Valmont

Things not to copy from Arma 3

What are the things you dislike the most from Arma 3 that you don't want to see in Squad?

For me they are: 

The over complication of things in the form of for example:

Stances: There are so many stances and variations yet players only use perhaps 3 or 4 in the heat of combat. I strongly believe Squad should not follow this principle and go for the more intuitive and less bloated system found in insurgency.

The never ending sub menus:

You go to a car and get a menu with so many options that is super slow and does not feel immersive. A system like they want to implement in Day Z is much better. Example: You go to a car and: If you press E on the driver’s door you want to drive, if you press E on the trunk you want to check the car's inventory, if you have a fuel canister in your hand and click with it on the car's fuel tank you refuel it and so on, no sub menu for those actions but real actions.

General sluggishness and unresponsiveness:

All Arma games in general feel like this, there always seem to be some sort of input delay. Even when you kill somebody their body takes a few seconds to react to your shots and/or show any response. 

Lack of visual and sound feedback on events:

Most of the time in arma 3 you don't get to really appreciate what is going on because it lacks that PUCH during combat that other games have. You never hear allies screaming when shot at nor sound like they are under heavy fire like heavy breathing etc it all feels calm 99% of the time even in the most frantic battles.

Lack of map variety: The map is so big yet looks the same except for a few different land marks and special buildings here and there. It gets boring super fast.

The map is so big you always miss 99% of what is going on in it. So sad.

A much better approach would have been having 4 smaller maps with very different locations and assets for a variety of missions with much better FPS and variety.

The squad is thought to be spiritual successor to project reality , and not arma.

The squad is thought to be spiritual successor to project reality , and not arma.

I know, yet Squad aims to be more realistic than PR because PR had many engine limitations.

All I want to point out is that being free of engine limitations should not mean making the same mistakes the Arma devs made  ;)

Also, some of the same Arma 3 mistakes can also be found of PR, like the many sub menus, unintuitive stuff, clunky assets deployment mechanics etc. 

This is just another "bitch about ArmA 3" thread, and is completely irrelevant. They're not using ArmA as the prototype, they're using PR. And their primary goal isn't to create a successor to PR that's "more realistic".

This is just another "bitch about ArmA 3" thread, and is completely irrelevant. They're not using ArmA as the prototype, they're using PR. And their primary goal isn't to create a successor to PR that's more realistic.

Perhaps making a prettier PR not hindered by battlefield 2's engine will make it more realistic don't you think?

Perhaps making a prettier PR not hindered by battlefield 2's engine will make it more realistic don't you think?

Not really. Frankly, the terms "realism" and "immersion" are so subjective that they lost any kind of meaning on these forums. I'd love for everyone to never type them out ever again.

Who cares about Arma? Squad is succeeding Project Reality not Arma, so put Project Reality's flaws.

I definitely think it is relevant to look at what ArmA did wrong because there is certainly the risk that Squad would include some of ArmAs mistakes otherwise. PR hit the sweet spot but there are a lot of dumb vocal people out there calling for more 'realism' as opposed to teamplay and responsiveness and sluggish ArmA-influenced gameplay features that would just be awkward in Squad. Personally I don't think the free-look sprint system is a good idea at all (unless you hold a button to free look, which should be allowed always regardless) and it reminds me a lot of arma-esque lack of character control and sluggish, unintuitive gameplay. As such, it would be worrying if Squad started to implement more ArmA-style controls.

As for the specifics in this thread, I agree 100%, but it should be noted this thread has already been posted over and over, making spamming it out again pretty redundant.

``sluggish ArmA-influenced gameplay´´

A slow game creates an enabling environment for teamwork. have a quick game provides only a chaotic rush.

``sluggish ArmA-influenced gameplay´´

A slow game creates an enabling environment for teamwork. have a quick game provides only a chaotic rush.

But Arma is not only slow, it is also Sluggish in the sence of imput lag, visual feedback, body reactions, animations and controls. It is not only the gameplay that is slow but everything else too... and even worst than slow, it is unresponsive. 

But Arma is not only slow, it is also Sluggish in the sence of imput lag, visual feedback, body reactions, animations and controls. It is not only the gameplay that is slow but everything else too... and even worst than slow, it is unresponsive. 

Le sigh.

ArmA is super realistic if you're playing as an asthmatic person with tourette and mild cerebral palsy.

You should put that suggestions on ArmA´s forums for their next games. Maybe they apply them on Arma 4. Don´t see what that does have to do with Squad.

Most of the undesirable things about Arma are well known even by those of us who enjoy the game; If anyone tries to tell you arma's action menu is good I will personally feed them to the lions.

That said almost none of these things have anything to do with Squad or realism in general for that matter, they are just complaints about Arma's engine.

While I understand people are keen to create discussion around the game. This has been done to death... 'Please don't make it like COD, please don't make it like Arma'

While I understand people are keen to create discussion around the game. This has been done to death... 'Please don't make it like COD, please don't make it like Arma'

+1

Those that are down on Arma, either can't run it, or have never played in a really good group. Then the series is simply unbeatable.

Those that are down on Arma, either can't run it, or have never played in a really good group. Then the series is simply unbeatable.

This.

Most who complain about Arma are the ones who play things like KotH/Battle Royale/Altis Life etc. Sprinting all the while, perks, no fatigue management/fatigued disabled then cry about how unrealistic the weapon sway it. It's not perfect I'll give you that but it's not as bad as you kids make it out. Stop playing it like Battlefield and you will find it's an amazing experience.

Anyway, any more conversation about Arma then please take it to the Arma 3 thread http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/298-arma-3-players/

I will happily shoot down in flames all your wrong criticisms of the game there.

This.

Most who complain about Arma are the ones who play things like KotH/Battle Royale/Altis Life etc. Sprinting all the while, perks, no fatigue management/fatigued disabled then cry about how unrealistic the weapon sway it. It's not perfect I'll give you that but it's not as bad as you kids make it out. Stop playing it like Battlefield and you will find it's an amazing experience.

Anyway, any more conversation about Arma then please take it to the Arma 3 thread http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/298-arma-3-players/

I will happily shoot down in flames all your wrong criticisms of the game there.

Getting offended by strangers who criticise a game and trying to counter their criticism by pretty much insulting them make you look very mature. Congratulations on losing absolutely every bit of credibility.

There is no wrong or right criticism, there's just people overreacting to it...

Or you know, maybe they just don't like it. How crazy is it for all of you to consider the idea that people have different tastes and like different things?

It's like a religious war, "my game's better so I'm gonna kick your ass for liking another game!"

Getting offended by strangers who criticise a game and trying to counter their criticism by pretty much insulting them make you look very mature. Congratulations on losing absolutely every bit of credibility.

Or you know, maybe they just don't like it. How crazy is it for all of you to consider the idea that people have different tastes and like different things?

It's like a religious war, "my game's better so I'm gonna kick your ass for liking another game!"

Apoligies. An awful lot of players pick it up and join the most populated servers that run poorly made missions and base their opinions solely on that. Many don't take the time to learn how to correctly manage stamina, what stance is capable of etc. I love Arma but I will be the first to rip it to pieces as it does have many, many things wrong with it.

Anyway back on topic for things not to copy: Utterly tragic broken side VOIP and terrible, terrible performance in dense urban areas! 

Criticizing the incredibly fluid and dynamic stance system is a 'wrong' criticism IMO, there are plenty of places (especially in partially destroyed buildings) to make use of just about every single stance, the only two stances that aren't incredibly useful are the sideways urban prone stances, and that is purely because you really need to be able to use your sights even at most urban engagement ranges. The people who complain about A3's stance system look at a support beam sticking out over some rubble and think "there's no cover here" when in reality (and in Arma3) you can get down between the beam and the rubble.  And anyone calling Arma3 in its current state unresponsive just hasn't played Arma3 recently.

Arma3 has shitty VOIP, a clunky interaction system (similar to DF in that it works for how complex the game is, but because of the complexity, ends up being clunky) and terrible optimization.