Raklödder

Fixed Wing Aircraft Discussion

youtu.be/o2zxN_RSDog?t=9m57s

They don't have to reach mach speeds in the actual game.

This is a major disappointment and is making me overly emotional.

:(

If you only care about flying arcade physics jets and no other aspect of the PR experience, you can always enjoy a nice round of PR o maybe even Battlefield.

Is that the best excuse you could come up with for not having fighter jets and bombers?

This isn't the most constructive or respectful way to frame your grievance, just my 2 cents.

Will there be vehicles?

Yes, definitely. There will not be vehicles during early alpha, but we plan to add them as soon as we have the art assets, code support and maps to support them sensibly. In short we really want them in ASAP, but we do have to be realistic about it.

As we progress further we plan to add in many different types of vehicles ranging from transport vehicles, transport helicopters and light armor to full blown tanks, attack helicopters and (possibly) fixed-wing aircraft. We encourage you to read this article about vehicles.

The thing is, who knows for sure tho? If at some point the time is right to experiment with them, I'm sure the devs would.

(possibly) fixed-wing aircraft. 

Did you watch the relevant linked youtube footage in OP? in the interview Litoralis says, word for word, "Vehicles will be in soon, choppers, up to attack choppers -- we don't want to put in, like uh, jets.. 'cus we don't want to have jets going like 30 miles per hour over the top of the, [sic] cus we don't know how to do it within the small confines of what we're doing."

(Just making sure everyone is aware of the information OP is trying to highlight, since some people aren't going to bother clicking the link)

The A10 is a jet and it flies slow....discussed a lot already....and its pictured in kit screens...sure they said A10 was going to be looked at or in at some point...

I can see what OP means regarding that something was promised and then it might not happen. To be honest I'm not PR gamer, I just started playing SQUAD on the early Steam release. I have to admit though that even in its current state when 72 people go at each other it becomes huge Cluster*uck  with all the MG's, AR's, grenade launchers,RPG's,nades etc etc etc, it all goes from tactical mellow gameplay to a panic mode gameplay. I can see Transporter choppers, Attack choppers, tanks, Humvees being implemented in the game but in very restricted numbers with long cool down time. I have no clue how will attack jets fair, even the slower ground attack ones.

Mark my word if tanks and attack choppers roll in the game and cool down time and numbers for them are not tested out well, we will all feel the chaos in game and might become unpleasant playing the game.

Don't just add unlimited vehicles, choppers, jets just for the sake of making the game be what it isn't in first place. Remember BF wanting to beat COD franchise? they over did so many things that after I tried the beta I got turned off immediately and never bought the game, instead I only played Red Orchestra 2.

One thing to chew on, Red Orchestra 2 is as hardcore Squad just less tactical when it comes to team mates talking on the mic, its beneficial but not as needed like in Squad. If you ever played RO2 and you actually were in a server where tanks were allowed on a map that's made for a tank, WOW a one single tank can be so devastating to the whole team of 32 players!!! devastating because of the realism in the game. Imagine what will happen if you just dump Humvees, Attack choppers, transport choppers, tanks, Fighter Jets??? on one map.....

Be careful what you wish for... Quality over Quantity.

I dont want to compare Squad to Arma, but in Arma you have jets flying at decent speeds and are implemented in a way that is not game breaking. Flying jets in PR sucks (for me at least) so I dont know how hard it is to make them, they managed to do it in Arma, Battlefield and other games, how come the devs cant do it here? (just a general question, not trying to be a dick) Also people saying ''Ohh if you want to fly go play battlefield bla bla bla'' thats not the point, people can be disappointed if the promised features wont be implemented. 

Even if jets were coming, they would be so far down the list right now that nobody should bother whinging about this. In or out, your Squad experience wouldn't be changing for a long while. Enjoy what we get next.

Even if jets were coming, they would be so far down the list right now that nobody should bother whinging about this. In or out, your Squad experience wouldn't be changing for a long while. Enjoy what we get next.

I understand that, and I agree it shouldn't be a high priority right now.  My issue is that it sounded like there is no possibility for jets in the game.  Don't rule them out this early in development.

Jets were amazing in PR.  I for one really hope they haven't taken jets off the table completely, which is what it sounded like in that interview.  PR/Squad is about much more than just realism.

This thread is a perfect example of someone in the community throwing analytical thought out of the window and not giving the dev team a little bit of breathing room.

This is exactly why OWI doesnt release explicit dates for things or reveal their full roadmap.

I'm willing to bet they are interested in implementing fixed wing aircraft in SOME capacity.

Hmm, how about having the Asteroid arcade game concept where when you fly at the edge of the map you appear on the opposite side of the map that way you can keep on flying straight without having to go in circles around the map???

I am fine with no jets or bombers. I only play as infantry squads anyways and I never lazed targets for jets because most of the time they missed and didn't do anything. Helicopters is just enough and more effective then jets anyways imo  

And... this is why they don't save their past broadcasts on the official Offworld Industries Twitch stream.

To me, it sounds like Lito is saying "not right now or in the near future" and not "never".

Time will tell.

If they don't implement them, they'll have their reasons.

Even though it would be a small let-down, but this early in development nothing is final, ever.

They'll know what to do.

A10 Warthog

Stall speed: 120 knots (138 mph, 220 km/h)

That is 61.1111 meters/second

Our maps are only 4000 meter by 4000 meter squares, so the hypotenuse is 5656.85 meters.

So some simple math, 5656.85/61.11111

92 seconds to cross the longest distance across the map at stall speed.

So... let's slow the A10 minimum speed down to average highway car speeds, 110 km/h?

184 seconds to cross the longest distance across the map.

Cruise speed: 300 knots (340 mph560 km/h)

155.556 meters/second

36 seconds to fly across the map at cruise speed.

-----------------------------------

We have time to find compromises we can live with, we can think through options right up and through the point we are testing rotary aircraft.

“ideally suited to deal with current and future military fight training requirements and also deployable in scenarios that do not fit high-performance combat aircraft…This new multi-purpose military turboprop aircraft embodies features guaranteed to make it as legendary as its predecessor, the Tucano, a favorite of so many air forces throughout the world.”

AF-29-Tucano-hatch-open.jpg

“Two .50″ machine guns (200 rounds each) in the wings. Five hard points under the wing and fuselage allow up to 1,500 kg of weapons for most configurations…with additional underwing armament, such as two 20mm gun pods or .50″ machine guns, thereby significantly increasing its firepower for missions requiring air-to-ground saturation.”

Just a thought.  :D

I don't think people really understand what slowing down aircraft would do in terms of their capability.

If a jet was going 60 km/h with a somewhat realistic loadout it would absolutely destroy everything on the battlefield. Speed is one of the only things that balances jets in Arma since you can only do so much in a single fly-over. In Battlefield slow jets are balanced because the game doesn't use realistic damage values, you can hit a tank with two ATGMs and it'll be half damaged no matter what.

I don't think people really understand what slowing down aircraft would do in terms of their capability.

Not to mention the ratio inherent in the amount of work necessary to implement fully player-controlled fixed wing aircraft to the amount of people who would be using them at any one time.