ShakeWeight

Progression / Growth Idea

Hello SQUAD world, I'm ShakeWeight! After countless hours of googling' and research of SQUAD, from what I have learned there really isn't a sense of 'PROGRESSION / GROWTH' in the game. When I (and players I have asked on this topic) play games we love to see some sort of achievement.. not only in a W or mere stats, but also progression. A few buddys of mine and myself have talked about ideas of growth as : having more experience in the game/growth.. the more options you get with weapons / weapon addons / classes * Sometimes you just don't want that first time player as a pilot* / higher growth, faster build (or perks) / character customization. It seems if there is not much of progression at the end of the day.. then it (to me) seems "Well that was fun for a week, now what" type feel. Of course I am aware ALOT of war games will have the same function, but the growth allows me to want to continue playing to 'get better / see whats next / and... unlock unlock unlock'.

I apologize if this has been a reoccurring  theme or topic, but what I am aware.. it is not. Thank you for allowing me to place my input and I hope to see what is to come with "Progression / Grownth" !

-ShakeWeight 

(to me) seems "Well that was fun for a week, now what" type feel.

I play Squad for the teamwork and coordination, and there is never a single match EVER where it is the same thing twice. Ever.

'Progression' is a cheap and shallow way to keep people engaged.

I play Squad for the teamwork and coordination, and there is never a single match EVER where it is the same thing twice. Ever.

'Progression' is a cheap and shallow way to keep people engaged.

I see where you are coming from, progression can be an urk in people nerves when you want to be in a 'vanilla' type game. When you, weeks from now, are still playing.. I feel that you will not have the same feeling towards the game as you do now. Having progression allows you to work towards something.. YES teamwork is nice, but a sense of personal achievement from acquiring  something someone ELSE may not have.. that's an extra plus..say a new reticle, sight for the sniper, vehicle perks, it does not have to be MAJOR GAME CHANGING. As I stated before it is totally IMO and greatly appreciate your view on it as well.

This is what seperate the gameplay style of PR and now Squad from other titles, the game puts all its focus on creating a superior enviroment where gameplay can unfold. Its not the upgrades or ranks that will keep you comming back into this game, its the stories, thousand and thousands of unique stories, each a little adventure in itself, but together creates a truly unique game with unlimited replayability.

There is a reason why Project reality still have 600-800 players on an average day, and that mod/game is over 10 years old now, and have never included any sort of progression.

If you use the forum search function for progression or customization you'll find multiple threads about this topic.

But in terms of your suggestion, it's like IRONXBAY said, you play the game for the gameplay. Progression is fine for a lot of games with a focus on the individual but because Squad is about teamwork then locking aspects behind a progression treadmill will ultimately hurt the overall experience as newer players are unable to work as efficiently as older.

There will eventually be steam achievements but not much more.

"

: having more experience in the game/growth.. the more options you get with weapons / weapon addons / classes *

Why should anyone with more playtime have more toys than the other guy with less time ? It makes no sense and is not fair.

I agree with the others, the important thing in this game is teamwork and immersion, not perks, unlocks, ranks and what else one can think off...theese things dont add to good gameplay, its ego stuff that takes focus away from what its all about and it makes the game less fair.

Im still wondering why people wants to turn unique game into another run`n`gun`n`rank`n`customize` title.

Its ok as it is now. Simplicity is what makes Squad unique. Every player rely on communication and not on stupid ranks, 3d spotting, scopes, weapon camos etc. At the beginning of each round, you have same status as any other player in game. Without any advantage. And thats fair and beautiful.

Im still wondering why people wants to turn unique game into another run`n`gun`n`rank`n`customize` title.

Its ok as it is now. Simplicity is what makes Squad unique. Every player rely on communication and not on stupid ranks, 3d spotting, scopes, weapon camos etc. At the beginning of each round, you have same status as any other player in game. Without any advantage. And thats fair and beautiful.

Valid point, what should be a good addition would be persistent stats though (like the kickstarter goal stated) so you can track your own and other players skill level and personal progression (stuff like general k/d, time in vehicles, hit ratio, time as squadleader and other relevant information). Maybe also include some fancy graphs, because who doesnt love graphs.

What negative outcome is there if say.. you accumulate points to adjust the look / skin to blend in more to the backround.. / perks to your vehicle to make it take more explosive damage / give your player more of a symbol as a leader then just the icon.. IE: deeper cammos coordinated with the scenery, face paint , higher build limit, etc.. 

@Calibre these are all ideas, not something to give total "Advantage" persay.. and I stand behind  'You play hard / win more, you are recognized for it' it does NOT have to be in advantage but in personal appearence / weapon camo.

What negative outcome is there if say.. you accumulate points to adjust the look / skin to blend in more to the backround.. / perks to your vehicle to make it take more explosive damage / give your player more of a symbol as a leader then just the icon.. IE: deeper cammos coordinated with the scenery, face paint , higher build limit, etc..

@Calibre these are all ideas, not something to give total "Advantage" persay.. and I stand behind 'You play hard / win more, you are recognized for it' it does NOT have to be in advantage but in personal appearence / weapon camo.

Imo player specific perks to vehicles is a extremly bad idea.

Not to be too pessimistic to your ideas Shake, but this game does not need distractions from the main gameplay like you are suggesting. Perks, unlocks, 1000+ skins does not add anything and only takes development hours away from more important tasks like more variation and stability/performance improvements.

i dont want to buy a game and then have to grind my way through hundreds of hours just to access something that was aready included in the game.

Hey, its an idea section for a reason :). No worries what so ever just a thought from a crew of people.

ofc :) but all ideas are open for scrutiny ;)

I hate the progression system in RO2, (you must reach level 50 with the PPSh-41 to get the variant they actally used in Stalingrad, what the fuck!) I'd hate a progression system in Squad even if it was purely cosmetic.

When you play and get better in a well made game you will feel progress as you grow as a player. Your knowledge, skills and tactics will improve. A progression system is nothing but a substitute for compelling gameplay and there are more than enough multiplayer titles that can hold on to a huge playerbase by simply being good games.

I feel that you will not have the same feeling towards the game as you do now.

You couldn't be more wrong. Many of us have been constantly playing Project Reality for years. There's not a hint of progression in that game.

I wouldnt be opposed to getting things "unlocked" by achieving something within a game however.

Say "capturing the ammo dump" actually acts as a Resupply Point. Or someday when theres logistics, capturing things could do something like that for you. That kind of "progression and growth" I dont mind.

I dont want XP though. "Persistence" as they call it.

What negative outcome is there if say.. you accumulate points to adjust the look / skin to blend in more to the background.. / perks to your vehicle to make it take more explosive damage / give your player more of a symbol as a leader then just the icon.. IE: deeper cammos coordinated with the scenery, face paint , higher build limit, etc..

The negative outcome is that people join the game not to work as a team, but to unlock something. This is a serious negative outcome.

YES teamwork is nice, but a sense of personal achievement from acquiring  something someone ELSE may not have..

CoD/Insurgency/Battlefield. They all have good core FPS mechanics, but they are nothing but ego-farms and the only teamwork you find is with the team you bring. That's thankfully what sets this community as a whole apart.

Squad has achievements.

Its called working together better than the other team and achieving victory.

Squad has unlocks already.

I've unlocked ~20 friends since Closed Alpha.

Stick around a while, use your mic, work as a team, and it should start making sense soon enough :)

The only growth that should come in this game is friendship and its development imo

That's cheesy as shit but I agree completely.

Obviously there has been tons of shit about growth and customization and all that shit, and in all honesty most of it is crap. The only customization that should be allowed in game should be to real-world constraints. For example, the U.S. Army currently issues the ACOG, the M68 CCO, and several different EOTech models under the AN/PEQ designation. In my own opinion, you should be able to use all of those sights, but you really shouldn't have to unlock them.

I think that progression puts up needless barriers that divide the community and make the game harder to play. 

SQUAD's way of doing things is to give all members of the same kit the same stuff. It is good for balance, and it is also good for fostering the right mentality: that there are others like you, that you are not special, so focus on working with the squad rather than being that special snowflake with zebra camo on Fool's Road.

Progression turns it into a farm. On Red Orchestra 2, as much as I love that game, the progression system had me forced to stick in limited kits to use a gun I'm not even proficient at, just to unlock that badass belt to kill Bolshevik scum. In a game with tight limitations of kit PER SQUAD (RO2 is per team), we can't have people fooling around and wasting slots.

this game don't need progression, too much going on the battlefield so when game ends last thing you care is progression. Weak,booring,repetitive games need progression to keep gamers feeling good about them selves when they realize how one dimensional the game is. Squad  don't need character progression, too much going on.

Plenty of progression games out there, players compete with team members for petty points at the team's cost for personal gain.

Enough of that, we want teamplay - don't need a scoreboard, xp, progression or any sort of shiny, flashy messages to tell me "well done" or "you are awesome!"

For me I play this game for the teamplay, the coordination, were players aren't interested in whoring for points but each holds his ground to complete the mission and get out alive together.

That is what sets it apart.

WE DO NOT WANT PROGRESSION, POINTS OR SHINY ENCOURAGEMENT MESSAGES!

but the growth allows me to want to continue playing to 'get better / see whats next / and... unlock unlock unlock'.

Cancer, it kills games from the inside.

One of the main issues with unlocks and levels is that they cause players to lose focus on the task at hand.

If half your squad is busy farming towards their XP or buffs, there won't be a chance to really play it as it should be played.

XP is in your mind and your reflexes. Your unlocks are your ability to wage war with greater efficiency.