Carlos Danger

Death Animations

I think it would be cool if when you die in the game, you could watch your character - for example - fall to the ground in-first person as opposed to going straight to a black screen and DEAD like you do right now. If the game were to embrace gore, a player whose character took a nasty grenade hit, for instance, might watch their character look down and  attempt to stuff some stomach entrails back into their body or something before the screen fades entirely to black. In other words, I think a brief first-person "death animation" should play before a player actually dies. I think the feature could be really immersive and unique.

I like the gore in it but it might be to gorie for some people. I did put up a thread like a month or two, and i got some positive responds and allot of negativity. I like the idea but i dont think there should be an animation everytime you die, beacuse in some situations in the game like geting run over by a car or jumping out of a helicopter just before it crashes shouldt have a animation or even geting blown up. but when you get shot or get stabed should have a prety goresome animation :)

I don't see the problem with gore because if this is a realistic game if you get hit by a high caliber or a grenade fragment you will get ripped in half.

Id like the death cam to be 3rd person top-down. that way you can see your ragdoll, but you cant see what is happening aroun you/where you got killed from etc.

I prefer that no animations for death , they make the hardcoded game and prevent us have ragdoll physics on .

I tend to feel that a ragdoll option is a bit more appropriate (largely because they seem to interact better with the environemnt when done well), but i think it depends how much control the developers have over the physics side of thing (not sure if those are simply based on options/values or physics programming they would have to do). I don't want to see charecter models being blown 2km  across the map from a frag....as funny as it may be, it kind of breaks immersion. As far as a kill-cam, i hope thats not an option or at least a server administrator option....too much of an arcade feature for me.

I could see something like this if you're wounded and could be revived but if you're dead-dead just have the char fall to his face in first person and fade out to black would be fine. It would be fun to see more of the falling and physics from your chars eyes instead of instant black or pan out to 3rd person IMO.

I'm also ok with gore though, but I like rag dolls too much to go back to death animations lol

What the player sees may very well depend on the type of health system they introduce. I like your idea of fading to black. Having the player fall, but maintining the first person view, and have it slow fade out as the player bleeds out or it go immediately black makes sense to me.

As far as gore, i think it's somthing that needs to be address delicately. Taking a middle of the road approach seems the most reasonable to me.

Just the first person camera dropping on the ground in some way is fine, I think it was decided in a previous threat that we wouldnt do real gore, which is a good choice in my opinion.

I think it should be like red orchestra 2 or insurgency where when you get shot and die you are still in first person and see yourself fall down. Gore is another matter as the devs are still unclear on what they want to do. Project Reality was fine with just the red/dust puffs when getting shot. I'm not against gore at all, I liked it in red orchestra even  though sometimes it was over the top.

RO2 has some animations when you die.  I remember shoting someone in the neck and he falling down, like a ragdoll, but with his hands around his neck, making gargling sounds of choking with his own blood, moving for a bit and then dying. I think it adds a nice atmosphere very lacking in most war games.

If I remember correctly, the devs have stated that that they're trying to make a tactical shooter, not a PTSD simulator. I doubt you'll see soldiers drowning in their own blood in the game.

It would be so awesome and immersive to see yourself fall down with maybe sounds and noises similar to Red Orchestra. Not ''as'' hard and often as they do of course, but it works for immersion.

Looking at it again, i think the first person camera death is a good option. I really dont care as much about seeing my own ragdoll when i die, but i think it makes the whole experience much better when you see your enemies/teammates ragdoll when they die.

So a system like RO2 or insurgency would be nice.

I must have missed all those reports from PTSD caused by RO2

Every night I dream about my deaths in RO2....it's terrifying :wacko:

I still believe that a ragdoll system be better, with realistic physics and  sound the body  falling without any  camera because would be totally out of context,

I still believe that a ragdoll system be better, with realistic physics and  sound the body  falling without any  camera because would be totally out of context,

especially without camera

I would really be against the introduction of 3rd person death cam... for me that would be a HUGE blow to the immersion. I also really enjoy the "straight to dead" screen, makes being shoot so much more intense :D

I'd rather have a fade to black mixed with the camera just staying attached to the model's face. 

Not really bothered about the Death animation in what ever format the Devs decide...Because...I'll be doing the Killin' and you lot be doing the Dying  alot  lol'z !!... :P

I like this suggestion, it's very similar to what RO2 does.

It may be nice for the audio to fade or cut-out after death too.  All too often the screen will go black but the sounds keep blasting away, which kind of kills the finality in my opinion...

The death animations in RO2 are very annoying and get old extremely fast. You will die a lot, and having to wait for that animation will become painstaking. If you've played Ro2 and have had that death animation where your screen starts to turn black and you can still shoot but do nothing else....ya that is one of the biggest annoyances in an otherwise amazing game.

Please just let dead people see a "Dead Screen" and allow the animations or w.e to play out for those around him, I do not want to be stuck seeing the same death animation every other time I die for how ever long I play the game.

A bit of fade of sight and sound wouldn't hurt anybody. I'd even go to suggest that when you're heavily wounded, but reviveable sight and sounds such as local/radio chat fade in and out.