+1 Longsword

Iron Sights too far from in game player eye

Agreed with OP. Currently the M4 and AK iron sights pretty much have you cheek welding the weapon towards the end of the buttstock.

Big respect to all the devs working on everything!

I Own an aimpoint PRO, and a AR platform rifle....when I have the gun raised...it is AT the zoomed in(holding shift) position naturally...i dont sit with my face leaned so far back I should be in a rap video. if my face isnt in the optic, it's sitting with the gun at the rest or half rest position...like it is in the game.

I'm not sure how it's taught in the Danish Military, but in the US military soldiers are taught to put their nose to the charging handle and shoot with both eyes open. It feels very natural to put your nose to the dust cover on AKs as well. It definitely should be a lot closer I'd say, and I'm holding an AR in my hands right now. 

Never shot a AK. As said, Shot the C7A1(M16) with stock extender and I don't recall having my nose on the charging handle. Both eyes or a single.

I do agree that it should be somewhat closer, but it isn't far off in my opinion.  :)

Though the distance from the eye is correct, the current implementation ignores the vastly wider field of view in real life as well as the blurry rear iron, that said I think what is really. Necessary is for them to allow partials transparent textures on the back of the sights when zoomed in, the same could be done for the acog and pso for the protrusions around the edges that aren't visible during one eye shooting irl, and aren't a hinderance when shooting with both eyes open

I agree  :D

Never shot a AK. As said, Shot the C7A1(M16) with stock extender and I don't recall having my nose on the charging handle. Both eyes or a single.

I do agree that it should be somewhat closer, but it isn't far off in my opinion.  :)

I agree  :D

Well AK stocks are pretty short so right off the bat your face is basically on the dust cover. The way it currently is, however, even when pressing shift your face is way too far away from the dust cover. You should barely be able to see the recoil spring tab with your peripheral vision in person, and in game due to the limitations of the screen you really shouldn't be able to see it at all.

As for the C7, I can understand why you might not be taught to shoot NTCH, but NTCH is standard for the U.S. military because of the optics used and the choice of collapsible stock. ACOG eye relief is pitiful and because of this soldiers really need to get as far up on the stock as possible. In game, however, this really isn't reflected given how far back you are in game. With Aimpoints like that, you should be able to see around the housing just barely if it's all the way back (however if it's sitting over the ejection port you should be able to see around the optic quite a bit. As for the ACOG, you should be able to see out to the sides of the optic (impossible due to the devs not implementing PiP at this point; hopefully they'll just copy PR's scopes 1:1 if they can't ever implement PiP) but not above or below it.

That being said, try putting your nose to the charging handle next time you handle a C7 or an AR with a collapsible stock and I guarantee you it'll feel pretty natural. If your country uses extended latch charging handles (which they should because US Milspec charging handles are complete crap) the latch even creates a little place for your nose to sit on top of (though I don't recommend actually putting your nose directly on the charging handle when you shoot the weapon; lift it up a little bit unless you want a nose full of carbon and pain.)

That being said, try putting your nose to the charging handle next time you handle a C7 or an AR with a collapsible stock and I guarantee you it'll feel pretty natural. If your country uses extended latch charging handles (which they should because US Milspec charging handles are complete crap) the latch even creates a little place for your nose to sit on top of (though I don't recommend actually putting your nose directly on the charging handle when you shoot the weapon; lift it up a little bit unless you want a nose full of carbon and pain.)

and if the weapon has an adjustable gas block, make sure it's set up properly, I got lucky and only got a scare from a huge blast of explosive gas hitting my thumb and a fuck-ton of carbon all over my hand but make sure that bitch is tight with lots of loc-tite. First time out to the range after removing the A2 sight was quite the experience honestly. My AR was converted to a fancy single-shot after that... Still haven't been back to the range since to fix it and dial in the pressure.

Agree that the sights are too far away, especially with the AKs - I think that may have been the real problem behind the issues players were having with the AK iron sights.

Increasing the FOV to about 105 makes the M4A1's placement when not sighted in seem accurate, but when aiming down sights the rear aperture is quite far away. On the other hand, decreasing the fov makes aiming much easier, but makes it feel like the rifle is poking out of your face.

Yeah I agree.

While I dont own an AR or AK, ive fired them and agree the sight picture is too far from the view point, even 'zoomed in'. 

What we have now reminds me of firing my Mosin. Its really far out there from the eye.

Tomorrow I guess I'll take some pictures down my PM.63's irons as well as the view down my ACOG or something on my AR, that way I can help illustrate my point.

and if the weapon has an adjustable gas block, make sure it's set up properly, I got lucky and only got a scare from a huge blast of explosive gas hitting my thumb and a fuck-ton of carbon all over my hand but make sure that bitch is tight with lots of loc-tite. First time out to the range after removing the A2 sight was quite the experience honestly. My AR was converted to a fancy single-shot after that... Still haven't been back to the range since to fix it and dial in the pressure.

Lol great job; nothing worse than when your AR becomes FUBAR and goes into single shot mode (had that problem for awhile.)

i play with 80 fov. then that's ok.  i have 21:9.     with a 16:9 i think you lose too much viewing area.

Yeah, it's definitely something that's easy to fix if you've got a bigger monitor with a better resolution. That being said, most people probably 23/24" 16:9 monitors like me and trying to aim is just horrific. Yeah, if I really wanted to I could turn down my FOV and turn my irons into a sniper rifle, but I really do think this is an issue that needs fixing. I trust they'll get around to it eventually.

the cam is on the head from the complet 3D model. i think then we need a extra animation for aim. 

- now the cam zoomed in and  moves to the right  but  the head position is the same as always

butt your head go forwart to the rifle and leans to the right  to the rifle. and your field of view tilts.

A nice side effect, you can see now what the enemy or your buddy make. overewatch or aiming ^^

and various fov have no more this big differends then you have so always the same distance to your rifle.

I don't really care about the out of focus sights, but I think the ak iron sights should be closer to the player's view. It is so far away and tiny. It is hard to see anything. With the M4 sights you can actually tell where you're aiming. Please fix.

On 2016-1-14 at 7:21 PM, trotskygrad said:

AA2 did it well imo

This and the PR scopes would be awesome, I hope that is the final intention as it is far more accurate and also just better all round for what you're trying to achieve by aiming down the sights. 

There is not a need to revive this thread, it has been discussed and is planned to be updated with the new animation system.

However, feel free to provide feedback when the new system is released.

On 2016-01-05 at 2:52 AM, +1 Longsword said:

hello! from my use of ar-15's and ak type platform rifles i must say the iron sights are much too small and extremely hard to use. they seem miles away from the shooters eye. this isnt the only game that does this. just about every single game i have ever played has had terrible m16 iron sights. the peep sight of the ar-15 should look like you are looking THROUGH it not at it. it is very hard to explain i will try to find some screen shots of what iam talking about. the way games have it set up now with the rear aperture so far from the shooters eye make it almost impossible to be used efficiently. and for the AK type iron sights the same sort of problem occurs as the front/rear sight seems millions of miles away from the shooters eye. I would love it if you guys can get a LEO or current military personell to show you how to properly look down the sights of an AR and AK type platform. it really would be a huge plus to the game since most of the roles are forced to use iron sights.

love the game. hope it takes off and gets a whole lot better.

<3

here is an image that sort of shows what i mean, the rear aperture should be a blurry ring around your whole screen almost and the front iron sight should be quite large. As games are now the rear peep sight just serves as something to block your view of the target your trying to shoot at. If you have used these types of iron sights in real life it should be fairly easy to see. thanks for your time.

hqdefault.jpg

Epic old mil sim operation flashpoint did just that and it was actually quite good. Google some screenshots... 

On 2017-5-24 at 8:13 PM, SgtRoss said:

There is not a need to revive this thread, it has been discussed and is planned to be updated with the new animation system.

However, feel free to provide feedback when the new system is released.

Sounds good to me.

On 1/14/2016 at 3:05 PM, Crusader JgBtl292 said:

and what all games made is - a simple  rifle to the head ....   its wrong ...     head to the rifle and a inclined from a horizontal field of view  when irons sights are used !!!!!!!!

Your brain works with your vestibular system in your inner ear to compensate for any tilt in your vision, which it doesn't do when you view the world through a monitor. If you absolutely need the tilt to achieve realism, tilt your own head whenever you ADS in game.

1 hour ago, CaptCalvin said:

Your brain works with your vestibular system in your inner ear to compensate for any tilt in your vision, which it doesn't do when you view the world through a monitor. If you absolutely need the tilt to achieve realism, tilt your own head whenever you ADS in game.

Don't your eyes act as a Gyroscope and roll to counter this? 

1 hour ago, LMR Sahara said:

Don't your eyes act as a Gyroscope and roll to counter this? 

Yeah, the "gyroscope" in your inner ear senses what orientation your head is in relation to gravity. The brain takes this information and control the involuntary muscles around your eyeballs and roll them to compensate for the tilt. I've seen multiple times on these forums where someone will suggest tilting the FOV for ADS to add realism. That's an erroneous assumption.

What if the center of the sights wouldn't be in the middle of the screen? 

By this i mean move it more to the right so it would be more accurate place (right eye, instead in the middle of your nose).

Yes this would definitely feel weird at first, but after a while it should be "normal"

2 hours ago, Maamyyra said:

What if the center of the sights wouldn't be in the middle of the screen? 

By this i mean move it more to the right so it would be more accurate place (right eye, instead in the middle of your nose).

Yes this would definitely feel weird at first, but after a while it should be "normal"

Yeah and why not add a second image of the rifle on screen to account for what your other eye sees?

Jokes aside no having the sights in the center of the screen is a satisfactory compromise in a monoscopic world. Play with a stereoscopic setup like VR if you want that experience.

What's wrong being more accurate and at the same time you also get the benefit from wider view with your left eye?

How about customised  distance from sight,  everyone prefers  a different distance .