MauserGDog

SQUAD and Ultra Wide Monitors

Would it be to much to ask for pictures of the screen running squad ?

All this ultra wide screen madness is making me nippy :P If next gen amd/nvidia gpu's are strong enough im going all in on this.

The image quality would be my concern. If you have a 34" screen you can have 2560x1080 pixels to cover that area, or 3440x1440 pixes to cover the area. Same goes for any size monitor in different resolutions.

Screenshots never do things justice, it would be really beneficial if you could try one, or better yet both. Also i feel at 1440 you don't need to run any AA, but that's probably a preference thing.

The image quality would be my concern. If you have a 34" screen you can have 2560x1080 pixels to cover that area, or 3440x1440 pixes to cover the area. Same goes for any size monitor in different resolutions.

Screenshots never do things justice, it would be really beneficial if you could try one, or better yet both. Also i feel at 1440 you don't need to run any AA, but that's probably a preference thing.

Im fully aware of this, it will get grainy especially on desktop.

It's just that 3440x1440 puts massive strain on the GPU, and even with a 980ti many titles will not run with decent FPS(60+)

Ah 25" fair enough I guess, I was just thinking of 34"

McCracken I have a 980ti also and haven't come across performance issues in any games yet. I don't play that many, the worst performer right now is probably project cars for me.

Fallout 4 and rainbow six siege are the 2 newest games I've tried, works brilliantly...right up until I deleted siege as is a steaming pile of crap.

Ah 25" fair enough I guess, I was just thinking of 34"

McCracken I have a 980ti also and haven't come across performance issues in any games yet. I don't play that many, the worst performer right now is probably project cars for me.

Fallout 4 and rainbow six siege are the 2 newest games I've tried, works brilliantly...right up until I deleted siege as is a steaming pile of crap.

Okay, maybe its not as bad as i thought. Will keep an eye on the Ultra' and next gen gpu for next upgrade. For now i will stick with my xl2411z 144hz.

It's just that 3440x1440 puts massive strain on the GPU, and even with a 980ti many titles will not run with decent FPS(60+)

I disagree. My 980ti gets 70-80 constant in GTA V maxed, 60 constant in Witcher 3 max and around 80-90 in Fallout 4 max.

I don't agree with 1080 being a bad idea with UW. I got my 2560x1080 screen for 180€, new. It's probably the best purchase I've made in a long time. When 1440 or higher UW monitors are these cheap I'll get one, but until then there's nothing wrong with 1080 UW screens, specially for the price. Also, going up in resolution requires a higher end gpu, I'm still doing just great with an aging gtx 670. Will see what nvidia pasacal brings though.

Getting 1080 ultrawide really defeats the point of having an ultrawide. The difference between 16:9 1080 and 21:9 1080 is minimal. Going from 16:9 1080 to 21:9 1440 however is much different. You have twice as many pixels and there much much more screen real-estate. You need to under stand the size in inches of a monitor isn't the only thing that dictates the amount of room you have. The price reflects this and it's why 21:9 1080 is dirt cheap, because it's nothing like the real mccoy of 1440p 21:9. The idea of getting 1080 UW goes against the entire point of an UW monitor which is more room/wider angle. For instance a 16:9 1440p monitor is actually bigger than a 21:9 1080p monitor....

1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels and 16:9, on a 25inch = around 88ppi

2560x1080 = 2764800 pixels and 21:9, on a 25inch = around 111ppi

So 700k more pixels and a faaaar greater pixel density is "minimal"  ;)... right.

You're being a bit elitist, so let me retort.. 1440p ultrawide is nothing like the real mccoy of  5120×2160p 21:9 and it really defeats the point of having an ultrawide screen, that's why it's so dirt cheap compared to 2160p screens.  :P

Edited, just for the lulz:

3440x1440 34inch = 109ppi  :lol:

I'm going to revive this thread after watching this very helpful (and current) youtube review of the latest version of LG's ultra wide curved offering.

There's actually a nice little SQUAD plug in this video at the 6:45 mark!

His overall conclusion is part encouraging and part discouraging for me and how I'd like to use a monitor like this.

80% of the time I'd be working with Autocad/pdf's, usually with a movie playing in the background. So for that use, the only real benefit is all windows would be closer to the middle of my vision (I currently have 2nd monitor offset to right side, while primary screen is right in front of me)

The remaining 20% of the time I'll be gaming, which means my new system is going to need serious horsepower to push the higher resolution on a panel this big.

At this point I guess anyone committing to these monitors are early adapters and need to shell out $1000 +/- to get in the game.

If anyone who has already posted in this thread with their Ultra Wide experiences, or anyone new to the Ultra wide game would like to chime in, I'd really appreciate it! My gut tells me I'm going to spend the money just to satisfy my curiosity, I'm a sucker for this cool shit!

6 hours ago, MauserGDog said:

I'm going to revive this thread after watching this very helpful (and current) youtube review of the latest version of LG's ultra wide curved offering.

https://youtu.be/O8ucKubyFxQ

Have the Predator. Works well for me with squad. Looks stunning.

First thing i did though was put it on extreme mode. Turned out it runs smoother on normal mode.

On 4/8/2016 at 6:44 PM, Mellanbror said:

https://youtu.be/O8ucKubyFxQ

Have the Predator. Works well for me with squad. Looks stunning.

First thing i did though was put it on extreme mode. Turned out it runs smoother on normal mode.

That's a serious monitor for sure, and significantly more money than other options.

I'm going to keep an eye on things over the summer and build this fall, hoping that a drop in some GPU's, CPU's and other parts will increase my monitor budget!

Do you have first hand experience with any of the other ultrawide monitor options?

Widescreen owns, playing eyefinity widescreen 1x24" and 1x22" @ 3840x1080, works well and can recommend!

For myself maybe plan on buying another 60hz screen for 5760x1080 triple eyefinity but a single widescreen would be even more epic to have as center screen!

@ 40fps optimized settings epic 105 resolution

Cpu usage in full server 40-60 percent

GPU usage in full server @ 80 percent

CPU: 5Ghz FX-9590

GPU: R9 280

MOB: 990FX 2.0

Edited by MDInteractive

MDInteractive, let's see some pics bro!

It's very tempting to jump into the more affordable 1080 ultra wide monitors available right now, but I know come new Pc build time, I will regret spending that $500 on a non 1440 display when I have the power to push the higher res.

Although the wife could always use an ultrawide for her work pc......;)

On 2016-04-11 at 4:29 PM, MauserGDog said:

Do you have first hand experience with any of the other ultrawide monitor options?

Sry, I do not. 

I didn't have a computer for two years and got it all new now just for SQUAD. 

Had I had a decent monitor I'd probably would have waited for when 3440x1440 has 144 mhz and 1 ms. 

Don't know if it really make a difference for SQUAD, especially after v5, less of a twitch shooter now. 

4 hours ago, Mellanbror said:

I didn't have a computer for two years and got it all new now just for SQUAD.

Well it sounds like you have a sweet setup, are you using a 980 GPU?

6 hours ago, MauserGDog said:

Well it sounds like you have a sweet setup, are you using a 980 GPU?

yup, the 6gb version and a 6700 Skylake.

18 hours ago, Mellanbror said:

yup, the 6gb version and a 6700 Skylake.

Beast Mode!!! ;) Buy once cry once, as they say.

On 12-4-2016 at 4:07 PM, MauserGDog said:

MDInteractive, let's see some pics bro!

It's very tempting to jump into the more affordable 1080 ultra wide monitors available right now, but I know come new Pc build time, I will regret spending that $500 on a non 1440 display when I have the power to push the higher res.

Although the wife could always use an ultrawide for her work pc......;)

Yes I would try getting a 1440p monitor wide screen but do note, squad and gpu support artificial resolution scaling. You can push 1440p or 2k, 4k higher res on a large 1080p monitor in essentially with game res and options like super resolution. It looks really good if your rig can handle it anyways. Would be perhaps more wise to get a 200 hz or 120hz extreme low latency large widescreen monitor if you have that fps power. Resolution can be created and to spend 500 dollars more for just a bit more pixels? go for low latency and hz is probably better visually or larger size of monitor.

That is at least what I would recommend! If you really wanna spend something for resolution wait a bit then go for a 4k monitor on summer sales or after summer. Curved super wide those are so nice and they are lowering in price. Just a question of time when you can pick them up cheaply.

GL!

Edited by MDInteractive

2 minutes ago, MDInteractive said:

Yes I would try getting a 1440p monitor wide screen but do note, squad and gpu support artificial resolution scaling. You can push 1440p or 2k, 4k higher res on a large 1080p monitor in essentially with game res and options like super resolution. It looks really good if your rig can handle it anyways. Would be perhaps more wise to get a 200 hz or 120hz extreme low latency large widescreen monitor if you have that fps power. Resolution can be created and to spend 500 dollars more for just a bit more pixels? go for low latency and hz is probably better visually esp in squad. Good quality screen etc.

That is at least what I would recommend! If you really wanna spend something for resolution wait a bit then go for a 4k monitor on summer sales or after summer.

GL!

Ok, now I'm totally confused! :)

How can I have 1440p res on a 1080p display?

9 minutes ago, MauserGDog said:

Ok, now I'm totally confused! :)

How can I have 1440p res on a 1080p display?

Nvidia feature dunno what its called but for AMD it's virtual super resolution and Squad game resolution. Both are gpu related which basically double the resolution. This is software based resolution up scale but in reality; it works and is good to go if you have the rig to push it at 200 / 150 game res. 

Yeah it means you can buy a 50" inch super 1080p full hd monitor for 50 bucks and artificially play at ultra hi def.

It looks really good from afar your eyes create that detail anyways. 

:) its more matter of hz and latency and size that you wanna invest in keep squad super smooth when you play.

Edited by MDInteractive

I'll resurrect this thread once more because I'm sold on Ultrawide, and can assure you that if you're considering UW for Squad, you will not be disappointed! ASUS ROG PG348Q" 3440x1440 @100hz w/Zotac gtx1080 Extreme keeps Squad and even Gorodok running like I hoped it would.

20170314_002319_003_zps3dr58nrm.jpg

I rolled the dice and grabbed a refurbished model (newegg Canada) and got lucky. Zero dead pixels, near mint condition and I saved almost $700. So Canadian buyers keep an eye on newegg if you're not in a rush because I've seen that deal a few times now.

Noticeable affect right away was I use my mouse much less (better for wrist) and scan the extra peripheral with my eyes. It's relaxing and the immersion is real.

With GSync, I hope I've bought into technology that extends the effective life of my GPU/PC by keeping future games smoother for longer. Doesn't matter though, since I'll still just be playing Squad in 5 years, riiiiiight? ;)

For day to day use, Ultrawide is taking some getting used to, and I still use a 2nd screen which now looks like shit. It's a totally different desktop situation and a real adjustment, but it's really nice. Autocad, Premiere & browsers look perfectly straight, so for me the curve seems to be the way to go with UW.

20170314_002342_zps1ndnhwu6.jpg

I am officially on the UW bandwagon.

Edited by MauserGDog

@MauserGDog

Damn! That looks amazing! 

If only I had around 3k to spend on my setup... xD

About to purchase the S340 Elite actually, can you give me your thoughts on the case?

@Nikko B

Buy it! Almost perfect case IMO. Only negative is the case thumb screws are really soft and will bend/strip eventually but could be swapped out. The 4x that hold the glass are perfect though.

It fit a huge GPU & Noctura air cooler with just millimeters to the glass, but it worked. I replaced the case fans and added 2x more 140mm up front with Noctura's grey fans and it's really quiet.

I've been using Full Form Factor cases for too long, mid is the way to go!

Edited by MauserGDog

@MauserGDog
Thanks man, I'm definitely looking forward to it. Using the Thermaltake Corev21, and man, do I hate it. Can't wait for an upgrade. My goal is all about cable management, and having a presentable computer to sit on my desk.