reputation'. A few ideas come to mind though they're all pretty infant at core:

- Squad Leader / Marksman / Medic / Sniper charts?

- A voting system to help differentiate levels of commitment to available kits (mentioned above)?

Any of the aforementioned could be worked further to help establish a greater sense of responsibility towards the role you play. I'd be very interested if an algorithm was coded that would attribute points/votes into a chart per level of commitment to teamwork. Maybe it could cross-calculate how long in Match X you've spent along your squad, if your presence helped spawning a RP or FOB, how much build you've done, how much you've saved X fellow soldier, etc. The number of things that could be added are close to infinite; it's all up to one's creativity.

This would be a system I'd back up because it'd reflect all of Squad's core and favor distinction as opposed to self-promotion and ego boosting.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to counter-suggest; As said, this is merely an idea that came to mind and its nowhere close to being final.

Yours truly,

- Dial

I would just like to say thank you, this is the first mature comment I've read, in a game full of people who are trying to convince me that they are mature gamers. 

People will still use other things, like how many kills they got two rounds ago, to justify an argument. In fact it's already happening.

And the immature ones will learn that K/D is utterly pointless. Personally I haven't noticed that. But if it is happening even with kills and score, why do you want to make it worse?

It may be seen as a ranking system but not the conventional one that many people are afraid of.

I apologize for blowing up your brain.

No COD MW 2 gave you badges... remember. It's a very conventional ranking system... its had its ass turned inside out more times than you...

No COD MW 2 gave you badges... remember. It's a very conventional ranking system... its had its ass turned inside out more times than you...

LOL

Show me where I said I want this game to have a ranking system like CoD and I'll turn my ass inside out, again, just for you.

I always find it interesting in these threads, of which there has been many, that those who push for it, end up using the argument that we only want these teeny, very significant icons that indicate minor achievements of some sort, like in game time, of matches played, or in this instance, matches won. Which always makes me wonder, if you agree that you don't want any level up, perks, achievements that have any bearing on the game itself, what's the point? Who would care? Would you really push that much harder for that last cap, because winning will boost your total from 436 to 437? Or, would you bow to someone who had won 1,000 matches when you had only won 729?

I don't care about off line stats, or even steam achievements as long as they don't show up in game. Once you start incorporating bonus hits of dopamine in game with arbitrary notices of your prowess, some people start to chase them to the detriment of gameplay.

It was one of the things that wrecked RO2 imo.

And the immature ones will learn that K/D is utterly pointless. Personally I haven't noticed that. But if it is happening even with kills and score, why do you want to make it worse?

First of all, K/D is not pointless in the current state of the game. If you get a player with 28 kills and 12 kills, and a player with 0 kills and 12 deaths, the player with 28 kills has def helped the outcome of the game more than the player with 0 kills, regardless of whether they were using teamwork or not. 

First of all, K/D is not pointless in the current state of the game. If you get a player with 28 kills and 12 kills, and a player with 0 kills and 12 deaths, the player with 28 kills has def helped the outcome of the game more than the player with 0 kills, regardless of whether they were using teamwork or not. 

Not if they were a medic

In everything there is Yen and Yang.....opposites opposing each other infinitely ...that is where I think this is. There is no right or wrong here just opposing views and beliefs...both are right and both are wrong...Yen and Yang...:)

Would you please stay on subject about "your ranking system"... you have yet to post a "clear" understanding of it, without replying to someone else's comment.

Thats entirely untrue. You are awarded a "kill" when the enemy is "downed". This point remains whether a medic revives him or not. If a medic gets to him then they lost no ticket but you still get a kill. So that person with 28 kills may in fact have done exactly dick to the enemy but drained twelve tickets from his own team while the player with zero kills didn't directly hurt the enemy but is most likely playing medic and in fact worked to preserve his own teams tickets.

You did point out correctly that at this stage it is easier to lonewolf and just kill. In the future builds this play style wont have near the upside it does now. Those of you who do it should enjoy it while it lasts.

I personally never cared about rank while playing Cod or Battlefield. The incentive for me was unlocking new weapons and attachments, but that is something that doesnt fit in Squad.

I always find it interesting in these threads, of which there has been many, that those who push for it, end up using the argument that we only want these teeny, very significant icons that indicate minor achievements of some sort, like in game time, of matches played, or in this instance, matches won. Which always makes me wonder, if you agree that you don't want any level up, perks, achievements that have any bearing on the game itself, what's the point? Who would care? Would you really push that much harder for that last cap, because winning will boost your total from 436 to 437? Or, would you bow to someone who had won 1,000 matches when you had only won 729?

I don't care about off line stats, or even steam achievements as long as they don't show up in game. Once you start incorporating bonus hits of dopamine in game with arbitrary notices of your prowess, some people start to chase them to the detriment of gameplay.

It was one of the things that wrecked RO2 imo.

I would not bow to the person who has more wins than I, they may have played the game more than I have (or I just suck at the game). Either way, the only thing a system like that would show is how well I work as a team, because in this game, teamwork is the key to winning. I'm going to go out on a lim here and say it could be a ranking system that shows teamwork, not skill, since like I just said, teamwork is winning. 

Also, all I'm doing is suggesting an idea to cater to those people who enjoy extrinsic rewards as well as intrinsic ones. If my badge system thing was in game and someone wanted to use their badge as a way of indicating they were better than you in anyway, who cares? Ignore them lol. People will probably do this regardless with screenshots of high kills or a good k/d. 

Thats entirely untrue. You are awarded a "kill" when the enemy is "downed". This point remains whether a medic revives him or not. If a medic gets to him then they lost no ticket but you still get a kill. So that person with 28 kills may in fact have done exactly dick to the enemy but drained twelve tickets from his own team while the player with zero kills didn't directly hurt the enemy but is most likely playing medic and in fact worked to preserve his own teams tickets.

You did point out correctly that at this stage it is easier to lonewolf and just kill. In the future builds this play style wont have near the upside it does now. Those of you who do it should enjoy it while it lasts.

Ok then you can play on the team with the kid who has 0 kills, and I'll choose the one with the 28 kills. 

Would love for a dev to comment on what they think about this type of idea, incorporating something that rewards you for a win, not a ranking/leveling system in CoD or Battlefield. 

Not necessairly.

I would agree if you said potential or possibily; definitely? No.

Maybe the guy who's gotten the 27 kills camped it out or had the better timing in hitting reported contacts. Maybe the guy with 0 kills hasn't grasped the full value of reporting enemy positions or planning his moves accordingly? Maybe the guy with 0 kills served as decoy or otherwise created opportunities for others to spot, shoot and kill nearby contacts? Basing one's worth on their K/D has always been a poor display of judgement, I believe.

K/D in this game is only important in affering the true balance of a squad's teamwork. The higher the teamwork the higher probability everyone's K/D ratio will range across the board.

- Dial

I'm all for a team based ranking, but guess what can't work cause you play with different people every round...

Please mysfit go join a clan and I'm sure u'll find happiness... they have their own internal ranking system that would be much more satisfying.

It took me a few days of training In arma to prove I was a good helicopter pilot for the clan...

I can't wait to join a legitament clan in squad...