RipGroove

Can't exceed 50fps no matter what grahics settings?

Just to clarify I do get over 50fps on different combinations of servers and maps, my whole performance does seem to vary greatly depending on server/map/number of players/day of the week etc etc

Also in the 'Firing Range' I get 60FPS with MAX graphics settings with 200% res scaling and 99% GPU usage

But I just joined a full 70 slot server to do some graphics settings testing under full load with max players (Chora), but no matter what in game graphics settings used I couldn't exceed 50fps.

All graphics settings LOW (100% res scaling) = 50fps with 30/40% GPU usage (v-sync OFF)

All graphics settings MAX (200% res scaling) = 50fps with 50/60% GPU usage (v-sync OFF)

Usually when this sort  of thing happens it points to a CPU bottleneck, but I don't really see how an i7-4790k should be struggling and causing a bottleneck at LOW graphics settings at 100% res scaling at only 1080p?

My Windows power settings are set to 'High Performance', my nvidia control panel power settings are set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' and my BIOS is set up correctly for my CPU so the CPU should be working as intended. 

So in conclusion, what I must be seeing is the animation related CPU bottleneck that keeps getting talked about on the forums, which if that's the case then clearly its just a case of the game being in its Alpha stage and obviously still being worked on, which I fully accept and understand. But if that's true then how are people posting in the performance thread stating that they are getting 100+ fps, full max settings with res scaling at 1440p and beyond etc etc etc with similar specs to me? Surely we should ALL be suffering the CPU bottleneck if it's game/server related?

My spec for reference:

Mobo: MSI z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7-4790k (stock clocks 4.4GHz )
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA 980ti FTW 6GB (stock clocks 1190MHz Boost 1291MHz)
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600MHz
SSD1: Samsung EVO
SSD2: Samsung EVO
PSU: Corsair HX1000

I don't really see how I could improve my spec with regards to CPU without a massive outlay and my GPU should be more than capable with its 6GB of VRAM, especially as SQUAD is only using at most 60% of its power, I could upgrade my RAM to 32GB DDR4-2666 but I don't think that is the issue at all here. I did try to get a stable 4.6GHz OC out of my CPU but for some unknown reason it kept crashing (not BSOD) while stress testing, but with every crash it wiped the BIOS?! So not really sure what that was about but I couldn't figure it out so sadly I'm stuck with stock clocks as I got a little tired of constantly setting up the BIOS again after every OC tweak.

yeah its the same with me, im not sure how to fix it 

but in the firing range both my cards are at 99% usage at 100+fps but in 70man servers they are both at 45-50% usage at around 50+fps 

I have pretty much same specs, 4790k and 980ti and it's the same for me, you and everyone else right now. I know how you feel though, as it's hard to accept having expensive hardware and shitty performance :P

Dev's have said it's the animation system that is causing bad performance on high pop servers. I try stick to the 50-60p servers for now.

Undoubtedly there is other optimization things that can be done also. It will get better soon.

There are threads on config files to tweak, but no matter what you do - you won't see amazing performance on the 72p servers.

--

As for OC, stock voltage on my 2 different 4790s i can get 4.6GHz, needs voltage bump for 4.7GHz - passes stress tests. Can't get 4.8GHz stable no matter what i do (staying <1.3V).

The gains are so minimal i just stick to stock voltage and 4.6GHz now.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is handy for quickly making changes and testing, but i recommend once you've found your numbers getting them setup in BIOS.

The BIOS 'wipe' after OC failure is a safe guard of sorts, it goes back to 'optimized defaults'. Intel Extreme thing lets you save your profiles so once you get something you like, or steps that are stable you can save them as you go for reference.

But if that's true then how are people posting in the performance thread stating that they are getting 100+ fps, full max settings with res scaling at 1440p and beyond etc etc etc with similar specs to me? Surely we should ALL be suffering the CPU bottleneck if it's game/server related?

People fib. 

I have pretty much same specs, 4790k and 980ti and it's the same for me, you and everyone else right now. I know how you feel though, as it's hard to accept having expensive hardware and shitty performance :P

Dev's have said it's the animation system that is causing bad performance on high pop servers. I try stick to the 50-60p servers for now.

Undoubtedly there is other optimization things that can be done also. It will get better soon.

There are threads on config files to tweak, but no matter what you do - you won't see amazing performance on the 72p servers.

--

As for OC, stock voltage on my 2 different 4790s i can get 4.6GHz, needs voltage bump for 4.7GHz - passes stress tests. Can't get 4.8GHz stable no matter what i do (staying <1.3V).

The gains are so minimal i just stick to stock voltage and 4.6GHz now.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is handy for quickly making changes and testing, but i recommend once you've found your numbers getting them setup in BIOS.

The BIOS 'wipe' after OC failure is a safe guard of sorts, it goes back to 'optimized defaults'. Intel Extreme thing lets you save your profiles so once you get something you like, or steps that are stable you can save them as you go for reference.

I didn't actually think of that, doing a software OC first to test stability THEN apply it to BIOS to save the BIOS wipe, good thinking. Essentially all I did was up the voltage to 1.25 and set the multiplayer at x46 but for some reason it wouldn't play nice. Surely that's a pretty moderate expectation?

My Mobo has a pretty decent software app for OC's so maybe I'll try that. I'm a bit dubious thought that it'll still reset my BIOS upon a crash.

Also yes I usually try to stick to a 50 slot server maximum in order to maintain some sort of performance, I just figured today I'd go test absolute worst conditions to see what happened.

People fib.

That must be the case.

Also yes I usually try to stick to a 50 slot server maximum in order to maintain some sort of performance, I just figured today I'd go test absolute worst conditions to see what happened.

That must be the case.

Im on a Gigabyte mobo and if i get BSOD due to bad OC it still detects it and defaults back to optimized defaults or gives me the option to setup and boot.

I just select optimized defaults, load up intel extreme and load up my last profile to tweak further.

HWMonitor is awesome too: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I've found in the past turning off hyperthreading and Intel C states in BIOS help you eek out that tiny bit more in OC, but it's really not worth it unless you're really wanting to find the limit imo.

Here's my voltage (set to defaults) running 4.6GHz in Intel Extreme as an indicator, i doubt 1.25V would run much tbh, that's like a low power state voltage maybe?

By default i mean just allowing the system to ramp up to what it normally does for turbo boost or whatever they call it. I haven't added or set voltage manually for this.

CkaVm33.jpg

Im on a Gigabyte mobo and if i get BSOD due to bad OC it still detects it and defaults back to optimized defaults or gives me the option to setup and boot.

I just select optimized defaults, load up intel extreme and load up my last profile to tweak further.

HWMonitor is awesome too: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I've found in the past turning off hyperthreading and Intel C states in BIOS help you eek out that tiny bit more in OC, but it's really not worth it unless you're really wanting to find the limit imo.

Here's my voltage (set to defaults) running 4.6GHz in Intel Extreme as an indicator, i doubt 1.25V would run much tbh, that's like a low power state voltage maybe?

CkaVm33.jpg

Thanks dude, I'll have a look.

I give up with this OC, every time it crashes for some unknown reason my boot time goes to 30secs! Usually it's 6secs! Yesterday I fixed it by running sfc /scannow from cmd but today it's happened again and I can't fix it Even event viewer is warning me about my slow boot times.

Just to clarify I do get over 50fps on different combinations of servers and maps, my whole performance does seem to vary greatly depending on server/map/number of players/day of the week etc etc

Also in the 'Firing Range' I get 60FPS with MAX graphics settings with 200% res scaling and 99% GPU usage

But I just joined a full 70 slot server to do some graphics settings testing under full load with max players (Chora), but no matter what in game graphics settings used I couldn't exceed 50fps.

All graphics settings LOW (100% res scaling) = 50fps with 30/40% GPU usage (v-sync OFF)

All graphics settings MAX (200% res scaling) = 50fps with 50/60% GPU usage (v-sync OFF)

Usually when this sort  of thing happens it points to a CPU bottleneck, but I don't really see how an i7-4790k should be struggling and causing a bottleneck at LOW graphics settings at 100% res scaling at only 1080p?

My Windows power settings are set to 'High Performance', my nvidia control panel power settings are set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' and my BIOS is set up correctly for my CPU so the CPU should be working as intended. 

So in conclusion, what I must be seeing is the animation related CPU bottleneck that keeps getting talked about on the forums, which if that's the case then clearly its just a case of the game being in its Alpha stage and obviously still being worked on, which I fully accept and understand. But if that's true then how are people posting in the performance thread stating that they are getting 100+ fps, full max settings with res scaling at 1440p and beyond etc etc etc with similar specs to me? Surely we should ALL be suffering the CPU bottleneck if it's game/server related?

My spec for reference:

Mobo: MSI z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7-4790k (stock clocks 4.4GHz )
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA 980ti FTW 6GB (stock clocks 1190MHz Boost 1291MHz)
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600MHz
SSD1: Samsung EVO
SSD2: Samsung EVO
PSU: Corsair HX1000

I don't really see how I could improve my spec with regards to CPU without a massive outlay and my GPU should be more than capable with its 6GB of VRAM, especially as SQUAD is only using at most 60% of its power, I could upgrade my RAM to 32GB DDR4-2666 but I don't think that is the issue at all here. I did try to get a stable 4.6GHz OC out of my CPU but for some unknown reason it kept crashing (not BSOD) while stress testing, but with every crash it wiped the BIOS?! So not really sure what that was about but I couldn't figure it out so sadly I'm stuck with stock clocks as I got a little tired of constantly setting up the BIOS again after every OC tweak.

I got 50 fps when i playing on 40 players server with epic settings res 2560x1440

There's no point in killing your CPU while the game is still in alpha, wait for them to patch (that's what they told the DayZ players...) but i think they will have it fixed in time for the release.

There's no point in killing your CPU while the game is still in alpha, wait for patch (that's what they told the DayZ players...) but i think they will have it fixed in time for the release.

Yeah in light of all the OC issues I'm having I'm going to leave it stock. Just really pissed that it now keeps hanging on boot up and I can't sort it out.

Not sure what the issues are, if you want to play with OC that Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is good.

Other side of the coin, overclocking CPU isn't going to make get you the frames you want on high population servers.

Not sure what the issues are, if you want to play with OC that Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is good.

Other side of the coin, overclocking CPU isn't going to make get you the frames you want on high population servers.

No I figured, I'm happy in the under 50 servers at the minute.

This slow boot is driving me mad, I've spent all day pissing about with it. I'm going to do the Win10 upgrade, that's how desperate I am now! I figure it must be OS or software related as its hanging after the Windows logo so may a fresh (kind of) install will sort it out.

Wish I got 50fps in a 70 player servers.  :(

AMD who? In the bin that's who!!!  <_<

Time for a better GPU or do you mean the CPU performance? 

Because with a 290 and i7 3770k I get 40/50fps @1440p

If its the CPU you should state this in your post, We all know AMD CPU performance at this moment is lacking but your post is making it out even the GPU is lacking I can 100% say this is wrong owning a 290.

@OP At the moment we all bottlenecked by the games engine and its animation system.. This is hogging CPU performance sending all the players data to us is killing CPU time.

When the new animation system is in place we been told we should see a nice performance boost..

This is why right now you get better performance when offline.