Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Spoon

Inside vehicles and tanks

Is there any pictures going around what it looks like inside the tanks and Humvee.... I'm interested if it's accurate and pristine..... Thanks!!!!

Also some pictures from testing servers: http://imgur.com/gallery/ue0jr/new

:wub: 

I hope they dont make the same mistake Tripwire Interactive did with Red Orchestra 2. Skip the interior for MBTs, APCs, LAVs and so on, it's not necessary and takes a lot of time to create it for each asset.

I hope they wont make the same mistake Tripwire Interactive did with Red Orchestra 2. Skip the interior for MBTs, APCs, LAVs and so on, it's not necessary and takes a lot of time to create it for each asset.

I was about to say the exact same thing.

RO2 has been out for nearly 5 years now and they've only got 6 vehicles. This is due to the fact that modelling the interior of complex vehicles like tanks accurately can easily take longer than the entire exterior, and then there's also the unwrapping, texturing, baking and character interaction animations.

So don't count on interiors happening for any fully enclosed vehicles, unless you only ever want to see 2 or 3 heavy vehicles make it in-game..

Are the devs aiming for entire tank crews, where everyone has a specific role in the tank? If so, they will need to model the interiors, since it gives everyone in the tank a purpose. And it gives immersion. (i really hate using that word, it is too often used as a cheap excuse to beg for something) RO2 was hampered, but tanking was a blast. You could see what happens, who is down, and know what your role is. If we are going to simplify the tank into a silly UI like in BF3/4, then tank crews lose their purpose and only require one magical one-man crew to use.

Are the devs aiming for entire tank crews, where everyone has a specific role in the tank? If so, they will need to model the interiors, since it gives everyone in the tank a purpose. And it gives immersion. (i really hate using that word, it is too often used as a cheap excuse to beg for something) RO2 was hampered, but tanking was a blast. You could see what happens, who is down, and know what your role is. If we are going to simplify the tank into a silly UI like in BF3/4, then tank crews lose their purpose and only require one magical one-man crew to use.

I would imagine they would do it similar to how it is in PR where at least two crewman are required and the gun cannot be operated without someone in the driver position.

On the topic of interiors, I don't see a need. I'm not going to drive a tank to look at it's insides. Crewmen will be looking through scopes and vision blocks 99% of the time to find the enemy and see what is going on. Adding an option to open the hatches for better visibility would be very cool though.

It won't be like RO2. Driver & gunner, maybe a third seat for a commander or a 50.cal on the roof but it wont be more then 3 in a MBT as far as I know.

Take your time (i know you will) don't release anything broken (i know you won't) can't wait for them vehicles and become your personal driver.

I was about to say the exact same thing.

RO2 has been out for nearly 5 years now and they've only got 6 vehicles. This is due to the fact that modelling the interior of complex vehicles like tanks accurately can easily take longer than the entire exterior, and then there's also the unwrapping, texturing, baking and character interaction animations.

So don't count on interiors happening for any fully enclosed vehicles, unless you only ever want to see 2 or 3 heavy vehicles make it in-game..

It's very sad as some of the very well done mods for vehicles in Arma have amazing interiors but you are very right.

I'm sure too few people would appreciate the look of interiors if it were added but I can still hope in vain they'll add them in later.

I know a lot of people on the forums despise Arma but the way they've done vehicles in this regard is fine. You've got your driver, gunner and commander (depending on the vehicle). By default these crewman just have an out-looking camera, a few vehicles have interiors but most don't. The crew are also able to turn-out of their hatch but otherwise are not visible to anyone else. With this system you're still able to coordinate with your crew members and work as a team, so you still know your purpose.

Seeing downed crew can be represented through UI, and I know that would disappoint some people but it's an infinitely more efficient way of developing armoured vehicles. And although you are losing out on the chance to have something super immersive like the RO2 tank system you've got to weigh what is more immersive, having really detailed interiors of tanks, or having more than two armoured vehicles ever on the field.

Here's the Challenger 1 interior & gear/ammo stowage manual: www.scribd.com/doc/261576328/Tank-Challenger-Part-3-Stowage-Illustrations

1-d45afcef60.jpg
2-e230f24edd.jpg
3-663cc5ebbf.jpg
4-771ab1d35b.jpg
5-46904478f6.jpg
6-97ea165e07.jpg
7-dadeafbfed.jpg
8-78fe367f01.jpg
9-51e3234279.jpg

Edited by Results45

13 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

No interiors for gunners and drivers, only for passengers.

Why do you say this? I'd be really disappointed if that is the case..

Just now, Ziggy said:

Why do you say this? I'd be really disappointed if that is the case..

What part did disappoint you?

1 hour ago, ZiGreen said:

What part did disappoint you?

All of the APCs I know of have no dividers/doors between the driver-gunners compartment and the troop compartment. But I have only seen a handful irl and one or two online.