MauserGDog

SQUAD and Ultra Wide Monitors

Wondering if anyone can comment with first hand (or accurate second hand) experiences playing Squad on an Ultra Wide monitor? I'm slowly putting my wishlist together for a new system, been doing some reading on Ultra Wide monitors and I'm intrigued. I'm sold on the concept for my work-work, just wondering if Squad supports the Ultra Wide format.

Examples of what I'm looking at:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-34um95-p-34in-ultrawide-qhd-94-97392-1295.htm#CustomerReviews

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-34um67-p-34in-ultrawide-ips-ef-106977-1295.htm

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend ultra wide, unless a living room environment... But http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black-silver/8176078.p?id=1218864997552&skuId=8176078will preform the best at all needs. (This is what I have)..

Save 600 dollars and buy more shit for your PC.

You can't be for real. The guy is looking for a 34"ish and you link to a 23" screen :D

@MauserGDog I think I have seen someone asking for the same thing. But people play in 4K so 21:9 can't be any problem. I for my self owned a 21:9 few years ago and I diden't have any problem in games. 

You can be for real. The guy is looking for a 34"ish and you link to a 23" screen :D

@MauserGDog I think I have seen someone asking for the same thing. But people play in 4K so 21:9 can't be any problem. I for my self owned a 21:9 few years ago and I diden't have any problem in games. 

Not only does he link to a 23". Its a link to best buy lmao. Way over priced.

Ultra wide looks so sick with FPS games! But damn, 3440x1440 is massive, you better have a good rig, Squad is quite demanding on CPU/GPU.

Can you please post some pictures here of the screen while it runs squad  ?

Im also looking into gettting an ultra wide 28-30" as the next monitor.

Playing on 34" 3440x1440.

Got a good rig. Looks good. Do not expect 100 FPS. Getting 55 and downwards to 40-35.

Playing around with settings in game only.

Downside is that voip box still is corner left and hard to catch.

CPU 6700

GPU 980ti

32 Ram

SSD

Playing on 34" 3440x1440.

Got a good rig. Looks good. Do not expect 100 FPS. Getting 55 and downwards to 40-35.

Playing around with settings in game only.

Downside is that voip box still is corner left and hard to catch.

CPU 6700

GPU 980ti

32 Ram

SSD

Oh wow, I've under estimated what it would take to push games at 1440 me thinks! That's about where my build is going to land, but even the 980 is on the chopping block when I look at dollar for dollar power compared to the 960.

And while I have your attention Mellanbror, how does Squad react to the ultra wide format? Does it just fill the aspect ratio on it's own, or is it a FOV adjustment?

What monitor do you have exactly? (if you'd care to share that info)

Thanks for posting, I'd LOVE to see some screenshots! ;)

I wouldn't recommend ultra wide, unless a living room environment... But http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black-silver/8176078.p?id=1218864997552&skuId=8176078will preform the best at all needs. (This is what I have)..

Save 600 dollars and buy more shit for your PC.

Thanks Captain, but I'm looking for an upgrade, potentially ultra wide.

I use a 2560x1080 25inch LG screen, love it. Game runs great. Not going back to 16:9 anytime soon.

I use a 2560x1080 25inch LG screen, love it. Game runs great. Not going back to 16:9 anytime soon.

Would like to see how squad handles aspect ratios and FOV compared to 1920x1080 default FOV.

Do you mind posting a picture of the screen running squad ? :)

I play on a 21:9 Ultrawide and I think it's great. The map takes up a fraction of my screen-space which is fantastic. Looking at my clips in Premiere Pro at 16:9 feels very claustrophobic, the 21:9 feels very immersive and it works brilliant in Squad. One of the best games for Ultrawide in my opinion as it's so realistic. It makes the game scary... 

Not sure if this is allowed, if not delete it. But I will be uploading a compilation video of 21:9 Squad highlights in the next few days so might be worth keeping an eye on my channel: www.youtube.com/user/KrimboPlays

Here's a quick imgur album of some examples, although these are just screen grabs from video footage and they aren't at 3440x1440 but you get the point: http://imgur.com/a/3OfOQ

EDIT: I'll try get some 3440x1440 screenshots tomorrow if I can. Although my university deadline is Monday so I shouldn't play.... but I probably will anyway...

3440X1440 here, 4790k and GTX980ti. The performance you're getting told about is due to the game itself, we'll see more frames once some issues are sorted out.

The pics below show 55-60odd FPS... i get same on full server on a 1920x1080 screen. So it's not a result of pushing too many pixels.

Squad works great is ultrawide, FOV up to 120 , i run 110-115, can see A LOT more of whats going on around you.

You'll love sitting on Fool's Road watching the mine flag, being able to see all of it at once clearly and easily :)

The map doesn't take up much space on screen so you can have it open a lot more and still easily see what's happening infront of you. I was on the fence for a while, made the jump, now 16:9 monitors feel terrible.

I have the LG 34UC97, i think that's the model anyway. I came from a 144hz TN panel so i noticed the slower response time and i do slightly miss 144hz, however Squad is not the kind of game that NEEDS that.

Counter-Strike, yes i'd be back on 144hz TN panel is a heartbeat.

Images have been turned into jpeg and so actual ingame quality is better than you see here.

3KwbgbU.jpg

YABwABg.jpg

mSWP1d4.jpg

put  .jpg or whatever your extension is on the end of your imgur url.

ie http://i.imgur.com/mSWP1d4.jpginstead of just http://i.imgur.com/mSWP1d4

I would have bought the X34 in a heart beat but i couldn't find one here in Vietnam. My other option was to bring one from Malaysia myself which is easy enough but warranty issues etc.

100hz in ultrawide would be nice though.

edit: the first image is with my sweetFX preset, so it's sharper and more bloom.

WFNaW7V.jpg

Testing :)

Edit: Thx Gonzo

Keep hearing that CPU is bottleneck,dont see mine reaching that high in procentage. Where as my GPU is at

a constant +95%. Mostly on 99%.

It's apparently down to the animation system, so higher player count = worse performance right now.

ie in training range or alone in a server i can get as high as 180fps, join a 72 man server and get as low as 50. I stick to the 50-60p servers like [303rd].

Another couple of ultrawide screenshot to keep it on topic :)

VPSY3gC.jpg

LiCnmPg.jpg

Thank you a thousand times over for those screens guys!

I'm sold on the ultra wide, now to find the right one.

Thank you a thousand times over for those screens guys!

I'm sold on the ultra wide, now to find the right one.

Well I have only picked mine up a few weeks back and I done plenty of research, from what I could gather here is the best to worst (1440 only, didn't look at 1080):

Best: Predator X34

Good: Dell U34 or Samsung S34

Average: AOC U34 (I have this) or newer LG's

Lower than average: Early LG's

The LG's have notorious issues with light bleeding and the build quality is noticeably worse than all of the other brands currently making these monitors. 

Just get the best you can afford, obviously the price increases as the screens are better. I would recommend the Dell if you can stretch to it, I would have got that if I didn't get a cracking deal on my AOC.

Hope that might help.

Thanks Wolfboy, that is helpful.

I've looked at the 1080p models, and while the price is right I think I'd regret no getting a 1440.

I echo what wolfboy said, 1080 is a bad idea for UW.

The new high refresh, low response panels are really expensive, but i would have got one if i could buy easily in vn. I do notice the lower response times and lower refresh rates of my monitor - again in squad its not a big deal but in faster shooters it feels like a disadvantage over a fast panel.

I'm on a LG 34UC97, quite an early model - far from the best. I may have been lucky or as it's old it's the later batch, no light bleed issues. The stand it comes with is quite low quality, if u bump the desk it wobbles a lot haha.

The speakers are pretty good actually, but use headphones for gaming anyway.

The best thing would be if you could find a shop with demos and try them.

One thing that isn't obvious, if you get a curved monitor  (like mine) the packaging has a curved section, put the screen on that to assemble stand, etc - you don't want to sit these face down on a flat table! This is mentioned in the instructions, but nobody reads that :)

I don't agree with 1080 being a bad idea with UW. I got my 2560x1080 screen for 180€, new. It's probably the best purchase I've made in a long time. When 1440 or higher UW monitors are these cheap I'll get one, but until then there's nothing wrong with 1080 UW screens, specially for the price. Also, going up in resolution requires a higher end gpu, I'm still doing just great with an aging gtx 670. Will see what nvidia pasacal brings though.

I don't agree with 1080 being a bad idea with UW. I got my 2560x1080 screen for 180€, new. It's probably the best purchase I've made in a long time. When 1440 or higher UW monitors are these cheap I'll get one, but until then there's nothing wrong with 1080 UW screens, specially for the price. Also, going up in resolution requires a higher end gpu, I'm still doing just great with an aging gtx 670. Will see what nvidia pasacal brings though.

Would it be to much to ask for pictures of the screen running squad ?

All this ultra wide screen madness is making me nippy :P If next gen amd/nvidia gpu's are strong enough im going all in on this.