Sign in to follow this  
Tartanclad

[Aesthetic Suggestion] FOB Flagpoles

Hello chaps. Just a thought for future FOB construction ideas, but please don't take it too seriously. This could largely be considered an ‘aesthetic’ idea. In particular, I am suggesting the idea of a flagpole that can built in the FOB area, to create some exciting stories during gameplay. 

Below is a list of bullet points for this idea: 

• The Flagpole has no intended functional use. The idea is to create atmosphere in a game.
  • They are quick to build.
  • Only 1 flagpole can be built in a single FOB radius.
  • Flagpoles could be very easy to make. About 10 build points.
  • Once built, a squad leader can hold ‘F’ on it to hoist his faction’s flag.
  • Enemy squad leaders may hold ‘F’ to replace the flag with their own.
  • Only squad leaders can interact with the flagpole.
  • No FOB is needed to hoist the flag - only to build the flagpole.
  • FOBs placed in very obvious areas, such as on heavily fortified, walled objectives, would be ideal for flagpoles as there is little drawback to building them.
  • FOBs ideally intended to be hidden would, for obvious reasons, not feature flagpoles, or any FOB structures, as one should expect.
  • A really clever squad leader could even use them as decoys in urban or forested environments.
  • There doesn't even need to be an animation for hoisting. Just swap the flag's appearance, if neccesary.

Imagine the following scenario in a game; 

A US team build a FOB on the peaks. The bunkers are so visible, that the squad leader decides ‘Why not? Let’s build a flag on top. It takes 2 seconds’. Now, sometime later in the game, the Militia decide they are fed up of being shot at from the mountains - that American flag taunting them as ACOGs pick them off. An epic battle ensues, with the militia slowly gaining ground up the hill until that point when everyone a mile away can see the Stars and Stripes removed from the pole and the militia flag raised above the peak. That satisfying moment of victory in seeing the enemy’s flag pulled down, while the enemy themselves report the loss of their FOB.

Another scenario;

The Russians and insurgents are assaulting a town within the valley from either side. The street fighting is chaotic with door to door fighting and, in the middle of the town, within the fob radius, that Russian flag placed on the school, begins to fall, and the insurgent flag is hoisted. Fortunately, the Russians were careful enough to have their actual fob further back, in another building, but they know now that the insurgents hold the school, taunting them with their own flagpole; The Russians have to retake the town anyway but, on pride if nothing else, they will see their own flag fly from that pole again, even if it took another 20 minutes of fighting.

I wonder what you lot think? I realise that it would be a low priority, and certainly not something I’d expect to see anytime soon, but it was just a thought. I understand that flags being hoisted over Forward Operating Bases in Afghanistan and Iraq were not uncommon; certainly not those that were intended to establish an overt influence in the region, both in the interest of local presence and aerial identification, so it wouldn’t be particularly unrealistic. The idea, at it’s heart, was just to help players have more of those epic moments that Squad does so well.

Cheers!

This would encourage the Lego / Minecraft / turtle / fobiots but...

I am all for it - fly a flag please, make it easier to find you, and begin the murder.

Worst case scenario we have to spend some time tearing useless FOBs down on our own team side. 

I say do it - fun for everyone!

please don't add flagpoles. like if every military objective ever needed to have a flagpole in it. this ain't battlefield 1942.

''oh we gotta capture this swamp let's look for the flagpole!'' super realistic stuff here.

please don't add flagpoles. like if every military objective ever needed to have a flagpole in it. this ain't battlefield 1942.

''oh we gotta capture this swamp let's look for the flagpole!'' super realistic stuff here.

You didn't read the suggestion which is the ability to construct flags in FOBs.

You didn't read the suggestion which is the ability to construct flags in FOBs.

sorry didn't take the time to read it correctly which now after reading it changed my mind a bit more.

pretty good idea tough I think this could crowd the building menu a lot more since they will be adding static emplacements and such as well.

as long as they keep it organized on the HUD and easy to use, yeah why not.

pretty good idea tough I think this could crowd the building menu a lot more since they will be adding static emplacements and such as well.

as long as they keep it organized on the HUD and easy to use, yeah why not.

Indeed. That will be the main issue, (plus the animation for the flags themselves).

I'll be interested to see what the developers have in mind for the FOB interface as more FOB equipment is introduced into the game. Then we'll know if this idea is compatible with their vision.

But probably not any soon.

I agree, it's hardly a priority. Though, one hopes it's an idea that lasts.