Tartantyco

Points-Based Asset Allocation System

POINTS-BASED ASSET ALLOCATION SYSTEM

Just went over the post as vehicles have just been released, and thought I'd update it.

The objective of this system is to create an asset distribution system that allows greater access to required assets, gives teams the ability to dynamically shape and react to a changing battlefield situation, while maintaining a reasonable presence of assets on the battlefield.

Points Resource

The points resource is a system exclusive resource that is passively accrued by players and used solely to purchase vehicle assets. The points resource is divided into three types: Squad, Crewman, and Pilot.

Points Pools

Each player has three pools, one for each of the Squad, Crewman, and Pilot points resources. The starting and minimum value of these pools is 0. A maximum value may be set. Points are not interchangeable between pools.

Points Accrual

To accrue points, a player first needs to be part of a squad. Once the player is part of a squad, he will accrue points into one of his three points pools based on his kit selection. Selecting a Crewman or Pilot kit results in the player accruing points in those respective pools. Selecting any other kit results in the player accruing points into the Squad pool.

Points are only accrued while a player is spawned in on the map. Players who are dead or have not yet spawned in do not accrue points. Players with Pilot and Crewman kits can only accrue points while within 100m of a Purchase Area, or while operating an owned asset.

The default accrual rate is 10/sec.

Points Expenditure

Squad points can only be spent by a Squad Leader with an Officer kit. The Crewman and Pilot points can be spent by the players who have accrued them while those respective kits are equipped. Squad points can be spent on light vehicle assets such as trucks, lightly armed APCs, and jeeps. Crewman points can be spent on all ground vehicles not in the Squad category. Pilot points can be spent on any aircraft.

Joint Purchase

Multiple Crewmen or Pilots can combine their pools to purchase vehicle assets. All involved in the transaction then count that one asset as their active asset, with all reductions and penalties that involves.

Purchase Areas

Vehicle assets can only be purchased in designated areas. These include helipads, hangars, and parking areas within respective Main Bases, but can also include captured objectives, such as airfields, and deployable structures.

Active Asset Limit

An individual player can only have one active Crewman or Pilot vehicle asset at a time. A squad can have multiple Squad vehicle assets active at a time. An active asset is one that is still on the battlefield, including any immobilized or abandoned vehicles.

Active Asset Accrual Reduction

When a player or squad has active vehicles assets, the rate at which points are accrued is reduced, based on the type of asset. For Crewman and Pilot assets, low tier, low risk assets impose a greater reduction than high tier, high risk assets. For Squad assets, a flat reduction of -3 is imposed per active vehicle asset.

Loss Penalty

When a vehicle asset is destroyed, players receive a penalty to their points accrual based on how long the vehicle asset was active before being destroyed.

A 0 accrual period is applied based on how long the vehicle remained active. This is calculated by dividing 20 by the time(in minutes) the vehicle spent on the battlefield(20/6=3,33. Penalty applied for 3 minutes, 18 seconds). From 20 minutes on, a flat 1 minute penalty is applied. During this penalty time, the player accrues no points.

If a Squad vehicle asset was lost, this penalty is applied to all squad members. If a squad loses multiple Squad vehicle assets at the same time, the penalties are applied consecutively.

If a Crewman or Pilot vehicle asset was lost, this penalty is applied to the individual(s) who purchased it.

The penalty in full applies only to the points resource pool of the vehicle asset lost. The penalty is not applied if the vehicle is destroyed by team damage.

Carried Negative Penalty

The 0 accrual period is applied to other resource pools at 50%.

-----

This system would allow teams to decide their own vehicle layout instead of relying on pre-set vehicle compositions by map layer, drastically increasing the gameplay variety derived from individual maps.

The division of the Points Resource into the Squad, Crewman, and Pilot Point Pools encourages players to stick to their roles, as does the relative reduction imposed by the Active Asset Accrual Reduction and Carried Negative Penalty. A Crewman can’t simply use his Crewman points to get an Apache, and an Infantry squad can’t suddenly turn into a tank division. Players operating low-risk vehicle assets won’t be able to accrue large resource pools that would tempt them to splurge on high-tier vehicle assets that they feel they can just waste, either.

The passive Points Accrual encourages and rewards asset conservation. In concert with the Loss Penalty, the players who keep their assets alive for a long time manage to accrue more points to quickly purchase a new asset after an asset loss and avoid harsh penalties. Meanwhile, the Carried Negative Penalty ensures that a Pilot who loses his asset cannot avoid punishment by simply switching to a Crewman kit and start accruing Crewman points without penalty.

The various mechanisms work together to reduce and eliminate most potential for abuse, griefing, and waste, and focuses on punishing the individual players and squads instead of the team as a whole.

Asset Access

Squad Leaders can grant and revoke access to any individual vehicles they have purhcased, as well as seating, to any squad or team member. Crewmen and Pilots can grant and revoke access to any individual vehicles they have purhcased, as well as seating, to any squad or team member

Team Asset Restrictions

Restrictions on the type and number of assets available to any team can be implemented in any way preferred. Hard caps(3 tanks only active at once, etc.), a team resource pool restricting how many assets can be active at once, potentially further restricted by asset category, or any other solution preferred.

“Changelog”

Simplified most mechanisms by removing exponential functions in favor of flat and linear ones.

Made all penalties and reductions tied to individuals.

Removed negative points pool values.

Edited by Tartantyco

Definitely like the concept of allowing a team to choose their own loadout in terms of vehicles. However, this idea might fit in better as a mod rather than in vanilla Squad. With a 50v50 gave of pubbie players, it's so much more simple and enjoyable to just have vehicles on a timer.

On 28.8.2016 at 0:55 AM, Mumble said:

Definitely like the concept of allowing a team to choose their own loadout in terms of vehicles. However, this idea might fit in better as a mod rather than in vanilla Squad. With a 50v50 gave of pubbie players, it's so much more simple and enjoyable to just have vehicles on a timer.

They're still on a timer. It's just an individual/squad timer.

quite an interesting take on the asset system. however what I miss is that when I'm in an asset squad I can't contribute shat to my team while I'm waiting for my asset to become available.

34 minutes ago, sgt_froug said:

quite an interesting take on the asset system. however what I miss is that when I'm in an asset squad I can't contribute shat to my team while I'm waiting for my asset to become available.

Well, if assets become immediately available to people, they're not investing anything to earn that asset. People who don't value their asset won't sit around for a couple of minutes to get their hands on it. But this is where the Join Purchase part comes in. If two or three crewmen or pilots pool their resources together, they can have much faster access to those vehicles. And as those kinds of assets will probably require 2 operators minimum, that shouldn't be a problem. So you can get into the action pretty fast, but only if you cooperate with other players.

well I'm not saying that I want assets to become immediately available, what I meant was that it's fine to wait for the asset but I'd like to be able to help my team in one way or the other while waiting.

looking at PR here: it was really nice to have about 15-20 minutes for the teams to set up positions on the map in order to be prepared against heavy assets.

maybe there are more ways for crewmen & pilots to accrue points then?! one quick example of the top off my head: have them ride gunners on trans choppers for example (which e.g. could be abused to just farm points). or enable them to accrue points while building FOBs. reward them for doing something that contributes to the team's effort basically. 

Edited by sgt_froug
typo

@sgt_froug Again, you need players to invest something and to value their assets. If players can just run around the map as infantry or something while they accrue pilot or crewman points, then you'll likely end up with players who don't handle their assets responsibly, and who simply lonewolf while they're waiting for assets.

If you let people accrue points while gunning or while building FOBs, then people will just gun and build FOBs to get points, not to actually do their job as gunners or to build FOBs that help their team out.

I really don't see any way around this if you want people to care about their assets, and I think that players will find it an acceptable trade-off. The waiting is an important part of this system working, it weeds out anyone who isn't in some way committed to their role.

You're still able to accrue points as long as you're operating an asset, so if you keep your assets alive for long enough, there shouldn't be much of a wait between you losing an asset and getting a new one.

The Commander Needs Something To DO

Nice topic post, well thought out. I do most certainly believe a system needs to be in place for getting vehicles for your team. There will be (in the future) i believe too many different types of vehicles in this game to have multiple of all of them in your base to start and still call this an infantry based game. Choosing which resources to equip your team with should be the Commander's job, he needs things to do. He has chosen to practically spectate. Joint purchasing seems messy, especially at the non SL level and can lead to people not working together very fast. Set a max allocated point system to vehicles and specific equipment VEP (Vehicle and Equipment Points). Here's what I suggest.

Game Start:

Planning

-Lobby time increased and the ability for players to spawn immediately in-game to their base

-The base gate remains closed and weapons are not able to be fired, forcing all players to stay inside the main base

-both teams VEP pools are set to their respective starting amounts (possibly more for militia or other factions which do not have access to superior vehicles or installations)

-1 free logi truck is spawned at each of the faction's main bases

-Command Center added to base, containing Inventory Catalog(for purchasing items with VEP) and maybe joint map tool with layers and other tools to aid long term strategy

Purchasing

-VEP visible to only SLs and Command? Probably no point for anyone else to really even see it I am thinking.

-Inventory Catalog may be accessed by Commander and SLs. Only the commander will be able to purchase VEP items with the exception that there is no commander. Where possibly a SL voting system may be implemented, depending upon the vehicle values a voting system might be best. The fewer the total max vehicles, the more valuable each one is. Meaning if you can only purchase one a-10, 2 Jets, a tank, 2 transport trucks and an additional logi truck you may want some voting.  (I say less vehicles is for the best seeing as this is an infantry based game primarily) 

Logi Runs could be more fun, Include Installations and Casches to be purchased in the Inventory Catalog

-Delivering a big gun or mortar is just more fun and i would feel more important overall than delivering stupid points =p

-HMGs and Mortars and cashes should be purchased with VEP and kept at main until actually loaded onto logi trucks

-It might be more fun if this were done with additional future equipment as well

Claiming [might as well add this?]

-Squad claimed vehicles now require additional approval for non squadies to enter upon game start. ie: squad 1 claims humvee and squad 2 member attempts to board. Request to squad 1 SL is sent. He accepts and now all of squad 2 may board squad 1's humvee. Now that currency is attached to this there might be more of a reason for this to require additional approval. I hate having to leave my squad members behind while another squad has decided to occupy half of our vehicle anyway. Transport trucks are different but if it is not i say get in your own. Stick with your own squad.

Mid-late Game:

Re-Purchase

-once a vehicle is destroyed tickets are lost and a cool down timer begins

-once the cool down timer ends the VEP value of the vehicle is now added once again to the faction's pool

- If no commander, after cool down, the game checks to make sure the team has sufficient funds and automatically respawns the destroyed vehicle 

-if commander present on faction he will be prompted to either respawn the vehicle or open the catalog

Edited by madcat768

Don't try to change a system that was already put into test and is fully functional, Project Reality's asset system just works without a problem, I don't see the reason to waste manpower and time on changing something that has already been proven that works.

@Tartantycocould you say something about how the mechanic would work for competitive matches? Or is the point-based asset allocation system intended for public servers only?

I see a potential for this to work in competitive matches aswell, similar to the buying system in Counter-Strike. You could even add mechanics such as losing team having slightly higher rate of point-accumulation (after bleeding for some time), to encourage comebacks and to even the game out slightly (the better team should would still win). This is analogous to how the losing team in Counter-Strike increasingly earns more money at the start of each round, if they lose multiple rounds in a row. 

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

@Tartantycocould you say something about how the mechanic would work for competitive matches? Or is the point-based asset allocation system intended for public servers only?

I make no distinction between the two. The system rewards coordination, and the more organized competitive teams would be more capable of making use of the Joint Purchase and Asset Access features.

Increasing points accrual based on flags capped or whatever might be feasible, but I'm not sure giving more ticket-costing assets to a team that is on the back foot would do anything other than speed up their demise. ;)

33 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

I make no distinction between the two. The system rewards coordination, and the more organized competitive teams would be more capable of making use of the Joint Purchase and Asset Access features.

Ah, Im in favour of keeping systems as similar as possible between public and competitive settings. Sounds good to me, although I was under the impression that certain of the suggestion were especially coined at solving issues related to public games (which might be counter-productive for organized games).

With this system, would you recommend lowering the amount of ticket-loss when losing an asset? So the team doesnt take a double-whammy in the form of both losing an active asset+heavy ticket loss (instead, its mainly the individual who lost the vehicle who is penalized).

Increasing points accrual based on flags capped or whatever might be feasible, but I'm not sure giving more ticket-costing assets to a team that is on the back foot would do anything other than speed up their demise. ;)

If ticket-loss was lowered for assets, then it might make more sense to have "increasing points accrual based on flags capped".

Edited by plissken

On 11/08/2016 at 1:55 AM, Tartantyco said:

Loss Penalty

When a vehicle asset is destroyed, players receive a penalty to their points accrual based on how long the vehicle asset was active before being destroyed.

A 0 accrual period is applied based on how long the vehicle remained active. This is calculated by dividing 20 by the time(in minutes) the vehicle spent on the battlefield(20/6=3,33. Penalty applied for 3 minutes, 18 seconds). From 20 minutes on, a flat 1 minute penalty is applied. During this penalty time, the player accrues no points.

If a Squad vehicle asset was lost, this penalty is applied to all squad members. If a squad loses multiple Squad vehicle assets at the same time, the penalties are applied consecutively.

If a Crewman or Pilot vehicle asset was lost, this penalty is applied to the individual(s) who purchased it.

The penalty in full applies only to the points resource pool of the vehicle asset lost. The penalty is not applied if the vehicle is destroyed by team damage.

There seems to be a potential problem with this suggestion for organized/competitive games. Lets say a Pilot buys a heli, flies for 1-2 minutes and gets shot down. Or lets say a squad of crewmen buy a VIC, leave the purchase zone and get immediately destroyed by a HAT player spawn camping. This is conceivable scenarious, and can happen to the best.

With the Loss Penalty, the Pilot/crewmen who lost their assets that quickly would be penalized, and have significantly longer wait time untill the can buy new assets, compared to if you would send someone else to main an accrue points instead of them. This creates an annoying meta of rotating players from other squads to accrue points near purchase areas, so that the intended pilots/crewmen can get their assets back in action as quickly as possible.

Or am I missing something? @Tartantyco

8 hours ago, plissken said:

Or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything, but the purpose of the mechanic is simply to specifically stop individual players from wasting assets and hurting their team. In the case of organized/competitive play I assume all participants are playing to the best of their ability, and as such this mechanic could just as well be disabled.

It's the requirement that players need to stay in main base with a specific kit to accrue points that is the real limiting factor for the teams. There's a lot of ways to meta in that case, as well, but I don't see meta-gaming like this as a negative unless it actually negatively affects gameplay.  As an example, you could cycle five players through accruing points at main, collectively buying assets, then another five players do the same thing, until every player has the active asset penalty imposed on them, but I don't think the logistical practicalities of doing this would be very surmountable, and then you have to find the balance between how many people you can have standing around main not involved in battle vs. the combat value of the assets they're pumping out.

One thing I assume would happen in competitive games is that basically the entire team would get crewman/pilot kits at the start, and then collectively buy some "high tier" assets, but I'm not entirely sure how effective that would be considering everyone involved in the joint purchase would not have an active asset accrual reduction. So, it's another cost/benefit analysis: Does getting tanks quick outweigh slower squad asset access and fewer squad assets, or is survivability long enough that infantry squads aren't affected? Either way, if one team can do it, the other team can too.

Basically, teams can meta the hell out of the system if they want to, but I don't think anything substantially cheesy is effective enough to be useful for a team that wants to win.