Ghroznak

Deploying Bipods for Automatic Rifleman

42 posts in this topic

I love playing the AR for the suppression fire and overwatch.

Currently in the game this can often be tricky since you can't really deploy your bipod.

Sure, you can go prone and get the stability of a bipod automatically. That works fine.

But when you are on the move, especially on some of the maps with the large open fields which are boxed in by small walls/fences, it becomes rough for the AR simply because you have no way to stabilize your gun.

If you go prone you can't see nothing because of the vegetation, walls and so on. Heck, even grass on maps like Fools Road end up being problematic for ARs.

And if you stay crouched or standing behind walls and such your accuracy is out of the window and laying down suppression fire on an area ends up being tap firing rounds... which makes your role essentially the same as a regular rifleman.

Really need the AR to be able to deploy bipods ontop of cover, such as walls, rocks, sandbags, window sills or other types of surfaces which would naturally allow you to rest your weapon to improve stability. This would greatly enhance the AR effectiveness in base defenses as well. By deploying gun ontop of sandbag walls and similar allowing them to return fire effectively and duck into cover as needed rather than having to go prone on rooftops where it is near impossible for medics to revive them due to incoming fire.

RO2 has a great system for this, as do other games as well. I am sure they could be looked at in terms of implementing a solid weapon resting / bipod system which is currently it is lacking in Squad, and thus makes it tough for the AR to perform his role adequately.

It's coming. Can't remember what it will be like, but there are plenty on discussions on the forums about this topic :)

This is definitely high up on the priority list but it's a surprisingly time consuming system to implement. I'm not a dev but I would think the programming of it isn't the hardest part, theoretically the most difficult aspect is getting the animation system to work with it so (A you actually rest your weapon on the surface and (B your body doesn't freak out and shoot limbs in every direction because it can't work out the IK points.

And apart from making ARs easier to use when the deployment system is implemented in some form it'll also lay the groundwork for GPMGs, because if they were added now they'd be nearly unusable.

Here are two examples of where the bipod would be very useful... but in current implementation of the game I actually have to jump ontop of the HESCO or sandbags, then go prone to get stability enough to lay down any volume of fire into the area I am covering... which leaves me entirely exposed (and would get me killed fast).

If I was able to use the bipod I would have stability enough to not have to just snipe at passing enemies, but actually suppress them sufficiently to pin them down while rest of squad can also open fire or clear them with grenades.

It's very frustrating to not be able to perform the role of the AR, since squad is expecting you to shut down movement in the area you are covering with the LMG but you end up tap shooting like a rifleman (unless you are trying to perform a role as anti-air anyways).

2016_01_03_00001.jpg

2016_01_03_00002.jpg

RO2's deployment system is a nightmare for mappers though, EVERY object you can or want to deploy or rest your weapon on has to have a Cover Node, for small maps this is doable, but for maps the size we got in Squad will take a long time, so i hope they figure out something that is more time saving, maybe the UE4 editor has improved this system, i don't know, i only worked with the UE3 editor for RO2/RS.

Example of cover nodes at a fence:

11_zps814daad1.jpg

I don't see that there are really all that many objects that need the cover nodes.

Map type nodes would primarily be the fences/walls, holes in walls and windows.

Deployable nodes would be the sandbags, HESCO's and tractor tires.

There aren't really a lot of rocks and such (that I've seen anyhow so far) that are suitable for placing the bipod on, at least not securely (rocks are very sloped).

Other objects, such as vehicles (e.g. placing gun on the hood/bonnet of a car to support the gun) would include some work as well of course, but given that vehicles aren't in the game just yet they still have time to do that work on the cars so it's "bipod ready" when they are added.

I know RO2 has a cover system which allows you to stabilize the gun when leaned against the edge of a wall and such (connected with gun collision against the walls), but that wouldn't necessarily have to be added immediately. They could add the bipod system in iterations, such as allowing weapon support on sandbags and HESCO's for starters, then do more iterations allowing more areas to support weapon further down the line.

Then the AR's would at least start to find their role and function actually working rather than having to rely exclusively on being prone.

I don't see that there are really all that many objects that need the cover nodes.

If a cover node system was used it would only be worth it if every conceivable object could be used. This is especially true in Squad where you want every match on the same map to play out differently.

But you don't need a static cover node system. From what I understand Arma 3 uses a procedural node system where the player generates the node when they try to rest the weapon. I could be talking out my arse though, this is the understanding of the Arma system I have and it may be incorrect.

Forum search dude - all your answers are already in the forums...

Also, this game is still in Alpha. I'm pretty sure it took years AFTER Arma3 was launched before they had the 'weapon stabilization' mod added.

Forum search dude - all your answers are already in the forums...

Also, this game is still in Alpha. I'm pretty sure it took years AFTER Arma3 was launched before they had the 'weapon stabilization' mod added.

Not very encouraging if it should take years after Squad is launched before the AR role can function properly...

Not very encouraging if it should take years after Squad is launched before the AR role can function properly...

Don't worry, Arma is far from the standard when it comes to development pipelines. And OWI has pumped out a shitload of content in the relatively short time time they've been working on the game, and they haven't even had funding for most of that.

That's not what I'm saying mate, I'm saying that all of these things have been brought up before multiple times and the devs are aware of what we would like. There are more pressing matters at hand that they wish to get right first and then things like this will follow.

I am usually machine gunner and I miss this but I think the developers know about it already.

as a long time IRL saw gunner, i can say, alot of the need for bipods is mitigated by controlling your bursts, i see alot of people trying to make bursts WAAAAY too long, the diddy we used in the Corps was "DIE MOTHER FUCKER DIE!"

i will say they need more than 2 drums though, i regularly carried 3-4

Hey devs, can you make the search function extremely vibrant and annoying so that people don't keep posting the exact same thread once a day? I mean there's a difference between pointing out a genuine problem in game that needs to be talked about and then just posting "DEPLOYABLE BIPODS PLS" once or twice a day. 

Let's go ahead and make this thread the discussion on everything related to bipods then.

I was getting ready for bed when I saw that Tooner was uploading UE4 concept videos again.

***THIS IS PURELY CONCEPTUAL, IT IS SHARED TO SHOW BIPODS ARE POSSIBLE***

Let's go ahead and make this thread the discussion on everything related to bipods then.

I was getting ready for bed when I saw that Tooner was uploading UE4 concept videos again.

***THIS IS PURELY CONCEPTUAL, IT IS SHARED TO SHOW BIPODS ARE POSSIBLE***

I like the first few seconds of the video where he shows how the gun is resting against the blocks without even using bipod.

Bipod should give you more stability and also more pivot angle (field of fire) than simply resting the gun directly onto a support. The benefit of resting it directly would be quicker to deploy, and also allows non-bipod weapons to be rested as well.

Looks great and I really hope something that system is coming for Squad. Would make my day as an automatic rifleman for sure!

The RO2 cover node system works, but is ultimately frustrating as a lmg-er. "Hmm, I can deploy on this crate, but not the one next to it, even though they look EXACTLY the same"  Same with windows, rocks, downed trees etc. You'd end up with a similar situation in Squad. 

While I think a true deployed bipod solution is very cool, where the weapon rotates around the bipod, a possibly more simple solution of just weapon resting would be just as effective. So, rest your weapon with bipods folded on any object, or with bipod deployed, it acts the same but with the bipod acting as just a rigid part of the weapon. Not as nifty looking, but it gets the job done.

Hey Guys

Could find a post but been playing with a load of guys and we was querying wheres the bipods function and then realised there isnt one LOL.

Would be a great function to have so we can lay down some supressive fire .

Also would love to see a heavy machine gun team,would  requires two team members one who carrys the tripod and the other who carrys the machine gun pretty simple and then requires you to build it.

its just an idea but would be great for defending positions :)

thumbs up on the idea would be great :)

search engine is a wonderful thing.

when you lay down with a mg , there is a diff with the recoil.. the bipods function is working.

search engine is a wonderful thing.

when you lay down with a mg , there is a diff with the recoil.. the bipods function is working.

The point though is that being prone is very situational and in most situations in this game you cant go prone cause you see nothing if you do. That is why bipods deployed on walls, HESCOs, sandbags etc is urgently required.

The point though is that being prone is very situational and in most situations in this game you cant go prone cause you see nothing if you do. That is why bipods deployed on walls, HESCOs, sandbags etc is urgently required.

Yep instead of making track suits they should be working on bipods :P

it is funny watching people prone on ladders popping up and down while firing lmg

can it be as simple as:

player fires

if both bipod legs penetrate a solid mesh

then recoil=reduced

or recoil=normal

animations can be 

player moving bipod folded

player stops and ADS bipod unfolds

player moves bipod folds up

RO2's deployment system is a nightmare for mappers though, EVERY object you can or want to deploy or rest your weapon on has to have a Cover Node, for small maps this is doable, but for maps the size we got in Squad will take a long time, so i hope they figure out something that is more time saving, maybe the UE4 editor has improved this system, i don't know, i only worked with the UE3 editor for RO2/RS.

Example of cover nodes at a fence:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/dbzvl/cover/11_zps814daad1.jpg

They have plenty of early access (alpha) time on their hands.

As an AR already (and enjoying it too) I would like to see a working bipod system so that I can keep suppressing the enemy and that my squad can engage with less return fire from the enemy.

is all a bit ussless than the enemy see your hugh tracers ! and can spot your location in few seconds .... sure thats not use the tracers which can be seen only from one side ?? so its a little usless lmg