+1 Longsword

Iron Sights too far from in game player eye

hello! from my use of ar-15's and ak type platform rifles i must say the iron sights are much too small and extremely hard to use. they seem miles away from the shooters eye. this isnt the only game that does this. just about every single game i have ever played has had terrible m16 iron sights. the peep sight of the ar-15 should look like you are looking THROUGH it not at it. it is very hard to explain i will try to find some screen shots of what iam talking about. the way games have it set up now with the rear aperture so far from the shooters eye make it almost impossible to be used efficiently. and for the AK type iron sights the same sort of problem occurs as the front/rear sight seems millions of miles away from the shooters eye. I would love it if you guys can get a LEO or current military personell to show you how to properly look down the sights of an AR and AK type platform. it really would be a huge plus to the game since most of the roles are forced to use iron sights.

love the game. hope it takes off and gets a whole lot better.

<3

here is an image that sort of shows what i mean, the rear aperture should be a blurry ring around your whole screen almost and the front iron sight should be quite large. As games are now the rear peep sight just serves as something to block your view of the target your trying to shoot at. If you have used these types of iron sights in real life it should be fairly easy to see. thanks for your time.

hqdefault.jpg

Not to mention, the M4s are stuck on the incorrect rear sight aperture. I have never used or seen the low-light rear sight aperture used anywhere but in video games. I guess it's done to make things easier to see??

Agreed, the iron sight is hard to see at my maxed resolution. Its a blurry struggle. Seems like one pixel across with blur on each side.

Is this on purpose because where you focus is on target and not on iron sight, not sure myself.

EElkjaer   

I agree that it the rear sight should be somewhat more blurry, however I don't think that the sight seems too far away - Atleast using a C7A1(Modified M16).

I can remember talking with a developer at the end of the summer in game and he stated the models are indeed wrong and pretty much based on the original PR ones, so expect changes to them.

Assifuah   

Why do you think not many, if any at all, games have got it wrong? It's the limitation you have to put up with when it comes to video games.

If you had it the way you described / pictured it, you wouldn't have any screen space left for awareness purposes. They already have military advisers on the team, pretty much anything like this mentioned has been discussed by them.

Not everything is going to be 1:1 for the sake of "realism". A lot of things come down to gameplay being put first and if that means not getting iron sights right for the sake of being able to see the environment around you while aiming.. I'm sure the latter will win. :P

Brisk   

Have you been holding the sprint button (Shift by default) while in ADS mode? If not, please do and give us your feedback.

I agree that it the rear sight should be somewhat more blurry, however I don't think that the sight seems too far away - Atleast using a C7A1(Modified M16).

I'm not sure how it's taught in the Danish Military, but in the US military soldiers are taught to put their nose to the charging handle and shoot with both eyes open. It feels very natural to put your nose to the dust cover on AKs as well. It definitely should be a lot closer I'd say, and I'm holding an AR in my hands right now. 

yes i use the zoom function. its obvious that people like assifuah have never actually looked down the sights of an ar-15 or m16 rifle if you have you would understand that your target, then sight picture then situational awareness comes last. thats why you have squad mates. this isnt call of duty you dont just look down your sights and move around and do all that while looking down your sights. trust me a peep sight is useless unless its implelemented correctly and yes almost every single game has gotten peep sights wrong cept a few arma mods and such. go to a  shooting range, rent an ar-15 m16 clone and youll see how a peep sight actually works then get back to me.

yes i use the zoom function. its obvious that people like assifuah have never actually looked down the sights of an ar-15 or m16 rifle if you have you would understand that your target, then sight picture then situational awareness comes last. thats why you have squad mates. this isnt call of duty you dont just look down your sights and move around and do all that while looking down your sights. trust me a peep sight is useless unless its implelemented correctly and yes almost every single game has gotten peep sights wrong cept a few arma mods and such. go to a  shooting range, rent an ar-15 m16 clone and youll see how a peep sight actually works then get back to me.

AA2 did it well imo

k4WwrCi.jpg

NotBrad   

Though the distance from the eye is correct, the current implementation ignores the vastly wider field of view in real life as well as the blurry rear iron, that said I think what is really. Necessary is for them to allow partials transparent textures on the back of the sights when zoomed in, the same could be done for the acog and pso for the protrusions around the edges that aren't visible during one eye shooting irl, and aren't a hinderance when shooting with both eyes open

FishMan   

You guys are too crazy about real life. How about to just make it comfortable for player and thats all? And i mean closer to camera, because right now it is so god dam hard to aim, because the sight is too far...

I always have a feeling that I hold it at arm's length....

Also they can easily add a Deph Of Field, so that everything that close enough will become blured, i actually dont understand why they still dont implement this, i guess there is a reason but i am not sure which one...

NotBrad   

I don't care about realism except where additional realism would improve the immersion. Right now the acog is so disproportionate and in-accurate to what a real life acog is that I just can't use it, the reticle is too big, the front iron should be blurry, and there should be no visible protrusions on the side, whereas right now you can see the sides of the scope while aiming. If nothing else, at least bring back the PR scopes, I really liked the way they worked...

http://media.realitymod.com/news/pr095/trailer/3d_weapon_scopes.jpg

Skymo   

I realised something when you posted that PR screenshot: Please increase contrast and depth of colour ingame, currently the ingame world looks much too pale!

Sham3R   

I don't care about realism except where additional realism would improve the immersion. Right now the acog is so disproportionate and in-accurate to what a real life acog is that I just can't use it, the reticle is too big, the front iron should be blurry, and there should be no visible protrusions on the side, whereas right now you can see the sides of the scope while aiming. If nothing else, at least bring back the PR scopes, I really liked the way they worked...

http://media.realitymod.com/news/pr095/trailer/3d_weapon_scopes.jpg

Have you ever used the Trijicon RCO in real life? I used it at the Firing Range and in game. The reticle is correct, the only thing that would need to be "tweaked" is to ensure that the RCO's are actually Zero'ed That 500 horizontal line should be the width of an average human @ 500m https://gyazo.com/a043d71572428cfa6ec44efc4e4d5968 as shown in this SS of the USMC Rifle Qualification Data Book that I used while active duty. Granted that I am talking about the TA31RCO Which appears to be the RCO used as an "ACOG"

While the Optic in your SS is not the optic we are currently using. What would be nice is if there was the possibility of getting the M27 IAR with the TA11SDO ACOG instead of the SAW. Or at the very least changing that ugly red dot that would not be used due to the TA11SDO having a back up red dot on the top. ( Which is what my unit had for the Saw )

In Passing:

You wouldn't see your FSP when using the RCO or ACOG so why bring it up when looking through a RCO / ACOG? https://gyazo.com/ea0c94a9a83804e491e07911a69f27b1

I wouldn't mind if the sight was as big and as blurred as in the AA2 screenshot above when you're zoomed in with shift (to simulate that you can actually see more detail further out in real life than on a monitor), and as small as it is now when you're not zoomed in so that you don't loose peripheral vision in CQB.

Sham3R   

I wouldn't mind if the sight was as big and as blurred as in the AA2 screenshot above when you're zoomed in with shift (to simulate that you can actually see more detail further out in real life than on a monitor), and as small as it is now when you're not zoomed in so that you don't loose peripheral vision in CQB.

It does not actually "zoom" its a fixed x4 magnification optic in CQB you dont use the RCO / ACOG you use the ( bullet will go where i point ) method unless you actually have a CQB type of optic and a smaller rifle.

Have you ever used the Trijicon RCO in real life? I used it at the Firing Range and in game. The reticle is correct, the only thing that would need to be "tweaked" is to ensure that the RCO's are actually Zero'ed That 500 horizontal line should be the width of an average human @ 500m https://gyazo.com/a043d71572428cfa6ec44efc4e4d5968 as shown in this SS of the USMC Rifle Qualification Data Book that I used while active duty. Granted that I am talking about the TA31RCO Which appears to be the RCO used as an "ACOG"

While the Optic in your SS is not the optic we are currently using. What would be nice is if there was the possibility of getting the M27 IAR with the TA11SDO ACOG instead of the SAW. Or at the very least changing that ugly red dot that would not be used due to the TA11SDO having a back up red dot on the top. ( Which is what my unit had for the Saw )

In Passing:

You wouldn't see your FSP when using the RCO or ACOG so why bring it up when looking through a RCO / ACOG? https://gyazo.com/ea0c94a9a83804e491e07911a69f27b1

I own a TA-33 ACOG personally and a buddy of mine owns a TA-31 (chevron reticle, but it's in green) and I've got to say that the reticle is indeed a little big, but that's only because the entire reticle is solid red rather than being what it is in real life, which is a very small solid red chevron with a semi-transparent radiant glow around it that is given off by the fiber optic.On top of that, I believe that the bullet drop compensation reticle is a bit too long as well (I know on mine the drop compensation chart is maybe an inch long at best. The number on the top of the chart is too small in my opinion, as well.) Other parts of the optic that are incorrect include: the field of view (the FOV on the Ta-31/M150 is astounding and in game that's just not present. The FOV of the M150 in game is substantially smaller than my Ta-33 in real life, which is substantially smaller than the Ta-31 in real life. Also, I agree with him that you shouldn't be able to see the sides of the optic because in reality your eye has to be less than 1.5" away from the scope to get proper eye relief, meaning that all you should see is the blur of the housing around the lens and then your surroundings (because you still do have a great field of view of what's going on to the left and right of you thanks to the Bindon Aiming Concept 

The optic in his screenshot might not be exactly the same, but that is the classic ACOG reticle that came on the TA01NSN and is still available on most models.  I believe his photo is using the British in-game TA-31 RCO model. I also would like to see the T-11SDO in game on the M249 (though the Ta-31 is occasionally mounted on the M249 as well). That being said, I do believe the most commonly-used optic for the M240 (which I assume will make an appearance in game) is the TA-648 with an RMR up top. If the devs feel that x6 is overkill on a GPMG, they could also use the Elcan M14 MGO (though I personally hate those things for their clunky reticle.)

The last point I can't agree with enough. at less than x4 you might be able to see the reticle a bit due to blur (I know I can see it on my TA-33) but anything above x3 and you shouldn't be able to see the front sight post at all. Overall I think the devs have a lot to work on with the ACOG, but it's an alpha and what they've got now is a good start and is perfectly usable. 

NotBrad   

In Passing:

I now realize that the reticle and front sight post have been addressed, but the thickness of the housing is unrealistic, as well as the interference of the large metal housing behind where the windage turrets are. That is my gripe.

Sham3R   

I own a TA-33 ACOG personally and a buddy of mine owns a TA-31 (chevron reticle, but it's in green) and I've got to say that the reticle is indeed a little big, but that's only because the entire reticle is solid red rather than being what it is in real life, which is a very small solid red chevron with a semi-transparent radiant glow around it that is given off by the fiber optic.On top of that, I believe that the bullet drop compensation reticle is a bit too long as well (I know on mine the drop compensation chart is maybe an inch long at best. The number on the top of the chart is too small in my opinion, as well.) Other parts of the optic that are incorrect include: the field of view (the FOV on the Ta-31/M150 is astounding and in game that's just not present. The FOV of the M150 in game is substantially smaller than my Ta-33 in real life, which is substantially smaller than the Ta-31 in real life. Also, I agree with him that you shouldn't be able to see the sides of the optic because in reality your eye has to be less than 1.5" away from the scope to get proper eye relief, meaning that all you should see is the blur of the housing around the lens and then your surroundings (because you still do have a great field of view of what's going on to the left and right of you thanks to the Bindon Aiming Concept 

The optic in his screenshot might not be exactly the same, but that is the classic ACOG reticle that came on the TA01NSN and is still available on most models.  I believe his photo is using the British in-game TA-31 RCO model. I also would like to see the T-11SDO in game on the M249 (though the Ta-31 is occasionally mounted on the M249 as well). That being said, I do believe the most commonly-used optic for the M240 (which I assume will make an appearance in game) is the TA-648 with an RMR up top. If the devs feel that x6 is overkill on a GPMG, they could also use the Elcan M14 MGO (though I personally hate those things for their clunky reticle.)

The last point I can't agree with enough. at less than x4 you might be able to see the reticle a bit due to blur (I know I can see it on my TA-33) but anything above x3 and you shouldn't be able to see the front sight post at all. Overall I think the devs have a lot to work on with the ACOG, but it's an alpha and what they've got now is a good start and is perfectly usable. 

Ew, the Elcan is a monster ( Ugly as Hell ) of an optic lol. I think its due to in real life we would put black electric tape over the top where it collected light to brighten the red portion of the reticle. Overall, it is still an Alpha and the starting point that they have right now works and that's what matters to me.

Also.

I have my FoV set at 80 and it usually doesn't bother me when using the RCO / ACOG. Granted usually when I'm using the RCO / ACOG M4 I typically play as a DMR role instead of your run of the mill bullet sponge.

Ew, the Elcan is a monster ( Ugly as Hell ) of an optic lol. I think its due to in real life we would put black electric tape over the top where it collected light to brighten the red portion of the reticle. Overall, it is still an Alpha and the starting point that they have right now works and that's what matters to me.

Also.

I have my FoV set at 80 and it usually doesn't bother me when using the RCO / ACOG. Granted usually when I'm using the RCO / ACOG M4 I typically play as a DMR role instead of your run of the mill bullet sponge.

Yeah, it's pretty a pretty damn horrible, outdated optic. As for the ACOG, yeah a lot of people do put electrica/100mph tape over the top to stop the fiber optic from taking in too much light, but if you do that the reticle is significantly smaller than it is in game because it won't be lit up as well. As you and I have said, it's an alpha and while what they've got now isn't pretty it's still usable.

It does not actually "zoom" its a fixed x4 magnification optic in CQB you dont use the RCO / ACOG you use the ( bullet will go where i point ) method unless you actually have a CQB type of optic and a smaller rifle.

I was talking about using shift with the irons too zoom in, not optics.